Boilers

NurembergVillan

No, not Katie Hopkins and Anna Soubry.

My parents' boiler needs replacing, and I've had a few quotes (I'll be paying for it).  We've not got a massive budget here, so we're looking at the lower end of the market.

A couple of the quotes have said they'd use an Ideal Logic Plus, and another one has said he'd use a Ferroli Modena HE.

The latter is the best quote, but I've read some negative reviews about Ferroli.  That said, the Modena is their most recent model and seems to have good reviews - where I can find them.  It comes with a 7 year parts and labour warranty too.

Does anyone have any experience of this boiler, or any advice?  I'm not in the position to go full spec for a Worcester or Vaillant so just need to know whether to go with the best quote and trust the guy when he says it'll be a good boiler.

can't help as such but  , I'm having a new boiler fitted and my plumber said Worcester boilers are crap  ..too many parts in them and not all that reliable , he recommends a boiler make called Glow Warm

make of that what you will , I guess 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are grants available http://www.boilergrants.org.uk/

Thanks.  Don't qualify, unfortunately :(

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

can't help as such but  , I'm having a new boiler fitted and my plumber said Worcester boilers are crap  ..too many parts in them and not all that reliable , he recommends a boiler make called Glow Warm

make of that what you will , I guess 

I've heard of the Glow Worm ones too.  Warranty isn't as long them.

The fitter who's touting the Ferroli had said he's had more problems with Worcester than he has with the cheaper ones though.

I had a cheap Ferolli one fitted as a 'stop gap', 16 years ago and it's still going.

Granted the timer packed in about 3 years ago and I can only get hot water if I turn the rads on too, but it still works! 

• Like 1

Wish my dad was still alive NV as he would have written a dissertation for you on boilers - he was a plumbing merchant and sold that stuff his whole life.

From my limited knowledge I'll echo what some others have said that Ferroli are pretty damn good. At least they used to pay for him and mom to go over to Venice every year!!

• Like 1

In my new house the boiler is a “Greenstar” which I thought was a cheapo brand but later discovered its part of Bosch group and their trade name (and have won lots of awards).

• Like 1

Ideal Logic Combi 35 was in my new build when I moved in. 

5 years on, not a single issue so far. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Thanks for the help chaps.  I've gone for it and booked the guy who recommended the Ferroli.  It's got the 7 year warranty, and he was £300 cheaper than the next best quote.  Win!

The emit just enough carbon monoxide to get a nice chilled buzz too ?

• Haha 1

Â