Coventry City play for draw!

John

Yesterday Coventry City drew 0-0 with Morecambe. A result that gave both clubs what they wanted. In Coventry's case a place in the playoffs and in their visitors case safety from relegation at the expense of Barnet who were relying on a Coventry home win having done their bit by winning their own game 3-0. A draw was enough for both teams at the Ricoh and as the ball was passed around aimlessly to kill time in the midfield yesterday it was clear that there would be no winner and that football would be the loser. It is not the first time Coventry have done this. In 1977 they kicked off 15 minutes late and having heard the news that Sunderland had already lost played the last quarter of an hour of that game out with Bristol City to present both clubs with a point to keep them up and to doom Sunderland. This time Barnet are the victims of what appears to have been a manufactured draw. Will any questions be asked by the league?

Difficult to prove, and it's a can of worms that really isn't worth opening.  Besides, Barnet didn't go down because of yesterday they went down because they won like, four games between the middle of September and the end of March. 

It's a bit like a jockey not trying for me. A few fixed odds coupons may have been bust by this of course a few punters may have also suspected a draw and made money off the bookies as a result. It's why the last games kick off at the same time now. There is the point that clubs determine their fate over the course of 46 matches but in my opinion it should be 46 rather than 45 games that determine things. I think it is pretty clear from the highlights I have seen that both teams did not want to rock the boat yesterday by scoring. Should there not be a threat in place to deduct the point gained from a match like this to act as some sort of deterrent in such cases?   

from BBC website, doesnt sound like nothing happened

Morecambe goalkeeper Barry Roche made two excellent saves in a goalless first half to deny Michael Doyle and Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Kevin Ellison had the visitors' best chance shortly after half-time, but the veteran forward's shot flew just wide of the near post.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43931739

Amazingly this is Coventry first ever play-offs 

The Channel 5 “Goal Rush” program made it sound as if nothing happened in the game at all - but it showed the Morecambe keeper making a couple of saves. 

I imagine Morecambe came and played for a draw and Coventry didn’t over-commit pushing for a winner. 

Relegate Vermin Felchers! Horrible bunch of words removed their fans, well they used to be when they thought we were their rivals. Small heath clones.

On 06/05/2018 at 12:25, Zatman said:

from BBC website, doesnt sound like nothing happened

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43931739

Amazingly this is Coventry first ever play-offs 

They each passed the ball around to each other in the midfield unchallenged for a period towards the end of the second half. It was shown on SKY and commented upon but not shown on C5. The Barnet manager brought it up and was understandably angry about it but I think it is being brushed under the carpet by the media. I suppose if it was a bigger club than Barnet who suffered as a result more would have been made of this.

Edited by John

Â