What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

It's acknowledged in our household that " Daddy makes the best Cheese omelette"  ..but Mrs H29 is having to go back to Hungary for a week shortly so Daddy has to feed the kids for a week

anyone know some more dishes involving eggs and cheese I can wow the kids with ?

PS Cheese on Toast with a Boiled egg has already been done

French toast? taz.gif
  • Like 1

Shillzz, on 18 Oct 2013 - 3:23 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 18 Oct 2013 - 3:21 PM, said:

It's acknowledged in our household that " Daddy makes the best Cheese omelette"  ..but Mrs H29 is having to go back to Hungary for a week shortly so Daddy has to feed the kids for a week

anyone know some more dishes involving eggs and cheese I can wow the kids with ?

Cheese & Bacon Pancakes?

Interesting .. sounds like hard work , but interesting 

Nah not really, put some eggs, milk and a small ish amount of flour into a bowl, whisk it up and fry away. You could ofcourse follow a recipe but as long as you're in the right ball park with quantities then it'll go ok.

• Like 1

French toast? taz.gif

Soufflé au fromage?

Spaghetti carbonara.

Variations on a quiche.

Tortilla.

(Why eggs and cheese, btw?  Must they be together in the dish?  Any other limitations?)

It's acknowledged in our household that " Daddy makes the best Cheese omelette" ..but Mrs H29 is having to go back to Hungary for a week shortly so Daddy has to feed the kids for a week

Spaghetti carbonara.

Variations on a quiche.

Tortilla.

(Why eggs and cheese, btw? Must they be together in the dish? Any other limitations?)

Well I have been known to knock up fish fingers and turkey twizzler thingys but to be fair the oven is doing all the work there .... but no not just egg and cheese it can be wider spread just so long as it can be prepared without any effort on my behalf

just so long as it can be prepared without any effort on my behalf

Then you need to search the thread using the term "Meathvillan".  ;)

How old are the kids?  Assuming they're under 12 and you want to give them things that are healthier than complete ready meals, that they might eat, and that don't involve much time or much cooking on your part, you could try things like:

Macaroni cheese.  Buy the best quality  cheese sauce you can find (the kind in plastic tubs in the chiller, not jars).  Warm gently.  Boil the pasta as directed.  Chuck in some frozen peas 3 mins before pasta is done, to smuggle some vitamins in there.  Drain pasta, mix all together, serve.

Pitta bread and dips.  Warm the pitta slightly and cut into fingers.  Serve with bought dips, and salad.  As well as pitta bread, get them to eat fingers of carrot and cucumber with the dips.  (Crudités!  Sacre bleu!)

"Kebabs".  Cook some sausages (or cooking chorizo if they are more adventurous) in the oven at 170 for 30 mins, but warm the oven first.  Jab holes in the sausages first so the fat runs out, and drain briefly on kitchen towel after cooking to get rid of even more fat.  Serve in pockets of warm pitta bread with  a table sauce and some chopped salad, for home-made kebabs.  And never speak of this to anyone from north India or Pakistan.

Fish in sauce.  Buy filleted white fish like cod or haddock, and a good quality ready made sauce, tomato works well, or something with a little chilli, or whatever you see that they would like.  Put the fish into a baking dish (put a tiny bit of oil into the dish first and spread it all over the base with your fingers, stop the fish sticking), pour the sauce over, cover with foil crimped at the edges to make it airtight, bake at 170 for 30 mins, or 20 mins if you heated the sauce in a pan first.  Make sure the oven is hot before you put it in.  Serve with boiled rice.  Wash the rice in a bowl in several changes of cold water, stirring the rice around a lot with your hand, keep on draining away and refilling to wash the starch out).  Cook the rice in boiling salted water for 10 mins (white) or 30 mins (brown). 

Alternatively for white rice, for a better result, wash rice as before and then put in saucepan with tight-fitting lid in which you have melted as much butter as you would spread on one piece of toast.  Take a piece of greaseproof paper, lay it flat, put the lid in the middle and fold the paper over the edges of the lid so you have clear folds all around the paper, in the shape of the lid.  Remove the lid, fold the paper again on the folds you've just made, so the paper is roughly the size and shape of the lid.  Add salt to the washed rice in the buttered pan, add enough water to cover by half a cm, bring to the boil.  As soon as it starts to boil, push the greaseproof paper circle down onto the water so it just touches, put the lid on, and turn down to low heat.  Set timer for 10 mins.  Don't remove the lid.  If steam is escaping rapidly, turn down further.  After 10 mins, take a fork, remove lid, stir rice a little, and taste.  If it's not quite done, replace paper and lid and leave for one minute.  If it's done, take off heat, mix with fork, serve.  Only a little more fiddly than just boiling in too much water and draining, but much better results.  Kids may not notice, though.

