UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

Great fight from Faber, really thought he would struggle there.  Dominated him, which was made even better as McDonald didnt see it coming!

There is something satisfying seeing a much hyped pup put in his place.

He will be a beast in a few years mind!

Daley killed a guy in BAMMA this weekend. Well, not literally, he's got a short fuse but he didnt go that far. Was fighting 'Jr. Killer' Da Silva (I don't know him either), and KO'd him with a left uppercut which hit with such force that you literally saw the guy's feet leave the canvas. I'm not as GIFd up as ol' Teg, so I don't know where I could find one of it at...

The UFC event I found pretty boring until the last two fights. Love watching the little guys!

Daley killed a guy in BAMMA this weekend. Well, not literally, he's got a short fuse but he didnt go that far. Was fighting 'Jr. Killer' Da Silva (I don't know him either), and KO'd him with a left uppercut which hit with such force that you literally saw the guy's feet leave the canvas. I'm not as GIFd up as ol' Teg, so I don't know where I could find one of it at...

Holy crap :blink:

1.gif

Anybody see this poor publicity stunt?

Shooto Brazil announced a shocking man vs. woman fight for their 25th edition on Friday night in Rio de Janeiro. However, the fight was never expected to happen.

It all started on Wednesday afternoon, when the promotion announced on its official Facebook page that Emerson Falcao (0-1) and Juliana Velasquez (0-0) would meet inside the ring in a three-round bantamweight clash at Shooto Brazil 45.

Right after the announcement, MMA Fighting contacted Shooto officials, who confirmed the bout. Team Nogueira and Nova Uniao officials also said the match-up was set.

On Tuesday night, Falcao posted on his Facebook page that he has sustained an injury and wouldn’t be able to fight this year, but Nova Uniao leader and Shooto Brazil president Andre Pederneiras told MMA Fighting he would fight despite the injury.

It all seemed weird, and the suspicions were right.

Multiple sources close to the situation informed MMA Fighting on Wednesday that the fight wouldn’t happen, and it was just a way to promote Shooto Brazil’s support to "Lei Maria da Penha", a law created to stop violence against women in Brazil.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/19/5228134/official-man-vs-woman-fight-wont-happen-at-shooto-brazil-45

Poor Anderson. :(

I think winning this fight was beyond him but that kind of thing take years (plural) to recover from. Horrible to see it possibly end for him like that.

Well at least I had Weidman to win... by Sub. ****. He only drifted as far as 8/5 to win by any method and I got 17/4 for via Sub, darn it. AND Barnett **** my accumulator.

The only consolation is that Weidman still won't get the credit he deserves and will still be priced too long to win by Sub against Vitor. Hopefully.

Great card though. Thoroughly entertaining.

For the first time, I will request that Tegis does not post the fight ending gif. Holy shit :(

It was a very good night of fights, but honestly I feel thoroughly deflated after watching the last fight.

No gifs, promise. **** me, that was horrible. :(

First reports are in, operation a success and he can start rehab in 3-6 months. Sounds like a "good" clean break. Some consolation at least.

I used to think Anderson was the GOAT but after his last two fights i'm not so sure...

He's defeated himself twice now what with messing around in the first fight and then with his poor choice of kick; it's my pet hate about MMA and how telegraphic the rear leg kick actually is!

I used to think Anderson was the GOAT but after his last two fights i'm not so sure...

He's defeated himself twice now what with messing around in the first fight and then with his poor choice of kick; it's my pet hate about MMA and how telegraphic the rear leg kick actually is!

The guy is 38 of course he is going to decline and look poorer each fight.

He has been untouchable for many years so has to be regarded as the GOAT along with Fedor and royce gracie.

Without anderson silva and now gsp has reportedly retired (not sure if this is confirmed) mma has lost two of its biggest stars. I only like watching the stand up muay thai guys like cro cop, silva and overrem. Now they have all gone cant see me watching it again. The ground fighting is too boring in mma.

• Like 1

The guy is 38 of course he is going to decline and look poorer each fight.

He has been untouchable for many years so has to be regarded as the GOAT along with Fedor and royce gracie.

Without anderson silva and now gsp has reportedly retired (not sure if this is confirmed) mma has lost two of its biggest stars. I only like watching the stand up muay thai guys like cro cop, silva and overrem. Now they have all gone cant see me watching it again. The ground fighting is too boring in mma.

Did you watch the last Ufc event? Sounds like Travis Browne might be the guy for you!

Some absolutely bizarre comments here. I'm not sure I follow the thinking that now Silva, Crocop and Reem have gone (not actually accurate but beside the point) that means that the stand up of Pettis, Aldo, Barao, Belfort, Machida, Shogun, Erick Silva, Alves, HD, Barboza and Condit (etc.) is now less exciting.

That's less weird though than Royce being the GOAT. He's not even top 100 (probably 200?). He only just makes the top 3 (and arguably doesn't) out of his own brothers. That's like saying Dick Fosbury is GOAT high jumper, only Royce didn't invent sub grappling and Dick didn't have 2 brothers who could jump higher than him.

