Do you read?

Luke_W

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My 'rule' (in theory) is only one novel at a time, but no limit on dipping into non-fiction, short stories or poetry. I'm already breaking it with two novels. Oh, and I've just come back from a charity shop raid with a copy of Keith Richards' autobiography (hardback, £1.50, rude not to, etc.) 

Yeah that's wise. Generally it's 1 fiction for bed time - usually, re-reading something like a Sharpe, or Rebus or something light or a memoir. Main fiction book, then 2 non-fiction options, 5th book is a wild card. 

Though speaking of memoirs, reading Adrian Edmondson's at the moment and it is great fun, easily one of the better celeb memoirs I've read. Entertaining and self-deprecating, comes across as a very normal guy really. Not that abnormal is wrong obviously.  Also a shout out for Dear Life, by Rachel Clarke, though that's a slightly bleaker / life-affirming reflection on death and hospice care.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Yeah that's wise. Generally it's 1 fiction for bed time - usually, re-reading something like a Sharpe, or Rebus or something light or a memoir. Main fiction book, then 2 non-fiction options, 5th book is a wild card. 

Though speaking of memoirs, reading Adrian Edmondson's at the moment and it is great fun, easily one of the better celeb memoirs I've read. Entertaining and self-deprecating, comes across as a very normal guy really. Not that abnormal is wrong obviously.  Also a shout out for Dear Life, by Rachel Clarke, though that's a slightly bleaker / life-affirming reflection on death and hospice care.

I've seen a few interviews with him about his book, and he comes across as a very wise and articulate chap.

He used the term 'kintsugi' to describe someone who survives their childhood trauma.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
spelling

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I used to write reviews on Amazon but when I wrote a negative one, it got taken down, so I decided that if only positive reviews were allowed, reviews had no value whatsoever.

I've put loads of negative reviews on Amazon, never had one taken down. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've put loads of negative reviews on Amazon, never had one taken down. 

I can't remember what my negative review was of but it wasn't abusive, or anything - I assumed that the vendor had complained and Amazon complied.

Funny enough, I consider the one or two star reviews the most useful, when assessing books, because so many of the positive reviews don't seem authentic a lot of the time, as if someone was paid to write them.

Amazon keep sending me emails reminding me to write reviews but I haven't bothered since.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2023 at 09:57, AvfcRigo82 said:

I've used the app My Library to catalogue all of mine. Easy to use and saved no end of time.

Simply scan the barcode and the app does the rest.  Hope this helps.

Cheers. My Library, Libib and Library Thing all seem to be similar so i'll have a look and choose one. 

On 07/10/2023 at 22:01, mjmooney said:

I'd have thought that's a straightforward Excel job. 

Thats the backup plan!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cheers. My Library, Libib and Library Thing all seem to be similar so i'll have a look and choose one. 

Thats the backup plan!

Yeah, I dare say it's splitting feathers on them really and doubt there's that much difference in them.

I recall when cataloguing mine it took around just under 3 hours. Current count is 488 books (Approx 30 of those are Villa related).

Latest purchased addition to the collection, The Kenneth Williams Diaries, which should be an interesting read.  😉

• Thanks 1

My daughter bought me a book called The Paintings that revolutionised art, fairly substantial book, a page of text on a particular painting and a picture of said painting. Its a good intro for me regarding art that is outside of my interest, working from 13th century to 20th century. 13th Century is very heavy on religious iconography, but still very interesting.

Does anyone have a favourite book shop as a go to as such, or know of any really good ones.

(More on the preloved side and not Waterstones/WH Smith etc.)

I came across a good one in Southport a few months back, however, their prices took the piss a little which was a shame and equally disappointing.

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Does anyone have a favourite book shop as a go to as such, or know of any really good ones.

(More on the preloved side and not Waterstones/WH Smith etc.)

I came across a good one in Southport a few months back, however, their prices took the piss a little which was a shame and equally disappointing.

Just go to Hay on Wye. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Well this is where amazon and others have taken the piss. They can subsidise things like books which creates unrealistic expectations among consumers re how much things actually cost for smaller stores. But with books, surely the difference can't be more than a quid or too.