Pizza sandwich.  Buy some focaccia (say 4-6 ins square per person, or 10-15 cm in your case), some cured chorizo (ie doesn't need cooking) and some mozzarella (one ball in brine per person, on no account buy the cheap block stuff they claim is for pizzas, it's disgusting).  Heat the grill.  Slice the focaccia horizontally.  Slice the chorizo and mozzarella the thickness of a £1 coin or slightly thicker.  Place chorizo on one cut side of the bread, mozzarella on the other, grill until cheese is melting and chorizo is oozing fat and spices, remove from grill, sandwich together and serve.  The mozzarella will have stuck to the bread, the chorizo won't, so lay the mozzarella piece on the chorizo piece, not the other way round, but do it quickly and decisively anyway.  For added sophistication, place some fresh basil leaves on the cheese after removing from the grill and before sandwiching.

All of those things can be served with a salad.  You might be able to trick the kids into eating it by getting them to make the dressing (quarter teaspoon mustard from a jar, 2 tbsp good quality olive oil or one tbsp each of olive and sunflower, quarter tbsp wine vinegar or lemon juice, put in a clean jamjar with lid and shake vigorously, then mix into salad).

All involve things which are less good than doing everything from scratch, but better than complete ready meals, and a bit healthier.

Bonne chance, et bon appetit.

• Like 1

Tea-and-whiskey (note the "e") infused dried fruit!  Oh dear Jhasus, you can't be more Oirish than that!  The start of a christmas pudding.  Or cake.  Or mince pies, or summat.  Anyway, I claim my prize of a free meal (for two) at Meath's establishment.

And is this your home kitchen?  It looks a bit domestic.  :)

ps  What happened to the jug?  It looks like it lost a fight with a dog.

Yeah its the house just getting the bracks ready for halloween will post the recipe if it works out ....soaking the mixed fruit in tea and overnight will post more when tomorrow etc 

the jug if i remember rightly got melted by a blowtorch when I was doing some baked alaska 

Yeah its the house just getting the bracks ready for halloween will post the recipe if it works out ....soaking the mixed fruit in tea and overnight will post more when tomorrow etc 

the jug if i remember rightly got melted by a blowtorch when I was doing some baked alaska 

Bracks = barmbrack - gaelic breac =  fruity tea bread served at Halloween?

Bairín Breac...with a hot cup of scald 

Bairín Breac...with a hot cup of scald 

:)

Makes one 900g loaf
225g cream flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
375g packet of fruit mix
250ml cold tea
50ml of whiskey
125g light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice
A ring to place inside

Place the fruit mix in a bowl and pour over the whiskey and cold tea. Allow to soak up the liquid overnight.

Preheat the oven to 170˚C/Gas Mark 3 and grease and line a 900g loaf tin

Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and mixed spice in a mixing bowl.

Make a well and break in the egg, using a wooden spoon, mix the egg with the dry ingredients. Add a little bit of the liquid the fruit mix is sitting in and mix it through. You may not need all the liquid, you are looking for a wet dough.

Then stir through the fruit mix until everything is thoroughly combined

Spoon the wet dough into the lined loaf tin and place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 1 hour.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the loaf tin and placing on wire rack.

Cover in cling wrap and tin foil and allow to sit for 1-2 days ...glaze with some honey before cutting into it.

Edited by Meath_Villan

Makes one 900g loaf

225g cream flour

2 teaspoons of baking powder

375g packet of fruit mix

250ml cold tea

50ml of whiskey

125g light brown sugar

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice

A ring to place inside

Place the fruit mix in a bowl and pour over the whiskey and cold tea. Allow to soak up the liquid overnight.

Preheat the oven to 170˚C/Gas Mark 3 and grease and line a 900g loaf tin

Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and mixed spice in a mixing bowl.

Make a well and break in the egg, using a wooden spoon, mix the egg with the dry ingredients. Add a little bit of the liquid the fruit mix is sitting in and mix it through. You may not need all the liquid, you are looking for a wet dough.

Then stir through the fruit mix until everything is thoroughly combined

Spoon the wet dough into the lined loaf tin and place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 1 hour.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the loaf tin and placing on wire rack.

Cover in cling wrap and tin foil and allow to sit for 1-2 days ...glaze with some honey before cutting into it.

Where was that from? 

I robbed it from donal skehan hes and idiot but this recipe is bang on and  most recipes for the brack are the same just leaving out the booze .....and dont forget to add the charm or whatever it is 

my own recipe was too dry so I went looking 

Edited by Meath_Villan

Â