Do you read?

Luke_W

511kZ8AOOxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mary Lawrence was a Catholic girl brought up to be pious, meek and hardworking and whose only ambition was to become a nun. Yet in 1928 Mary Lawrence was the subject of one of the most protracted and harrowing exorcisms carried out this century: an exorcism where the priests in attendance seriously doubted wether in this particular instance, good would triumph over evil. 

supposed true story, there is quite a bit of info scattered about on the net about it and it is one of the more famous exorcism's.

haven't started it yet, I'm going to have a quiet Friday night tonight and get started on it

I'm 3/4 of the way through 'the twelve' by Justin Cronin, going to try and get it finished in the early hours of tomorrow morning

then I have got a **** load of supposed ''paranormal non fiction'' to get through, I think I have got about 4 or 5 of them kind of books then another 2 fiction ones to read

pretty much all that I am doing lately is reading

Is it good? I'll have to wait untill May before the swedish edition is out. :(

YeAh it's really good but I would recommend giving yourself a little refresher on the passage before reading it, some of the characters took a while to get them back in my head if you get me.

It's pretty different to the first book but I haven't found that this one drags as much as the passage did, at times I struggled with that to be honest even though I thought it was brilliant lol

It wasn't that long ago that I read it so I don't think it'll be a problem. :) It was a bit slow at times, but very good. Loved it.

I finished this last night.

A few things I will say about it

It flows a lot easier than the last one and he has toned down that kind of poetic style of description that he used in the first book which is probably why this one is only 500 pages instead of the passages 700.

The intertwining stories work well but can be pretty confusing trying to remember who is who.

Amy isn't as much of a predominant figure in the book and I thought she actually came across as one of the weaker characters in it.

Some parts seem to have been lifted directly from the stand by Stephen King

also to save you getting lost with the characters THERE IS A GUIDE AT THE BACK OF THE BOOK TO TELL YOU WHO IS WHO...jesus H christ I could have done with knowing that before I got the end and found it

Halfway through Stephen King's Under The Dome - so far it's brilliant and have heard rumours it's due to be made into a television mini-series - which I can envisage being excellent if done properly.

No rumoured about it buddy - its set to premiere on CBS on 24th July this year. 13 episodes. No news on who Big Jim or Barbie have been cast as yet, but there are a few confirmed castings already. It had a teaser trailer during the Superbowl.

Also, if you are a Constant Reader, as I am, you may be interested to hear they're turning the short story Gramma into a movie, starring the kid from The Walking Dead.

Oh, and would love to hear your thoughts on the end of UTD, especially the reveal of the cause of the dome.

Finished now and thought it was a cracking read - as for the reveal and ending it would be wrong to say it was a complete cop out but it was kind of abrupt. However, it didn't detract from the whole story and the positions the residents were put through.

Really looking forward to the serialisation onto the small screen - hopefully Big Jim Rennie and Barbie will be cast appropriately!

Will check out Gramma on your advise!

Halfway through Stephen King's Under The Dome - so far it's brilliant and have heard rumours it's due to be made into a television mini-series - which I can envisage being excellent if done properly.

No rumoured about it buddy - its set to premiere on CBS on 24th July this year. 13 episodes. No news on who Big Jim or Barbie have been cast as yet, but there are a few confirmed castings already. It had a teaser trailer during the Superbowl.

Also, if you are a Constant Reader, as I am, you may be interested to hear they're turning the short story Gramma into a movie, starring the kid from The Walking Dead.

Oh, and would love to hear your thoughts on the end of UTD, especially the reveal of the cause of the dome.

Finished now and thought it was a cracking read - as for the reveal and ending it would be wrong to say it was a complete cop out but it was kind of abrupt. However, it didn't detract from the whole story and the positions the residents were put through.

Really looking forward to the serialisation onto the small screen - hopefully Big Jim Rennie and Barbie will be cast appropriately!

Will check out Gramma on your advise!

Gramma is in the short story compilation Skeleton Crew, which is probably his best short/novella collection. The Mist is in there, there's already a cracking film version of that. And Gramma has already been done too, but for TV, Twilight Zone or something similar.

It's a nice short, but I think the filmic version will be like 1408 on that they're going to have to flesh it out quite a lot so it isn't boring, basically.

Skeleton Crew is highly recommended though. Has his very best short in there - The Jaunt - which is faaaantastic.

LONGER THAN YOU THINK, DAD. LONGER THAN YOU THINK!

• Like 1

ok then I am currently finishing off 'teatro grottesco' that I mentioned on the other page and have just been out and bought a further 3 books (I now have 11 or 12 books to read, I'm going to put a ban on myself from going to waterstones and amazon)

Turn of the Screw

51oMuGGT04L._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

This Wordsworth includes an exclusive Introduction and Notes by Dr Claire Seymour, University of Kent at Canterbury.

The Turn of the Screw is the classic ghost story for which James is most remembered. Set in a country house, it is a chilling tale of the supernatural told by a master of the genre.

The Aspern Papers is a tale of Americans in Europe, a theme in which Henry James is at his most assured and accomplished. The author cleverly evokes the drama of comédie humaine against the settings of a Venetian palace.

51bqVf0FskL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.'

A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel - a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with exuberant humour the irrationality of adult attitudes to race and class in the Deep South of the thirties. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina of one man's struggle for justice. But the weight of history will only tolerate so much.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a coming-of-age story, an anti-racist novel, a historical drama of the Great Depression and a sublime example of the Southern writing tradition.

