Fitness trackers

mjmooney

Following on from a post in OT, I'm considering getting a Fitbit (or equivalent). Checking online, there would appear to be a bewilderingly large range of devices available, with a similarly wide range of prices. 

Anybody got any advice as to what to go for? 

I have a Misfit Ray it's really been good so far. Still on the first set of batteries from October.

I've bought a couple of Midfit Shine as presents and not heard anything negative.

I've had most of the Jawbone UP range. They don't last, but I love the charging system(s).

I won't buy Fitbit because of what they did to Pebble (see other threads).

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, limpid said:

I have a Misfit Ray it's really been good so far. Still on the first set of batteries from October.

I've bought a couple of Midfit Shine as presents and not heard anything negative.

I've had most of the Jawbone UP range. They don't last, but I love the charging system(s).

I won't buy Fitbit because of what they did to Pebble (see other threads).

Thanks. I suppose what I'm after is best 'bangs per buck'. I don't have a big budget, so I'm wondering which is the best of the cheap ones, I suppose. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Thanks. I suppose what I'm after is best 'bangs per buck'. I don't have a big budget, so I'm wondering which is the best of the cheap ones, I suppose. 

Misfit Ray, Shine, Shine 2 start at around £40-45 on Amazon. Try for 30 days and send them back if they aren't for you.

I like the Misfits as they work reasonably if you just carry them in your pocket (not for sleep tracking obvs).

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, limpid said:

Misfit Ray, Shine, Shine 2 start at around £40-45 on Amazon. Try for 30 days and send them back if they aren't for you.

I like the Misfits as they work reasonably if you just carry them in your pocket (not for sleep tracking obvs).

Sounds good, thanks. 

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to get my dad a GPS running watch, but I'm struggling a bit to find one that might be suitable.

He's a little bit of a technophobe (he's only just got a smartphone) so I want to get something fairly simple that he can get along with, something to just track his runs.

I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS, but that's a little more than I'm looking to spend and has a lot of features he'd probably never use (smart notifications, music control, night and day heart rate).

Anybody know of anything a little more basic?

10 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm looking to get my dad a GPS running watch, but I'm struggling a bit to find one that might be suitable.

He's a little bit of a technophobe (he's only just got a smartphone) so I want to get something fairly simple that he can get along with, something to just track his runs.

I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS, but that's a little more than I'm looking to spend and has a lot of features he'd probably never use (smart notifications, music control, night and day heart rate).

Anybody know of anything a little more basic?

I still use this old tomtom and I run a lot. The newer versions have onboard music storage and proper bluetooth support, whereas this is most reliable with usb connection imho.

$149... I'm sure you can find it somewhere online over that side of the pond too. GPS, heart-rate and feck all else. 

https://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Runner-Cardio-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00JD4TFD2

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very tempted to pick up the new Fitbit Versa. at £199 is £100 cheaper than the Ionic and it’s only really missing GPS in comparison. Versa is a much much better looking watch too. Hmmmm. 

• 4 months later...

Any VTers use a Samsung gear s3 (frontier)...?..am thinking about swapping my fitbit for one and I wonder if anyone on here got opinions on them ?

Edited by mottaloo

Â