What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Rob, I make my mint sauce even more simply, just using yoghourt, concentrated mint sauce, and mango chutney, and blend together - gives that slightly sweet and yellow look that curry house mint sauces tend to have.

I did spend ages trying different things like adding turmeric, chilli powder, ect, but adding the mango chutney as per the above seems to be the majic "like a curry house" recipe.

Rob, I make my mint sauce even more simply, just using yoghourt, concentrated mint sauce, and mango chutney, and blend together - gives that slightly sweet and yellow look that curry house mint sauces tend to have.

I did spend ages trying different things like adding turmeric, chilli powder, ect, but adding the mango chutney as per the above seems to be the majic "like a curry house" recipe.

Mango chutney....I'll have to give that a try

Sounds quality mate!

Was fookin hot tho, it was pissing out of me! :eek:

Heh, ye lightweight :-)

Yeah bigtime, I'd never really been into spicy food, but I'm getting there slowly.

Each time we go over to Thailand I always feel a bit left out wimping out with the spicy food everyone eats out there.

We're out there for a month in May for the wedding etc, so I've got her building up my tolerance for the big trip bit by bit.

I'm eating stuff now that 12 months ago would have blown my head off, and probably burnt me a new arsehole.

Never thought I'd get into it, but I'm discovering a totally new world of food these days, and luvin it!

Ok here we go, masala dosa

First make a batter from rice, urad dahl and methi seed

dosa_00276c.JPG

Then make a masala filling from potato, onion, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, salt and garam masala

dosa_001459.JPG

Fry the dosas

dosa_00619d.JPG

dosa_007cf3.JPG

Put masal filling on dosa, and roll, and enjoy!

dosa_00894c.JPG

Ok here we go, masala dosa

First make a batter from rice, urad dahl and methi seed

Rob, I think this may need a bit more explanation.

Indeed.

3 cups of basmati, 2 cups of urad dahl, 4 teaspoons methi seeds. Put in a bowl and cover with water, about two inches above the contents. Leave to soak for 6 hours minimum

Drain, and spoon the dahl into a food processor about 6 or 7 tablespoons at a time. Add a bit of water and make a batter

Do this til all the dahl is gone

Add salt black pepper and dried methi

Leave in a covered container in a warm room for at least 6 hours.

Told ye it was time consuming :-)

After this you start frying the pancakes etc etc

do you order on line for your spices and stuff or do you have good local shop? I'm about an hour from Leicester, and the Belgrave area is second to none. But wondered if I might be better online.

Also I asked you about your cider on another thread, but I can't remember which one (Wonder why!) Where do you get yours from? Can you also give me a run down on your favourites - not really had much since a relative of mine died in Somerset (Natural causes, not from apple juice)

do you order on line for your spices and stuff or do you have good local shop? I'm about an hour from Leicester, and the Belgrave area is second to none. But wondered if I might be better online.

Also I asked you about your cider on another thread, but I can't remember which one (Wonder why!) Where do you get yours from? Can you also give me a run down on your favourites - not really had much since a relative of mine died in Somerset (Natural causes, not from apple juice)

I go to an Asian supermarket in Ward End, they have all the gear I need

And I did answer you about the el cid :-)

I go to Michaels Supermarket in Hobs Moat Solihull for the Amber, as my corner shop keep saying they can't get any

Rob, you could be a youtube star like the bbq pit boys. Showing people how to make **** good curries. A cross between the bbq pit boys and Delia Smith. Just don't entertain any thoughts of investing in Norwich City.

Found a wicked freshly made keema nan, kurdistani style at cape hill... only £1.50 but very filled and you watch the make the naan fresh from scratch (well for your one you see the dough shaped etc etc) but you can see them preparing the dough as well for others. Real fresh, real tasty, and cheap! The thing is huge too.

Right, taking day off work tom and going with the missus to Leicester. Good Indian meal and shopping for ingredients.

Can I have a good extensive spice list?! I want all the essentials. Going to have a dinner party on Saturday and its got to be good.

Not bothered about how much I spend. This year I'm concentrating on being good at at least 5/6 main meals, loads of the dips and sauces and also all the little bits!

I need to stop buying the crap in bags from Sainsburys!

I buy seeds (coriander, cumin, garam masala mix) and dry roast them before grinding to a powder.

What's in my cupboard:

Chilli powder

Crushed chilli

coriander powder

cumin

garam masala

methi dried

methi seeds (fenugreek)

black pepper coarse

turmeric

cloves and cinnamon bark ground to a powder and mixed together

asafoetida compound