Where to sit with kids

robby b

This is the nearest thread I could find that relates to my query... I'm going to try to get a few tickets for the game at Selhurst Park next month... One of my mates is interested in joining me with his 11-year-old son, they're both very new to going to football matches. The last three Villa games I've been to were all at Villa Park, I haven't been to a Villa away game since I was 13 (at Plough Lane, twice). Please could someone tell me what a typical Villa away crowd is like these days?

I mean, can it get very aggressive (towards the ref, opposition players and home fans) and very sweary? Or is it generally more or less family friendly and ok for an 11-year-old? I feel uneasy about being responsible for my friend's young child feeling scared or hearing the most x-rated language being shouted out around him. If anyone can answer my questions I'll be really grateful.

30 minutes ago, robby b said:

This is the nearest thread I could find that relates to my query... I'm going to try to get a few tickets for the game at Selhurst Park next month... One of my mates is interested in joining me with his 11-year-old son, they're both very new to going to football matches. The last three Villa games I've been to were all at Villa Park, I haven't been to a Villa away game since I was 13 (at Plough Lane, twice). Please could someone tell me what a typical Villa away crowd is like these days?

I mean, can it get very aggressive (towards the ref, opposition players and home fans) and very sweary? Or is it generally more or less family friendly and ok for an 11-year-old? I feel uneasy about being responsible for my friend's young child feeling scared or hearing the most x-rated language being shouted out around him. If anyone can answer my questions I'll be really grateful.

If you haven't been to away game since you were 13 you have just above zero chance of getting a ticket with the Villa fans. You have exactly zero chance of getting multiple tickets. Best of trying to get tickets with the home fans. 

In terms of atmosphere bit of a mixed bag. In general fine but you will always get a few beer'ed up knobs. I take my 7 yr old and she hasn't been terrified yet. It's character building! Chances of hearing X-Rated language are 100% but that will go for the home end as well as the away end. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, villaglint said:

If you haven't been to away game since you were 13 you have just above zero chance of getting a ticket with the Villa fans. You have exactly zero chance of getting multiple tickets. Best of trying to get tickets with the home fans. 

In terms of atmosphere bit of a mixed bag. In general fine but you will always get a few beer'ed up knobs. I take my 7 yr old and she hasn't been terrified yet. It's character building! Chances of hearing X-Rated language are 100% but that will go for the home end as well as the away end. 

Thanks very much for the info. : ) Oh well, I'll call the Villa ticket office again as soon as I see the tickets are on sale (maybe next week) just in case anyway. It's a pity I have very little chance because I'm not going to buy a ticket from the Palace ticket office to sit with the home fans! For a start that would feel a bit weird and uncomfortable. (I was in the middle of Wimbledon fans twice when Villa played at Plough Lane and I remember feeling a need to 'keep a low profile'). I might let a sudden loud cheer slip out if we score. :s Oops. And I want to live! 😂 Sounds like I'll probably just have to go up to Villa Park instead asap. Exciting!

Actually my friend's son is confident, boisterous and quite laddish... maybe he wouldn't feel scared, and as you say, character-building! That's a good point. My first ever football match was when my Arsenal fan dad took me to Highbury when I was seven and it was against... Aston Villa! (I'd told him I liked Villa, he can't have been too pleased!) I remember feeling quite scared of a few very angry men in the crowd who were shouting things very angrily. And I was intrigued by a few strange and interesting new words that I'd not heard before!

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

Started taking my 9 year old in the last two years. Hes very quiet so found the trinity road the best place for him. If you can get close to the pitch he loves it, any chance to be close to the players and get on the tv. The swearing he has adjusted to, the angry reaction of some adults is really difficult though. Very daunting for a young child, made me really question some of my own conduct in the past.

• Like 3

My lad likes it where it’s noisy, and he always smirks at me when he hears people swearing and shouting. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest what people say around him. It is football after all. He can get a bit tired from standing up if people are constantly standing up around him, but other than that he enjoys it mostly. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I've got a ST in K4 and thinking of taking my daughter for a game in September. Can I move my seat for a game and buy an additional ticket for her next to the seat? 

I believe you can . There will be times when I need to do that myself. Infact I will have to do it a fair bit. 

I’m taking my young kids to their first ever football match against Bournemouth.

Sitting in Trinity A7, near the back.   Hopefully won’t be too loud for them but they can still see the players on the pitch!

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Question? How was it for the first game you took your kids. My lad is 4 and want to take him this season. Not sure he could manage for a whole 90 minutes though, they get bored don't they😀

Yeah he will massively struggle. My lad still gets bored now and he’s 7. His first game was when he was 4 and it was a friendly game. I left at HT with him.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah he will massively struggle. My lad still gets bored now and he’s 7. His first game was when he was 4 and it was a friendly game. I left at HT with him.

I shoulda took him to Walsall game, would have been ideal there, but left it a bit late, an couldn't get 2 tickets together

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Question? How was it for the first game you took your kids. My lad is 4 and want to take him this season. Not sure he could manage for a whole 90 minutes though, they get bored don't they😀

I took my daughter when she was 3 and had to just give her the phone to keep her entertained . It was amusing when she started shouting ‘come on villa’ while everyone was quiet. 

Â