Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

What other areas do we think we will try and strengthen? 

I'm guessing we'll try and get Hansen, but if we can't then we defo need to upgrade both wings. Lehman is decent but a new right attacker would be good as well. Another midfielder as well?

See if Kenza Dali can persuade Eugenie Le Sommer to take a trip across the Channel.

That'd really show we mean business.

Seriously though, if we don't land Hansen then that's some player to replace if we want to improve.

Still no word on wether Lehmann has re-signed as I'm sure her contract was up? Though she was sharing the news about the season tickets going up for renewal / sale on Instagram so I'm taking that as a hopeful sign.

If Lehmann was leaving I think it probably would have been announced by now, presuming she's staying that leaves us with her and Freya Gregory as our only two wingers, so I think good chance that we will bring in another two.

Even with the new signings we've still only got seventeen players in our squad, so probably quite a few more to come in yet.

I wouldn't be surprised to see new deals for some of the current players too, Leat, and McLoughlin are in the last years of their current deals, and I think Pacheco might be as well, and of course Lehmann due a new deal.

Potentially could see a few of the academy players get deals as well.

Edited by useless

It's very likely that we want more than one winger, as we only have two at the moment, so I don't think we can read anything into Cain approach when it comes to our Hanson pursuit, we will want Hanson or someone else to play on the left, and then another to challenge Lehmann on the right.

If we do get Hanson I think it will be later in the window after Man Utd have signed a replacement, they've been linked to Katie Robinson, so might be a case of waiting for her to come back from World Cup before the wheels can be set in motion, although I wouldn't mind Robinson for us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Can't let the eye candy leave

spacer.png

I mean she's a perfectly capable WSL player but maybe the most marketable in the world for all the obvious reasons. I don't care about it but she has far and away the most followers on Instagram, more than any other Swiss athlete including Roger Federer. Every club will want a bit of that so she'll definitely have options

F1UToz9XgAEfEZk?format=jpg&name=small

Forgot to post these the other day but fixtures for the season. A pretty horrible opening 5 so will be a big test to see where we are and if we can bridge that top 4 gap this season. 

United will be played at Villa Park.

• Thanks 1

I didn't see the game but Alisha Lehmann came off the bench and played the last twenty minutes in Switzerland's 2-0 win against Philippines. Was going to say our first player to play at this World Cup, but thinking about it I think she might be the first ever player to play at any Women's World Cup whilst being a Villa player.

• Like 2

We only allowed Mary McAteer and Isobel Goodwin to leave for Coventry United (nowknownas Rugby Borough women) in January, following Coventry's relegation both have already been signed by Championship clubs, McAteer has gone to Sunderland and Isobel has gone to Sheffield United, not surprised two good young players, McAteer was called up to the senior Wales squad recently as well.

Hopefully a few more of our academy players can start making an impact with us, Blindkilde, McLoughlin, and Gregory are the only real recent ones, Evie Rabjohn would have been next but obviously left.

It's going to be a big season for the most recent ones McLoughlin is in the last year of her contract, so will need a good year to either win another deal with us or impress enough to get another WSL move, unless we give her a deal this summer which I think is possible, Gregory looks a promising player did well on loan at Leicester and always looks for England U23s, I think main thing with her is just staying fit, she looks like she could be on similar level to Blindkilde but often injured, Blindkilde was very good last season, just needs to keep going, I wouldn't be surprised to see her become full England international soon, I think next step for her is adding a few goals and assists to her game.

On 06/04/2023 at 20:18, useless said:

I've been wondering if we might take Lucy Newell off West Brom, sixteen, already playing for their first team and playing for England U17s, if she's England youth quality probably going to have to move at some point as will be too good for the level that West Brom play at, they're below Fylde in the table.

This won't be happening as she's signed for Man Utd.

Remi Allen has signed for small heath, I thought there was a good chance that that would happen as saw a few saying she was at one of their games before the season ended.

Elisha N'Dow and Sian Rogers have both signed permanenlty with Charlton after being there on loan last season.

It is the worst paper in Australia (Murdoch press) and the angle is all about Lehmann wearing make up whilst playing but it does mention she has resigned with us this year.

Article doesn’t seem to indicate where they got that info from

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/world-cup/swiss-striker-alisha-lehmann-is-judged-for-wearing-makeup-while-playing/news-story/136c681cf6837be085339bbb07b113b4

I think we can pretty much take it as given that Lehmann is staying as if she was leaving would have been announced long before now, and the club are still using her to promote things and referring to her as a VIlla player.

Very quiet at the moment so kind of surprised we havent' announced her new deal during this time, but maybe wating to see if she has a good World Cup and then announce it.

She wasn't bad to begin with, before signings last summer she was our best attacker, but she improved a lot last season and is well deserving of a new deal, it might be that we sign another right winger to challenger her, but need a good squad, espeically in women's game where injuries seem to be a lot more widespread.

Edited by useless

Â