Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Aston Villa Women can confirm Meaghan Sargeant has made the decision to end her playing career.

Despite making the tough decision to call time on her playing career, Meaghan will remain at the club in an off-field role.

Sargeant said: "My time at Aston Villa has been challenging due to an ongoing injury, however being involved with such an amazing club and group of players has been incredible."

"Although my time has been very limited, on-field, due to a reccurring back injury, it has been special for me to watch and be a part of such a talented group who have done so well this season and will undoubtedly continue to progress."

"Personally, it has been a very hard decision to announce my early retirement. I love football and I love being part of a team environment. I cannot thank Aston Villa enough for all the help and support they have given me during this very difficult period."

"Looking forward, I am extremely grateful that Aston Villa have given me a great opportunity to continue my development and career with an off-field role. I am extremely grateful and also excited to see where it takes me in the future."

"Thank you to the fans for all the support you have given me across the years, and thank you to all my teammates and staff, past and present, for helping me fulfill a dream."

AVFC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's going to be another central defender we need with Rabjohn leaving and Sargeant retiring from playing, we now only have three, Corsie, Turner, and Patten presuming she signs, and Corsie turns 34 later this year, and Turner turns 32, so I suspect we will be going for young replacemnt for Rabjohn rather than older direct Sargeant replacment.

Not sure how young we will go for replacement, obviously going to have to be a player willing to come here in the knowledge that not going to play most weeks to begin with, so more of a prospect might help with that, as I've said previously I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move for Lucy Newll of West Brom, already playing for their first team and England U17 international, but whether she would be considered good enough to come in as fourth choice with us yet I'm not sure, kind of similar profile to Rabjohn though, so could be a good replacment.

Ruby Mace who is a couple of years older would be another good option, but would expect more game time and not sure if Man City would sell her.

big shame for Meag, when she did play she was actually pretty decent you could tell she was seasoned WSL player, improved our defence, good to see the club are giving her another role and keeping her involved in the game.

With immediate effect clubs now going to receive compensation for academy players that leave before their eighteenth birthday, the compensation figure is £5k for every year the player was at an academy, but that figure is only for players moving from one WSL club to another, so I think we would have got £20k for Rabjohn, as as of June 2019 she was still with small heath, I think she joined us later that year.

Compensation won't be back dated, so we won't be able to reclaim anything from Man Utd for Rabjohn, but that might actualy be a good thing for us, if clubs were able to claim money for academy players lost over the last few years we would probably owe hundreds of thousands to small heath and Leicester.

All this only applies to academies with a Professional Games License, not sure what that is exactly but we were awarded it this year along with a category 1 status, from reading the requirement sounds like we were already going way above what's required, only twenty teams have the PGA, all in the top two divisions, as far as I can work out a team like West Brom for example can still lose their players to us  or other teams for nothing.

Not sure if we have any current academy players liable to get poached from us, very hard to tell how well they're regarded as they get so little coverage, but Georgia Mullett seems like she might be an highly rated one, scored 21 in 21 as our U21s won the league, including an hat-trick on last day in title decider against Man Utd, she also got England U18 call up earlier this year and was immediatley moved up to U19 squad; she turns eighteen later this year, hopefully signs professional terms with us presuming we make that offer, but if not at least we will get some compensation.

• Thanks 1

Transfer window opens this coming Monday, just fifteen players in the squad as it stands, two of those are goalkeepers, so just thirteen outfield players, so should be a busy window for us.

• Like 1

A little bit "sign of the times", but you feel this kind of thing is pretty important in the Women's game right now - and could be very good for us:

"Aston Villa and Switzerland's Alisha Lehmann is the top ranking Instagram influencer among Women's World Cup players, according to data analysts Gracenote Nielsen.
In the past year, Aston Villa forward Lehmann has overtaken Alex Morgan as the female football player with the most followers on Instagram.
Lehmann's follower numbers have increased by 75% in the past 12 months, to nearly 13.5 million. She has also overtaken Roger Federer, making her the most popular Swiss sportsperson on Instagram."

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66018262)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

Apparently free transfers can't be officially announced between WSL clubs until after June 30th when the players' current deals end, hence no news on Patten yet, and not much transfer news at all as most WSL transfers are frees.

This time next week I suspect there's a good chance that Patten will be confirmed as a Villa player, Lehmann is the only out of contract player who's future hasn't been made public, so that should be announced one way or another soon as well.

Kirsty Hanson is a different situation as she still has one or two years left on her Man Utd contract, they're supposedly trying to sign Katie Robinson, I was hoping we might go for her, but if she does go to United, then that might be what allows us to sign Hanson.

Basically no signing announcements this week unless they're signings from outside the WSL, or they're WSL players that we have to pay a fee for becuase they're still under contract beyond June 30th.

• Like 2

On 24/06/2023 at 22:30, useless said:

Transfer window opens this coming Monday, just fifteen players in the squad as it stands, two of those are goalkeepers, so just thirteen outfield players, so should be a busy window for us.

I think Ward alluded to as much in an interview at the end of the season - it seemed to me (but maybe I was reading too much into it) that she had a pretty clear list of targets and had been given some indication that she could be quite optimistic about some of the names.  It sounded like we were in with a good chance of getting some of her main targets and that they'd be players who could definitely get us closer to the teams above us.  Obviously most of those teams are going to improve too - but I think we're in a great place to pick up players who aren't quite there yet but have plenty of potential.  I wonder whether Monchi / Emery have any contacts regarding young Spanish players coming through the system?  It would be fantastic if our Spanish / Portuguese (through V-Sports) networks also gave us an early lead on the women's side too. 

Edited by allani

I'm a bit concerned that yesterday Rachel Daly might have blown her chance for the starting position at the WC, with this from the BBC report writer: "Daly failed to take her chance from the start as number nine, struggling to have an impact and missing a few opportunites". Russo replaced her at half time and it sounds like she played well. Oh dear. (Well I'm happy for Russo but I'd prefer to see one of our own get the start position!)

Â