Youth Team 2019/20

MotoMkali

I had a look around and did some searches but I couldn't really find anything on the youth team as a whole more just individual players.

So who are our most exciting youth players and who are we likely to see take the step up to the first team this season.

Also from other topics it is clear that we really want to loan out our youth players to play league 1 and championship football as youth football doesn't prepare them for the big leagues. I was thinking would it make sense to try and establish or purchase a B team to develop our players at.

If we purchased a team that just got promoted to league 1 I imagine it might cost around 5 mil and we could loan out our most promising youngsters to them to help us develop them. Don't know if this would be allowed but the FA but Brentford have a 2nd team many foreign teams like barca and real have them as well. 

There’s an academy topic thread, I would link it but don’t know how. I’d saying the academy is producing at the minute with the likes of Rushian Hepburn, Andre Green and Easah Suliman on the cusp of the first team squad. Jacob Ramsey made his first team debut last season is progressing well too, he plays for England u18s

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

There’s an academy topic thread, I would link it but don’t know how. I’d saying the academy is producing at the minute with the likes of Rushian Hepburn, Andre Green and Easah Suliman on the cusp of the first team squad. Jacob Ramsey made his first team debut last season is progressing well too, he plays for England u18s

Thanks it seems like Suliman and RHM Have been in the pipeline forever though doesn't it. 

We pretty much released the whole u23 squad end of last season. 

I thought we were going to bring fresh blood (especially seeing as we nicked WBA head of youth) but havent seen reports of new signings, unless theyve gone under the radar whilst they promote all the women players we've been signing

Yeah we really need to start producing good young players again. Even if we just sell them to championship clubs at least we would make some money in this market maybe 5-10 mil and occasionally we would get a player like Jack coming through. 

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

This could be their season

I like your optimism, I would like all of our kids to make it. Sadly can't see anyone being part of the squad from the current ones apart from Keinan Davis (who needs to improve his finishing). Maybe the next ones as Ramsey could develope much better. But can't see Green, RHM, Suliman.....etc making it. They all needed loans early on. Whoever impress should be integrated to the team when the games aren't mattering. We used to have a game or two every season when we stayed up, we had 11 meaningless games before we went down, we have couple of games in our first season down there. All of these we had the chance to start giving our youngsters the chance. But that didn't happen.

57 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I like your optimism, I would like all of our kids to make it. Sadly can't see anyone being part of the squad from the current ones apart from Keinan Davis (who needs to improve his finishing). Maybe the next ones as Ramsey could develope much better. But can't see Green, RHM, Suliman.....etc making it. They all needed loans early on. Whoever impress should be integrated to the team when the games aren't mattering. We used to have a game or two every season when we stayed up, we had 11 meaningless games before we went down, we have couple of games in our first season down there. All of these we had the chance to start giving our youngsters the chance. But that didn't happen.

Suliman has been on loan to Grimsby, FC Emmen and Cheltenham but he didn’t play much at any of them. Green has been on loan at Portsmouth where he scored 5 goals in 12 matches so he was a success. Hepburn-Murphy scored 2 in 11 matches during his loan at Cambridge United. I expect all of them to remain here and be a part of our squad this season

I’m going to continue with this thought process, and apologise if anyone’s offended, but our youth set up and players are absolutely shite. Barely any options to help the first team squad and the few are not good enough and haven’t progressed enough or actually regressed.

We have a massive lack of back up options now in most positions. Can’t believe we don’t even have a left back in reserve, and not even one better than Taylor - which isn’t at all difficult.

We wouldn’t be looking to make so many signings if we did...

Needs massive improvement. I think those in charge realise this though and are making the necessary efforts. 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

One of the major problems we have had is the fact that there has been no continuity between playing styles of the youth teams and the first team. 

Under MON our youth teams played football but the first team played hoof-ball. So when the youngsters came in they looked useless because they had to adjust to a different style of play. 

When Houllier came in the youth players actually fitted in because he wanted football played a certain way. Sure they made mistakes and we unfortunately suddenly went frugal with spending but that was a fault of MON who bought in the main - donkeys.

