• Green
    • Adomah
    • Hepburn-Murphy
    • Grealish (Doyle-Hayes 57)
    • Kodjia (Hepburn-Murphy 58)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/18 at 14:00

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

we spent 57 minutes playing long ball to a 5ft 1" striker and you dont see what the negativity is about?

We won, avoided a bannaskin. That line-up is unlike to ever play together again, probably never played together before. 

It wasn't beautiful, it hadn't been beautiful but we've foind  a way through. I get that there is a wider anti-Bruce narrative, that's okay, I guess. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

We didn't deserve to win that one

What's tne basis for saying we didn’t deserve it?

We had 63% possession, more shots than Yeovil, more shots on target, more corners. Our goalkeeper saved a penalty.

I’d say it was a well-earned win.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

RHM makes Hogan look like George Best in terms of ball control, and Albert Adomah has clearly been replaced by a semi - movable waxwork replica. Elphicks defending is about as solid as melted ice cream.

Grealish is operating on another plane to almost any other player for any side I’ve watched in 2018. Not just in respect of the opposition, which is of course not Premier League, but just his vision and control. That one he trapped on the touch line out of the sky and passed, killing it stone dead, was fantastic. As was most of his contribution.

Annoyingly, it took his introduction for the rest of the midfield to actually play.

Mediocre performance, but of a type seen often at this stage, and other stages, of cup competitions, from many teams. All you need in the Cup is to stay in the Cup, so I’m pleased enough.

I don’t share the concerns some have expressed about the squad - there are very very few teams in the Championship, in any season, that have much more than 14 or 15 players who can be relied on for the First Eleven.

Three Wins from our first 3 games for the first time since I was 1. I will take that and make the most of it !

• Like 3

Just now, briny_ear said:

we had 63% possession, more shots than Yeovil, moreshits on target, more corners. Our goalkeeper saved a penalty.

Oh Briny mate, I'm not calling for his head n that, this is me. I'm not that bothered about the Hull and Wigan games. On the up side of tonight we can't play much worse than that :)

I'm happy we won. I'm glad Moreira saved the penalty. I almost logged out of the match thread due to the overly negative vibe early on and I'd love to join in the calls for calm.

But - We could hardly string two passes together. Their disallowed goal is an absolute shocker. (They were robbed) We didn't deal with their physicality at all well imo. None of it unforced either - Yeovil chased and harried and eventually got outdone by a bit of skill that they were unlikely to come up with.

Did you see the look on Bruce's face post match?

Did you hear him say " If we’re being brutally honest then we’ve got away with one. "?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

We had 63% possession, more shots than Yeovil, more shots on target, more corners. Our goalkeeper saved a penalty.

Agree. We also hit the bar, and had a clear Penalty not given, to balance their disallowed goal. I’ve watched a zillion Cup games where the Lower Club make a decent fist of it, and Yeovil did tonight. But we did what I’ve seen countless ‘ bigger’ sides do, and whether the storm, keep a clean sheet, and Win. We deserved the Win, in my view.

• Like 1

What I learnt from tonight’s game:

1. Moreira - suspect goalkeeping but good penalty save. Not going to be challenging Nyland for a while. Hoping it’s a loan to buy otherwise what is the point?
  2. Tuanzebe - whilst not perfect in central defence, did much better than at right back. Hopefully will be better with Chester there. Hoping Bruce realises this for Ipswich game but it’s nice to see him actually start there....
  3. We need a new LB; Taylor was absent the whole game. 
  4. Whelan - I know we have a cracking record with him, but what does he do?!
  5. Green - fiery but raw. If he can stay fit this season will be fantastic. 
  6. Adomah - out of form. A new RW would be good!
  7. Hepburn-Murphy/Kodjia either we need to play to their feet or get in a tall striker. When we are up against players twice the size of our strikers, we don’t punt it to them hoping they will knock it down! To be fair both looked better than in recent games but a clear deficit here.
  8. Team selection not bad but clear some aren’t good enough for first team.  
  9. Yeovil played well and ground us down.
  10. We struggle to break teams down still. Hoping McGinn, Grealish and new striker will sort that out!
  11. We got lucky and won whilst playing bad. If we do that for the next 44 league games I won’t complain but we definitely got away with that!

Score: C-. We passed but we definitely have room for improvement!

