Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Fognini is a total bottle job and Murray is nothing but a boring hacker, can't stand his game, no class, no elegance. 

:) Yes you are right about Fognini. He's got talent but what has he ever won. Murray I know some might disagree, is a poor mans Djokovoc but he has won three slams and two Olympic Golds and  a Davis Cup so you cant knock him. Just never warmed to him! in fact I think the womens game is more interesting than the mens now since  Serena is not playing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Murray is nothing but a boring hacker, can't stand his game, no class, no elegance. 

He's won grand slams, carried us to Davis Cup victory, won Olympic Golds and got the world number one. What more do you want from him?

He doesn't have the elegance of Federer or the dominance and power of Nadal but he's made the absolute best of the tools given to him.

• Like 4

Well hes not scrawny now. No no-one has worked harder than Andy murray to get where he is today. 100% dedication unlike many footballers. Its why the big four has stayed at the top for so long. Its not just talent. I wouldn't mind too much Murray and Konta were to have a dance at the ball. Really in 40 years since Virginia Wade won it in 77 this is the best chance for a Brit to win it. Konta looks in great form and despite the fall at Eastbourne she actually beat some very good opponents there like Ostapenko and Kerber. 

Throughly enjoyed Clownini entering the stage for the last half hour yesterday, beautiful stuff.

Murray will probably battle through to the quarters/semis as his draw is decent but difficult to see him taking out Nadal/Federer/Djokovic in 5 sets this time as his fitness just isn't there.

I see Cilic is still in....people were informing me he was going to be knocked out already. I'll stick to what I said pre tournament and say he could well be a shock winner this time.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Throughly enjoyed Clownini entering the stage for the last half hour yesterday, beautiful stuff.

Murray will probably battle through to the quarters/semis as his draw is decent but difficult to see him taking out Nadal/Federer/Djokovic in 5 sets this time as his fitness just isn't there.

I see Cilic is still in....people were informing me he was going to be knocked out already. I'll stick to what I said pre tournament and say he could well be a shock winner this time.

I backed Nadal as I just think he looks unbeatable at the moment. I hate to make accusations but I do not understand how he comes back from serious injuries  bigger, stronger faster everytime. I bet by the US Open he will have gone again

Edited by PaulC

It was but I couldn't understand when on break point 2nd serve Nadal was so far behind the baseline. he never got a grip on Mullers serve and Muller deserved to win. Opens it up for Murray now as it does Djokovic with Thiem knocked out. 

Murray will beat Querrey comfortably i think and then he'll likely play Cilic who is in good form so by no means certain of a final place yet though he has to be confident.

Dmitrov was a joke. Never believed in himself and made it easy for Fed

Yes only saw bits of that game but Dimitrov was useless. Problem for Federer is when every match is easy when you come up against a tough opponent like maybe Djokovoc in the semis then will he be ready for a battle. Mind you Raonic beat him last year so that's not a given

Only saw the last set (still felt like I'd watch a proper length match given it went on for over 2 hours) but that was huge from Gilles Muller. Very few have outlasted Nadal like that, he really is a wall at that stage of a game but Gilles came up with good serves at the right time and finally got a play on a match point.

Think he'll suffer next match though. Come down from the win and the 5 hours on court. I can see Cilic beating Murray aswell, he's a monster on grass atm.

yeah Halep will be a very tough one for her. I think they're undeestimating Muguruza and Halep in those odds. 

Scheduling has been shown up again - should play Sunday just like all the other slams, or at least moved Djokovic onto Centre court when Rafa's match moved into a 5th set. rain due tomorrow - going to be a cluster ****, they have to play Djokovic early and finish all the women's quarter finals

• Like 1

The only two times Konta has played Halep  Konta won both matches and  with her serve on grass I definitely. make her favourite. All the people I speak to fancy Coco. She beat Konta at the Priory.  

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

yeah Halep will be a very tough one for her. I think they're undeestimating Muguruza and Halep in those odds. 

Scheduling has been shown up again - should play Sunday just like all the other slams, or at least moved Djokovic onto Centre court when Rafa's match moved into a 5th set. rain due tomorrow - going to be a cluster ****, they have to play Djokovic early and finish all the women's quarter finals

Yes they will get the center court matches played because if the roof but what they do with the court one quarters I don't know

Regarding Konta's chances. I think she will beat Halep and then meet either Venus Willaims or Ostapenko. I fancy she would have too much speed for Willaims but with Ostapenko it would be on her racket like it was at Eastbourne when Konta narrowly beat her so for me that's a 50/50 match. 

Â