Do you read?

Luke_W

40 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I certainly did and I was watching an old TV programme the other day, discussing modernism, and it go a mention.

I think it might have been mentioned that modernist authors have terrible difficulty in finishing. 😀

I finally got through it, but bloody hell it was hard work. Comparisons with Joyce and Proust well wide of the mark, imo. 

• 4 weeks later...

Determined to seek a bit of comfort and familiarity through these dark and chilly days of January, I decided to re-read Iain Banks's best book, The Crow Road.

Its just as good as I vaguely remember it.

Some say it is his best book, and I wouldn't disagree.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Determined to seek a bit of comfort and familiarity through these dark and chilly days of January, I decided to re-read Iain Banks's best book, The Crow Road.

Its just as good as I vaguely remember it.

Some say it is his best book, and I wouldn't disagree.

Never read that one. I'm a big fan of The Bridge, though. 

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I never got round to reading his science-fiction, did you?

Some of it, yeah. Enjoyed it, but it was a long time ago. I've still got 3 or 4 unread of his Culture novels. Not high on my 'to read' list, tbh. 

• Thanks 1

WG Sebald's Austerlitz ... amazing, strange, slowly entrancing novel. It's truly an English novel, but written by a German ex-pat. I think it's the best novel in English from the last 25 years.

spacer.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

WG Sebald's Austerlitz ... amazing, strange, slowly entrancing novel. It's truly an English novel, but written by a German ex-pat. I think it's the best novel in English from the last 25 years.

spacer.png

I like The Rings of Saturn, too. 

Just finished Malcolm Bradbury's 'To the Hermitage', and started on Joyce's 'Dubliners'. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just finished Malcolm Bradbury's 'To the Hermitage', and started on Joyce's 'Dubliners'. 

Was re-reading “A Painful Case” today!

• Like 1

On 24/01/2024 at 19:43, mjmooney said:

I really enjoyed The Rings of Saturn, and for those who might not be familiar with it, it is about a German guy's fascination with the landscape of the East Anglian coast, which he finds has sort of mystic qualities.

Having stayed at my aunt's cottage as a child, I have to agree that the landscape seems hauntingly mysterious, with its strange network of Dykes.

It has the sort of spooky strangeness which David Lean attempted to capture in his film of Great Expectations, or even Jonathan Miller's production of Whistle and I'll Come to You.

• Like 2

Not quite in the same high brow mode as much of the last couple of pages, but I just finished The Enchanters by James Ellroy and it's another glorious romp through his favourite historical period, playing fast and loose with fact and reputation, often with just enough truth to keep him out of court.

He's my go-to easy read.

• Like 1

Could be one for the piss you off thread but recently it seems like all new books are more expensive on the Kindle than hardback.  There must be very little printing, distribution or warehouse costs involved surely so how can they charge more?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not quite in the same high brow mode as much of the last couple of pages, but I just finished The Enchanters by James Ellroy and it's another glorious romp through his favourite historical period, playing fast and loose with fact and reputation, often with just enough truth to keep him out of court.

He's my go-to easy read.

Ooh, didn't know this was out. That said, as a big fan of the original LA Quartet (and a 40s nerd) I had really looked forward to Perfidia, but was actually a bit disappointed with it. I haven't read This Storm. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ooh, didn't know this was out. That said, as a big fan of the original LA Quartet (and a 40s nerd) I had really looked forward to Perfidia, but was actually a bit disappointed with it. I haven't read This Storm. 

There seems to be a bit more fun in the most recent ones - The Enchanters and Widespread Panic - Freddy Otash, is quite a character (and, as is the way of these things, was actually a real person of much the same qualities).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's my go-to easy read.

No one should get snooty about James Ellroy, he's a master at what he does.

I love pulp and it is lamentable that so little Dan Turner is available at a reasonable price.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

No one should get snooty about James Ellroy, he's a master at what he does.

He's absolutely brilliant at what he does - the world he has created, with all these crossover characters and the weaving in of real events is amazing,.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It has the sort of spooky strangeness which David Lean attempted to capture in his film of Great Expectations, or even Jonathan Miller's production of Whistle and I'll Come to You.

You've sorted my film streaming plans for the weekend -- thanks! 😉

Â