That in turn is less wrong IMO than the thing about Silva beating himself (twice). Remember how in the first fight Weidman supposedly didn't deserve to be there and Silva would clown him and make him look like Forrest? What happened in the first round? Ah yes, 30 seconds in successful double leg followed by damaging elbows and a dangerous leglock combo. Stand back up and Weidman catches Silva repeatedly without much reply. Second round was better publicised.

All that was just luck though, right? The takedown, sub attempts, KO were all sequential unrelated pieces of luck and none of them would have happened had Silva not dropped his hands and tried to show off (ignoring the fact that those have been part of Silva's style for years). He wasn't even motivated, he didn't train, he needed a wee, the sun was in his eyes and his dog ate his homework.

All of that would change though in the rematch. AS would come out with his hands up and spinning shoryuken double hand reverse pineapple upsidedown cake KO the inferior Weidman before Goldy could tell us about whatever shit film was sponsoring the fight. He certainly came out with his hands up, he just forgot to knock him out and we got a carbon copy of the previous opening round.

The bare bones of the matter are that Weidman fought the GOAT for ~15 minutes, won every minute, knocked him out and broke his leg by checking a kick. :lol: Despite all that Silva gets the credit for kicking his own ass, twice?!

I agree with the comment about the injury being sickening though. It seems to be everywhere as well. Most people only seem to care about motor racing and combat sports when something bad happens.

Some absolutely bizarre comments here. I'm not sure I follow the thinking that now Silva, Crocop and Reem have gone (not actually accurate but beside the point) that means that the stand up of Pettis, Aldo, Barao, Belfort, Machida, Shogun, Erick Silva, Alves, HD, Barboza and Condit (etc.) is now less exciting.

That's less weird though than Royce being the GOAT. He's not even top 100 (probably 200?). He only just makes the top 3 (and arguably doesn't) out of his own brothers. That's like saying Dick Fosbury is GOAT high jumper, only Royce didn't invent sub grappling and Dick didn't have 2 brothers who could jump higher than him.

That in turn is less wrong IMO than the thing about Silva beating himself (twice). Remember how in the first fight Weidman supposedly didn't deserve to be there and Silva would clown him and make him look like Forrest? What happened in the first round? Ah yes, 30 seconds in successful double leg followed by damaging elbows and a dangerous leglock combo. Stand back up and Weidman catches Silva repeatedly without much reply. Second round was better publicised.

All that was just luck though, right? The takedown, sub attempts, KO were all sequential unrelated pieces of luck and none of them would have happened had Silva not dropped his hands and tried to show off (ignoring the fact that those have been part of Silva's style for years). He wasn't even motivated, he didn't train, he needed a wee, the sun was in his eyes and his dog ate his homework.

All of that would change though in the rematch. AS would come out with his hands up and spinning shoryuken double hand reverse pineapple upsidedown cake KO the inferior Weidman before Goldy could tell us about whatever shit film was sponsoring the fight. He certainly came out with his hands up, he just forgot to knock him out and we got a carbon copy of the previous opening round.

The bare bones of the matter are that Weidman fought the GOAT for ~15 minutes, won every minute, knocked him out and broke his leg by checking a kick. :lol: Despite all that Silva gets the credit for kicking his own ass, twice?!

I agree with the comment about the injury being sickening though. It seems to be everywhere as well. Most people only seem to care about motor racing and combat sports when something bad happens.

Stopped reading when you said royce doesnt make your top 200 fighters list.Ridiculous statement...most if not all, all time mma p4p ratings have him top 10.

That's a shame. Reading the analogy afterwards might help you understand why the argument for GOAT isn't about Silva, Fedor and Royce. :lol: Most influential maybe, but then that's a different discussion entirely. Royce is in the UFC's HOF and rightfully so, but even at his peak Rickson was far better than him. He got his ass kicked every day in training and considering he was a grappler, his skills in that area were not even at an world class level. Prime Royce loses to everyone in the top 20 at MW and WW right now and several of them could submit him if they chose to. That is obviously not true for Fedor or AS (or anyone else in the top 100 GOAT). As for "most, if not all" all time P4P rankings including him, that's probably because most all time p4p rankings are made on Bleacher report by 11 year olds who have no idea what they're even supposed to be basing it on. Nobody who has the slightest semblance of knowledge of MMA thinks Royce is anywhere near being the GOAT, at all.

Edited by ArteSuave
  • Like 2

Well, yeah, look what happened when Royce went back to the Ufc to fight Matt Hughes for a start. Although I believe he got a win over Sakuraba after that? Never saw that fight, though.

Speaking of which, Sakuraba, who is still a professional wrestler if not MMA fighter, is involved in a Japanese PPV event this weekend in a tag match again a couple of Gracie's...Rolles and someone else. I think it's being billed as a wrestling match anyway.

It would be much easier a debate if Anderson hadn't messed around, dropped his hands, switched stances and generally took the first fight seriously for us to honestly say. A fully motivated Anderson Silva would have done to Weidman what he did to many others such as the first two rounds against Maia, Leiben, Franklin, Sonnen and Belfort. These fights showed him as more direct and clinical.

In the first fight Weidman gave Anderson so much respect and was worried about engaging until Silva continued to mess around...

I think if Belfort gets in the UFC against Weidman then he'll take his title no problem.

Â