Relegation thread

Knutserov13

17 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Disagree, I'd rather face a West Ham team needing something than with the pressure off. They would be delighted to send us down and if they are safe would go all out to make that happen.

I'm leaning towards this. The pressure could lead to errors. I know the same is for us but I think I'd rather play them under the same amount of pressure as us.

• Like 1

The Watford relegation picks thread is an interesting read, they’re a special bunch. They’re almost all universally positive/deluded. When discussing the permutations they all seem to only consider themselves staying up and mostly forget about Bournemouth and Villa who have the easiest fixtures on paper.

They also seem to think that if they played against Newcastle over the rest of the season they would’ve stayed up, which is a bizarrely low bar to be setting.

They are fickle - like most football fans

Edited by messi11
  • Like 1

Watford losing tonight is definitely the better result for us because we have a much better chance of matching their goal difference which means it might not take as many points to finish above them as it would take to finish above West Ham.

And we're going to be nervous against West Ham on the last day of the season whether they need to win or not, if one of our rivals were playing West Ham on the final day we'd be worried if West Ham had nothing to play for, it would be used as a reason why our rival would be more likely to get three points, so not sure why we ourselves wouldn't prefer to play them when they're already safe.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Watford losing tonight is definitely the better result for us because we have a much better chance of matching their goal difference which means it might not take as many points to finish above them as it would take to finish above West Ham.

And we're going to be nervous against West Ham on the last day of the season whether they need to win or not, if one of our rivals were playing West Ham on the final day we'd be worried if West Ham had nothing to play for, it would be used as a reason why our rival would be more likely to get three points, so not sure why we ourselves wouldn't prefer to play them when they're already safe.

West Ham game will be meaningless because we'll lose to Arsenal.

We could lose to Arsenal and still stay up, if Watford lose tonight and then get beat by three or four goals to City, Again illustrates why them losing tonight is a better result for us.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

We could lose to Arsenal and still stay up, if Watford lose tonight and then get beat by three or four goals to City, Again illustrates why them losing tonight is a better result for us.

That's assuming Bournemouth will lose both their games.

They don't have to lose both of them, in that scenario they'd only have to lose one, them losing a game and us winning one would see our goal difference become better than theirs. Or they could draw both games.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Villastine said:

I still believe. Villa supporters deserve to stay up

Yes the supporters deserve better. Average of 41600 is incredible for a team at the bottom and would be more if we had a bigger potential. Potential at Villa is great we deserve a better manager and better players. We should not accept mediocrity and being a yoyo club

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mathematically relegated if we lose to Arsenal and Watford - Bournemouth draw today.

Worst part of it is.. it's a very likely scenario.

I don't see Watford and Bournemouth drawing today :P

Edited by JPAngel

Last week we was 7pts behind Watford and West Ham.......... Now we've closed it to 3......  thats a 4pt gain...... We're breathing on the necks of Watford and West Ham. If one loses tonight they are DOWN (Hopefully Watford) 

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

We got 4 points in them 4 games in spite of him

From memory he was subbed in the Brighton game when we were losing. He certainly was in the Watford game as Doug came on and was fantastic and played a big part in turning that into a win which still could be crucial.

Just had a look and West Brom/Watford double is 4/1 tonight so that's my insurance bet right there as I can see West Brom grinding out the most boring 1-0 win tonight.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Watford and west ham will play out a dtaw im sure of that. Has 0-0 all over it.

We blew it yet again and have no one but ourselves to blame.

Too many bottlers and wimps in this team. We need to sign some hard bastards in the summer with passion

I'm not sure really. They won't just be looking at us but Bournemouth who have shown some fight and could get 4 points from their last 2.

I think West Ham will win as they've been pretty good at home since Moyes took over. Beat Bournemouth 4-0 in his first game, won v Chelsea the other week and also beat Southampton 3-1 just before things were stopped. Only lost to Burnley due to an amazing Pope performance in goal.

I think they'll beat Watford 2-0.

5 hours ago, useless said:

I had a look on a Southampton forum and a lot of them were saying that they have a soft spot for Bournemouth. Think from a fans point of view they'd rather see us go down, as we'd been seen as more of a threat in the premier league.

Surprised by that. Saw a few fans commented elsewhere that they laugh at the fake rivarly Bournemouth have tried to create since being in premier league and them outgrowing Poole Town so I assumed Southampton would want to send them on the way back down. They would also be in good position to pick up some of their players.

Bit like when we sent Coventry down all those years ago.