Youth Team 2019/20

MotoMkali

We're bringing in Beale as our new coach for our U18s, because David Hughes Formerly of that role has gone to Southampton to be their 'head of academy player development'. Not sure what we need to do to improve but obviously something hasn't been going right with our academy in recent years, so hopefully these changes and anything else we might have planned make a big difference. Harrison and Beale both seem highly rated at their former clubs, so hopefully they make a difference.

Edited by useless

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

One of the major problems we have had is the fact that there has been no continuity between playing styles of the youth teams and the first team. 

Under MON our youth teams played football but the first team played hoof-ball. So when the youngsters came in they looked useless because they had to adjust to a different style of play. 

When Houllier came in the youth players actually fitted in because he wanted football played a certain way. Sure they made mistakes and we unfortunately suddenly went frugal with spending but that was a fault of MON who bought in the main - donkeys.

Now imagine if he had bought Falcao and Cavani instead of Heskey. As soon as Houllier comes in we would have had two world class players whom the likes of Albrighton, Hogg et al could have learned on the job with. 

Hopefully now the infrastructure and system will be put it in to place. It didn’t work out but I see what Houllier was trying to implement. Now hopefully Suso and Purslow can finally get that project over the line with the new Academy manager. (I forgot his name eek) 

Edit - in addition alot of La-Liga is awash with ex Barcelona and Real Madrid players who weren’t quite ready or Good enough for them.

Not this again. Most youth teams play a passing game to improve technique etc - the overall physical game is much in decline - but none the less there is a noticeable upgrade of physical presence when you hit first team level.  so really the notion of getting all junior sises playing the same way is nothing news - they probably do anyway, but its still a massive step up to first team level.

I would say are youth production line has been barely adequate for a number of years. But you have to be realistic - We are now in the toughest league in the world which attracts players from across the globe - the idea that you can have 5 or 6 such  players  in you reserve team isn't feasible IMO - At the moment we have Grealish who is a superstar and on the fringes we have Davis and Green, who whilst they may not cut it here would probably net us £3-4m a piece in fees 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Formations don’t matter if they are implemented with hoof-ball . I was talking about the past anyway.

I don’t think we play hoofball at any level, it’s not synonymous with the football club

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not this again. Most youth teams play a passing game to improve technique etc - the overall physical game is much in decline - but none the less there is a noticeable upgrade of physical presence when you hit first team level.  so really the notion of getting all junior sises playing the same way is nothing news - they probably do anyway, but its still a massive step up to first team level.

I would say are youth production line has been barely adequate for a number of years. But you have to be realistic - We are now in the toughest league in the world which attracts players from across the globe - the idea that you can have 5 or 6 such  players  in you reserve team isn't feasible IMO - At the moment we have Grealish who is a superstar and on the fringes we have Davis and Green, who whilst they may not cut it here would probably net us £3-4m a piece in fees 

Im talking about past regimes the use of a past tense verb , in this instance the word ‘had’ ,should make it very clear what im talking about. I wasn’t saying we will have 5/6 in reserve, my point about barca and real should have made that clear. We can make it a successful business with the odd player make it for us.

Edited by Sulberto21

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t think we play hoofball at any level, it’s not synonymous with the football club

Don’t people actually read other people’s posts. We don’t play hoof-ball anymore. Again I re-iterate in for the last 10-15 years we have played hoof-ball. 

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Don’t people actually read other people’s posts. We don’t play hoof-ball anymore. Again I re-iterate in for the last 10-15 years we have played hoof-ball. 

Even under MON? Under him, I thought we played fast counter-attacking football

Just posted our 25 man squad in the squad thread, and interesting point I discovered is that all 3 of Callum O'Hare, Kienan Davis and James Bree will turn 22 during this season.

This means if we plan on keeping them next season they will be taking up a senior spot as only U21s qualify for exemption. It really is last chance saloon for all 3 this year.

• Thanks 1

On 28/07/2019 at 22:18, Junxs said:

Just posted our 25 man squad in the squad thread, and interesting point I discovered is that all 3 of Callum O'Hare, Kienan Davis and James Bree will turn 22 during this season.

This means if we plan on keeping them next season they will be taking up a senior spot as only U21s qualify for exemption. It really is last chance saloon for all 3 this year.

Bree is already over 21 for the PL squad purposes (Born before 01/01/1998)

Suliman, Luiz, JDH, O'Hare, Green, RHM, and Davis are all in their last year in terms of not needing to be registered AFAIK.

• Like 1

Â