Do you read?

Luke_W

I hate reading a brand new book for the first time. Once the pages have been open for an extended period of time, it never returns to pristine condition. Same with wearing a brand new pair of white trainers for the first time.

Nah, ruining perfection gives things character. If you see a guy walking down the street wearing pure white trainers, you just know he's a bellend. Get them a little scuffed and a bit dirty and give them some life, man.

Same with books. They're meant to be read, getting them a little bent out of shape gives them a bit of character that makes them all your own. The tattier the book, the more love you've shown it since you've read it so much.

I do love my Kindle too though. Whoever mentioned the fact that Kindles and actual books can co-exist was spot on.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Nah, ruining perfection gives things character. If you see a guy walking down the street wearing pure white trainers, you just know he's a bellend. Get them a little scuffed and a bit dirty and give them some life, man.

Same with books. They're meant to be read, getting them a little bent out of shape gives them a bit of character that makes them all your own. The tattier the book, the more love you've shown it since you've read it so much.

Yeah I like I said I do like things tatty, I just don't like the process of actually doing it.  It's just the first instance.  Once it is even slightly scuffed, I'll happily be rough with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished The Twelve by Justin Cronin and can't wait 'till the next and last in his trilogy comes out. The Passage was better, but it's still a good book.

Now I'm on the 7th book of WoT, Crown of swords.

And as I'm a big geek I couldn't resist to buy Graham Greene's book Brighton Rock when I just happened to find it a couple of days ago. Anyone read it?

5130SKP3F7L.jpg

Just started this and it's brilliant if you're a Rik Mayall fan. It's his 'autobiography' but written in character... that character being a great mix of his many characters, I can imagine a lot of it written by Richie from Bottom

On the same note, the only audiobook I have is the Alan Partridge autobiography - narrated by Steve Coogan - it's a superb way of enjoying it really. 

And as I'm a big geek I couldn't resist to buy Graham Greene's book Brighton Rock when I just happened to find it a couple of days ago. Anyone read it?

Yep. Good book. I've read virtually everything by Graham Greene, as I studied him at school for A-Level. 

In other news, I have now embarked upon Ulysses. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1Q84.

A bit weird, but at the same time fascinating.

On my long list. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is one of my favourite novels.

I was very disappointed with 1Q84. It's almost 1000 pages and at the end I just felt 'meh' having fallen for the hype on its release. Everything that was quirky, charming and funny in Wind-up Bird annoyed me in 1Q84.

1Q84.

I was very disappointed with 1Q84. It's almost 1000 pages and at the end I just felt 'meh' having fallen for the hype on its release. Everything that was quirky, charming and funny in Wind-up Bird annoyed me in 1Q84.

I wondered if that might be the case. It may stay on the long list for a while. 

1Q84.

I wondered if that might be the case. It may stay on the long list for a while.

I actually haven't read any of his previous work, but intend to now. Any suggestions as to where to start?

Regarding 1Q84, I wasn't disappointed, but maybe it helped that I had no major expectations :). Anyway, I thought it was worth reading. Especially the first 500 pages, the second half wasn't as interesting as the first, but that is often the case for me.

Really disappointed with Dave Eggers' The Circle.

It reads like a cross between Grisham  and Skinner's Walden Two.

It is a good job I won't be keeping it because it has one of those gimmicky front covers which is guaranteed to get ripped.

I should have known that any book with that much blurb on the cover couldn't live up to it.

dave_eggers_the_circle_spine.jpg

Â