UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

So, does Aldo forego his belt/title now?  It's a bit of a dead rubber if McGregor is now fighting a place-holder until Aldo can turn up later in the year.

McGregor and Mendes will fight for an interim belt and the winner will fight Aldo later to "unify" the belts. Aldo keeps his belt for now though.

While obviously very disappointing, McGregor and Mendes could be a great fight.

So, does Aldo forego his belt/title now?  It's a bit of a dead rubber if McGregor is now fighting a place-holder until Aldo can turn up later in the year.

McGregor and Mendes fight for an interim title and then the winner takes on Aldo later for the undisputed title. Had the fight not been so hyped, they wouldn't have gone this route, but given the money they've spent on promotion, and the growing character of McGregor, means they've gone for the interim title route to save face and save pissing off potential new fans any further.

This kind of thing is a bit too much of an occurrence in UFC. Too many fights are written off due to injuries.

As for the fight itself, the UFC could do with McGregor winning. They need characters, and if McGregor is anything he's a character. He's an exciting fighter but also a beatable one, which makes him interesting. Too many fighters are clever enough to shut down fights, which technically can be impressive but is often very dull with fighters happy to spoil their way to a decision. McGregor hasn't shown that (yet, of course). I actually don't like the guy very much but a victory for him is good for the UFC, especially as it would notch the threat to Aldo that little higher (who is the only champion the weight class has had and been sat on the belt for 4 years).

Looking forward to Mendes Mcgregor in Vegas next weekend but i probably wouldnt have booked a trip over for it. If McGregor wins hed fight Aldo and obviously id prefer to watch that fight but cant afford to go to Vegas twice in a year. 

I get both sides of opinion to the Interim belt but it doesnt really mean anything to me, getting the belt of Aldo makes you the best, not picking up the interim belt off mini Mendes (who has lost to Aldo already).

It is crazy Aldo has fought 7 times in the UFC and has now pulled out of 5 fights. 

Fair play to Dana and UFC for this plan B, they are very good at keeping fans happy (or less pissed off) 

Fair play to Dana and UFC for this plan B, they are very good at keeping fans happy (or less pissed off) 

Hmmm Im a lot more synical than you!

Why, you think this was plan A all along?

To be fair, this is the fight that should have happened in the first place...

Chad Mendes is the number 1 contender and the number 2 featherweight in the world behind Aldo.

Im not knocking the talent Conor has, i think he is a special athlete but he hasn't fought anyone in the top 5. Siver, Poirier, Brandao, Holloway and Brimage are not top guys.

A win over Mendes is much needed and will put a major stamp on the division.

As for those saying Mendes is at a disadvantage taking the fight on short notice, dont be fooled. Mendes trains at Team Alpha Male and is always in shape. I wouldn't be surprised if he's had a full training camp, just on the off chance someone would get injured..

• Like 1

I have never known a plan B to be released before a fight is cancelled. Maybe Im wrong but Ill be surprised if Mendes hasnt been training for this fight earlier than yesterday!

I have never known a plan B to be released before a fight is cancelled. Maybe Im wrong but Ill be surprised if Mendes hasnt been training for this fight earlier than yesterday!

No, he has been training since the 23rd of June. Thats the day everyone found out he might be injured. Mendes himself said he was told then if Aldo cant fight he will be brought in and that he has been training since then presuming Aldo will be out.

I personally dont see any benefit from UFC doing this on purpose:

Mendes McGregor would have generated alot of hype on its own.

Mendes could quite easily kill their cash cow, McGregor. If Mcgregor lost to Aldo, fights against Mendes and Edgar will still get hype. Lose to Mendes and he definitely wont have the same value.

Alot of Fans think that Mendes ' wrestling makes him the harder fight for McG.

They spend alot of time and effort on the Aldo McG promotion expecting huge PPV numbers and so wasted money and will have let down fans.

Obviously, i find it interesting you think its possible and although as stated i trust Dana, to keep us happy, i trust that because mostly keeping us happy is the best way for him to keep/add viewers and make more money.

Â