I thought Tuanzebe showed enough to start alongside Chester at the weekend. Kodjia showed his class once in creating our goal as did Conor in getting into the position to score the winner but both of them did little else. Doyle Hayes again showed promise and Moreira saved their penalty but did not put pressure on our current first choice. Jack was unlucky to see his shot rattle the bar and showed why keeping him was so vital to us. Job done but Yeovil ran us too close for comfort and the goal does not disguise what was a well below par display.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Yeovil Manager Darren Way "I spoke to Steve and he said we should have won that game."

I’d be really really disappointed with Bruce or any Manager going to speak to a lower Leaue opposition Manager after knocking them out the Cup and saying “ you know what mate, we deserved that, you were shite”.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I’d be really really disappointed with Bruce or any Manager going to speak to a lower Leaue opposition Manager after knocking them out the Cup and saying “ you know what mate, we deserved that, you were shite”.

Because it's one or the other right? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Why do the highlights videos on the Sky website not play sometimes? Is it because it has too many adverts and they make the videos freeze? I don't know but it's a really annoying website!!! : < Grrr.

13 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Because it's one or the other right? :rolleyes:

No, there’s a third choice, “ neither of us deserved to Win”.....but I’d find that just as bad.

He said what millions of Managers have said in the same situation. 

Horrendous performance but we won again, Bruce is a very very lucky manager, he’s the master of playing absolutely dogshit while winning. Unfortunately I don’t think he will carry on getting this lucky results wise playing truly awful football. 

54 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Oh Briny mate, I'm not calling for his head n that, this is me. I'm not that bothered about the Hull and Wigan games. On the up side of tonight we can't play much worse than that :)

I'm happy we won. I'm glad Moreira saved the penalty. I almost logged out of the match thread due to the overly negative vibe early on and I'd love to join in the calls for calm.

But - We could hardly string two passes together. Their disallowed goal is an absolute shocker. (They were robbed) We didn't deal with their physicality at all well imo. None of it unforced either - Yeovil chased and harried and eventually got outdone by a bit of skill that they were unlikely to come up with.

Did you see the look on Bruce's face post match?

Did you hear him say " If we’re being brutally honest then we’ve got away with one. "?

I’d say it was a typical early round cup match against a lower division side.

It’s their big chance to shine, they have nothing to lose. So they go for it. It’s so uncomplicated for them.

For us, it’s a potential embarrassment, the manager has selected a side who have never played together before and many of whom are desperate to stake their claim to a first team place.

So, yes, they were focused and looked feisty and we looked nervous and disjointed. But we had more quality on the pitch than they did and in the end that won through. 

Just like in hundreds of cup matches like this that have gone before.

Sonetomes the higher-ranked team panic so much they blow it and crumble. But we didn’t.

I think Bruce is always very generous to opposing teams  and so he was here.

But to say we “got away with one” is just wrong in my view. At least we didn’t have to rely on penalties like Middlesbrough did tonight.

It was an awful match though. One you just have to win in whatever way it takes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, terrytini said:

No, there’s a third choice, “ neither of us deserved to Win”.....but I’d find that just as bad.

He said what millions of Managers have said in the same situation. 

There's a truck load of choices imo. That you chose to go from one extreme to another for whatever reason is your own business.

I don't mind disagreeing especially over something as subjective as the definition of 'Deserving' in a football winning context. Or it seems now over whether Bruce meant what he allegedly said to his opposite number, or not and was just being nice. I thought (and still do) that a draw would have been a fair result, penalties, woodwork, goals and all - I don't believe over the 90mins we did enough to deserve the win - you it seems do not agree.

To quote someone wise - Whoop dee doo.

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I’d say it was a typical early round cup match against a lower division side.

It’s their big chance to shine, they have nothing to lose. So they go for it. It’s so uncomplicated for them.

For us, it’s a potential embarrassment, the manager has selected a side who have never played together before and many of whom are desperate to stake their claim to a first team place.

So, yes, they were focused and looked feisty and we looked nervous and disjointed. But we had more quality on the pitch than they did and in the end that won through. 

Just like in hundreds of cup matches like this that have gone before.

Sonetomes the higher-ranked team panic so much they blow it and crumble. But we didn’t.

I think Bruce is always very generous to opposing teams  and so he was here.

But to say we “got away with one” is just wrong in my view. At least we didn’t have to rely on penalties like Middlesbrough did tonight.

It was an awful match though. One you just have to win in whatever way it takes.

that's the only bit we disagree on see. Ref saved us from penalties imo.

Â