Anyway, Topping & Co. in Bath is lovely, Hay on Wye obviously as Mike says, so many great bookshops. I do like Foyles when I'm in London I try and make sure I go there. 

• Thanks 1

There is a great independent book shop in Crickhowell, Book-ish. I don't think I have been in better. Also in Rochester, Kent there is Baggins Book Bazaar, this is purely second hand books and prior to this year it had been 30 years since I had been in there, it had not changed a single bit in those 30 years, which was reassuring.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Well this is where amazon and others have taken the piss. They can subsidise things like books which creates unrealistic expectations among consumers re how much things actually cost for smaller stores. But with books, surely the difference can't be more than a quid or too.

Yeah I agree with you.

An example, One book in particular caught my eye which was in the comic book/action hero genre and published in the 70's... open the front page to find the price pencilled in at £84! I don't care how old or rare the book might be, that just takes the piss!

Even the dozens of annuals from 70's/80's like Beezer/Topper that you can find anywhere ten a penny were priced considerably higher than other places.

I'm not sure why this shop in Southport thought greed was nessecary. I can't see much stock turnover happening there at those prices.

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yeah I agree with you.

An example, One book in particular caught my eye which was in the comic book/action hero genre and published in the 70's... open the front page to find the price pencilled in at £84! I don't care how old or rare the book might be, that just takes the piss!

Even the dozens of annuals from 70's/80's like Beezer/Topper that you can find anywhere ten a penny were priced considerably higher than other places.

I'm not sure why this shop in Southport thought greed was nessecary. I can't see much stock turnover happening there at those prices.

Oh, I guess second hand and rare books will be different. Sorry was only thinking of new fiction etc. Probably in these instances, they'll have established the rarity of the book from catalogues and be aware of prospective demand I guess, knowing that similar material will have sold for that sum. Presumably they think there's a good chance that a collector out there will stumble onto it at some point and be willing to pay. 

Next month I'm off to an Antiquarian bookseller seminar for a few days, as I'm contemplating ( very vaguely ) a possible career switch in that direction so hopefully I'll have a better idea of stuff like this 😄

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Probably in these instances, they'll have established the rarity of the book from catalogues and be aware of prospective demand I guess, knowing that similar material will have sold for that sum. Presumably they think there's a good chance that a collector out there will stumble onto it at some point and be willing to pay. 

Yeah I accept that to a degree, but still.

The fact their mark up on other books that are widely available everywhere tells me it was still slightly overpriced.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

AbeBooks is a good online hub of secondhand bookshops (caveat: it's owned by Amazon). 

Or there's World of Books

And it's always worth checking eBay if you're looking for something specific. 

Yes definately. World of Books I've used frequently and they're pretty decent. The Amazon Ade one you mention I had not heard of but I'll put to use.

I generally find the browsing of book shops quite nostalgic. Often when frequenting them you tend to stumble across books that you possibly wouldn't have thought about searching for online.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I generally find the browsing of book shops quite nostalgic. Often when frequenting them you tend to stumble across books that you possibly wouldn't have thought about searching for online.

Definitely. You occasionally find an upmarket one that has lots of antiquarian stuff, plus Folio Society editions. And everything else in hardback, with clear plastic protective covers. Obviously on the pricey side, but often mouthwatering. I usually have to get out fast or I'm doomed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yes definately. World of Books I've used frequently and they're pretty decent. The Amazon Ade one you mention I had not heard of but I'll put to use.

Hay on Wye is guaranteed to make you feel like Buridan's ass (cue KW meme), as it's impossible to decide whether to stop in the shop you are in or try another.

Just to add to the wonder of the place, on my first visit, the first book I randomly picked up was about the history of the place where I was living at the time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Hay on Wye is guaranteed to make you feel like Buridan's ass (cue KW meme), as it's impossible to decide whether to stop in the shop you are in or try another.

Just to add to the wonder of the place, on my first visit, the first book I randomly picked up was about the history of the place where I was living at the time.

I've already decided i'll be getting b&b accomodation in the coming weeks and spending a week down there, I think it'll probably take that long to get round the whole place with the amount of book shops on offer.

Â