Now imagine if he had bought Falcao and Cavani instead of Heskey. As soon as Houllier comes in we would have had two world class players whom the likes of Albrighton, Hogg et al could have learned on the job with. 

Hopefully now the infrastructure and system will be put it in to place. It didn’t work out but I see what Houllier was trying to implement. Now hopefully Suso and Purslow can finally get that project over the line with the new Academy manager. (I forgot his name eek) 

Edit - in addition alot of La-Liga is awash with ex Barcelona and Real Madrid players who weren’t quite ready or Good enough for them.

Edited by Sulberto21

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

One of the major problems we have had is the fact that there has been no continuity between playing styles of the youth teams and the first team. 

Under MON our youth teams played football but the first team played hoof-ball. So when the youngsters came in they looked useless because they had to adjust to a different style of play. 

When Houllier came in the youth players actually fitted in because he wanted football played a certain way. Sure they made mistakes and we unfortunately suddenly went frugal with spending but that was a fault of MON who bought in the main - donkeys.

Now imagine if he had bought Falcao and Cavani instead of Heskey. As soon as Houllier comes in we would have had two world class players whom the likes of Albrighton, Hogg et al could have learned on the job with. 

Hopefully now the infrastructure and system will be put it in to place. It didn’t work out but I see what Houllier was trying to implement. Now hopefully Suso and Purslow can finally get that project over the line with the new Academy manager. (I forgot his name eek) 

Edit - in addition alot of La-Liga is awash with ex Barcelona and Real Madrid players who weren’t quite ready or Good enough for them.

Flipping hell, just imagine if we had signed Falcao! Was it Gregory that first wanted him?

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

FFS

I remember the Arsenal game the same season boxing day when Zat Knight equalised. We out Arsenaled Arsenal. Totally dominated the game but we couldn’t score. If Cavani or Falcao had been wearing the claret and blue we would have won that game and I guarantee Arsenal would have been finished for the season. From that point I sort of knew that we wouldn’t get champions league and it was confirmed a week later when we signed Heskey.

So the younger players had Heskey instead of Cavani and or Falcao to train with.

All because MON lacked balls in the transfer market.  Lerner was backing him up until that point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I remember the Arsenal game the same season boxing day when Zat Knight equalised. We out Arsenaled Arsenal. Totally dominated the game but we couldn’t score. If Cavani or Falcao had been wearing the claret and blue we would have won that game and I guarantee Arsenal would have been finished for the season. From that point I sort of knew that we wouldn’t get champions league and it was confirmed a week later when we signed Heskey.

So the younger players had Heskey instead of Cavani and or Falcao to train with.

All because MON lacked balls in the transfer market.  Lerner was backing him up until that point.

face palm GIF

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

The first team, u23s and u18s all play the same formation, pretty much a 4-3-3. I think it’s a good strategy as it’s promotes continuity throughout the club. In my opinion, the club is producing players for the first team with the likes of Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Andre Green and Easah Suliman on the cusp of the first team, whether they make the step of cementing themselves in the first XI like Jack Grealish has remains to be seen

31 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

The first team, u23s and u18s all play the same formation, pretty much a 4-3-3. I think it’s a good strategy as it’s promotes continuity throughout the club. In my opinion, the club is producing players for the first team with the likes of Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Andre Green and Easah Suliman on the cusp of the first team, whether they make the step of cementing themselves in the first XI like Jack Grealish has remains to be seen

Formations don’t matter if they are implemented with hoof-ball . I was talking about the past anyway.

43 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Sorry mate, but I find I strongly disagree with almost every single one of your posts. Our youngsters are nowhere near good enough and have had plenty of time to make an impact. We have barely any options and are needing to make extra signings because of it. If they couldn’t break through at Championship level they won’t do it at PL level. Our youth system needs massive improvement & change.

Suliman is nowhere near the “cusp of the first team”, RHM is obviously not good enough, Green will not be getting anywhere near the amount of game time he has had during preseason and should be loaned out asap for a full season - he and O’Hare are the ONLY ones I have hope for but they desperately need game & development time at a lower level.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Encouraging but I don’t think it’s just about the coaching. We need to identify and bring in the right kids too...

Is the guy we appointed from West Brom responsible for doing that?

Â