And then because I cant just stick to the classics I thought I had better throw in this

519tjhXhn1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This long-awaited sequel to the bestselling Zombie Apocalypse! is once again a 'mosaic novel' which weaves together contributions from big-name horror writers in the form of essays, reports, letters, official documents and transcripts to create a coherent and compelling narrative. In volume one old-school, flesh-eating zombies spread 'The Death' around the world. Now, the fightback begins. Praise for Zombie Apocalypse: Clever, gruesome, poignant and pacy . . . it's hard to avoid this book's clutches - much like the shambling corpses that fill its pages. Financial Times. 'An innovative, collaborative venture.' The Bookseller. 'Moving, funny, terrifying and strikingly original.' SFX.

The first one was pretty decent so I'll give this one a go as well

ok then I am currently finishing off 'teatro grottesco' that I mentioned on the other page and have just been out and bought a further 3 books (I now have 11 or 12 books to read, I'm going to put a ban on myself from going to waterstones and amazon)

I've been meaning to thank you for recommending Thomas Ligotti. He really is an extraordinary writer, absolutely love Teatro Grottesco and looking forward to reading his other stuff.

I've been meaning to thank you for recommending Thomas Ligotti. He really is an extraordinary writer, absolutely love Teatro Grottesco and looking forward to reading his other stuff.

No worries, it has taken me a while to get through ''Teatro Grottesco'' but I'm not too worried about that because they are all short stories but so far I am loving them (though they are pretty **** bleak aint they)

you need to get ''my work is not yet done'' by him I thought that was brilliant.

I know this sounds stupid but to me he comes across as one of the more educated horror writers of today.

Never read any of his stuff before to be honest moon man but I read this a while back and have been wanting to read turn of the screw ever since

51HT6sriAaL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

A sinister Gothic tale in the tradition of The Woman in Black and The Fall of the House of Usher

1891. In a remote and crumbling New England mansion, 12-year-old orphan Florence is neglected by her guardian uncle and banned from reading. Left to her own devices she devours books in secret and talks to herself - and narrates this, her story - in a unique language of her own invention. By night, she sleepwalks the corridors like one of the old house's many ghosts and is troubled by a recurrent dream in which a mysterious woman appears to threaten her younger brother Giles. Sometimes Florence doesn't sleepwalk at all, but simply pretends to so she can roam at will and search the house for clues to her own baffling past.

After the sudden violent death of the children's first governess, a second teacher, Miss Taylor, arrives, and immediately strange phenomena begin to occur. Florence becomes convinced that the new governess is a vengeful and malevolent spirit who means to do Giles harm. Against this powerful supernatural enemy, and without any adult to whom she can turn for help, Florence must use all her intelligence and ingenuity to both protect her little brother and preserve her private world.

Inspired by and in the tradition of Henry James' s The Turn of the Screw, Florence & Giles is a gripping gothic page-turner told in a startlingly different and wonderfully captivating narrative voice.

51da1t0keNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"The Best of Dennis Wheatley" brings together three of his best-known works in one book. "The Devil Rides Out": in 1930s London, Duc de Richleau and Rex van Ryn rescue their friend Simon Aron from a devil-worshipping cult. Rex falls for a woman named Tanith and takes her away from the cult. The group's leader comes after them, and there is a desperate struggle to defeat the Angel of Death and escape the cult leader, Mocata. "To the Devil a Daughter" tells the story of a group of practising Satanists who disguise themselves as 'The Children of the Lord'. Catherine - a nun - is one of this group. She is allowed to come home once a year on her birthday. On one of these trips home, an occult writer named John Verney realizes that the group are Satanists and are preparing Catherine to become an avatar of Astaroth on her eighteenth birthday. "Gateway to Hell" sees the return of characters from "The Devil Rides Out". Rex van Ryn steals more than a million dollars from his family bank and vanishes in Buenos Aires. Rex's friends have suspicions about the ex-SS Gruppenfuhrer with whom he is said to have been consorting; they find themselves pursuing Rex to the Bolivian Andes and confronting Satanist forces once again.

Just starting this today, I have got a feeling it will take me a while to work my way through this one, then I'll be going for something a little bit more normal that the satanic/demonic/haunting shite I have been reading just lately so it'll probably be to kill a mocking bird after this one

• 2 weeks later...

Fook me this Dennis Wheatley book is hard going, I'm still on 'The devil rides out' Its a thoroughly enjoyable read I just cant seem to put a dent in it, I am going to go all out this week to get at least 'The devil rides out' finished then I can read something else in between starting the next two stories

Is Gravity's Rainbow difficult? I've never read any of Pynchon's stuff and am considering getting this. I've heard of people using guides when reading it. I can't be bothered with that for 900 pages.

Difficult in that it is very digressive and if you don't pace yourself you'll lose track of the narrative completely and find yourself going back a few pages now and then. A patient approach certainly helps, rather than power through like you can most novels. Although I've talked to some people who just read it cover to cover as they normally would and enjoyed it just as much, so what do I know.

On a slightly related note I'm reading Ulysses and decided to abandon the annotation and just read it flat out and it's highly enjoyable, even if the allusions just go in one ear and out the other, in fact I nearly fist pump any time I get one.

I've got Wallace Stevens' 'Harmonium' on the go too, which I would recommend to everyone and their dog.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I've read Gravity's Rainbow, and loved it. Just went with the flow. It has a bunch of "songs" in it, one of which my old band added music to and gigged regularly.

And oddly enough I'm planning to read Ulysses soon, using the CED approach.

Â