Will we give Bruce and the team a clean slate?

Villan_of_oz

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

One man's reason is another man's excuse.  The differences are subtle.  I will agree that stating reasons why you think he will succeed in the future is not an excuse.

I'm glad you and he can see how bad we are.  You and I are not responsible to fix that.  He is, and he has not done it (yet).  Otherwise we wouldn't be agreeing that "the football is shit."

The next question then is, is he held accountable for that failure or not.  Reasons why you think he will get it right next month are reasons.  Reasons are also things that he could not possibly be expected to hold any control or influence over.  When he got here, the team was unbalanced.... that was a reason.  After a rebuilt midfield with big financial support, the team being unbalanced has become an excuse.

"reasons" why he has not gotten it right already, are mostly excuses (IMO).  They are offered with the intent to "excuse" his failure to fix the playing issues.  It's what he is doing to change it, that I have my problem and see people (not him) making a ton of excuses for him.

baring in mind my reasoning is no better than yours, but let me try.

To have a balanced team, you have to have the various types to make it.....much like an orchestra....5 brilliant violinists, don't make up for 5 poor french horns or trombones, so 5 more brilliant violinists won't fix it.

He has had one window, both financially and practically, its difficult to do that in one January window.

There are many,many factors that need fixing and its not a Holus Bolus, each factor takes a varying amount of time.

No one including me can be sure Steve Bruce will fix it like we hope, any more than he will not.....we simply don't know.

The thing I am fairly certain on is .....This job was a major repair and no manager, would do it in a short space of time.

We can criticise the manager for this that and the other and for sure, he has and will make mistakes, there are so many factors of dynamic proportions its easy to get it wrong at times.....but in my view that is no reason to jump on him at every opportunity.

He is our manager and the club will keep him, they must be satisfied with what he is doing, but don't miscontrue that ,with saying the football is ok, because its not and he knows it and so do they.

He now has a new window and providing the financial support is there in reasonable amount he will further strengthen and the space and freedom of a month to get his message across and work on a few things.

The only difference in our arguments as i see it is ....the here and now versus the future.

There was too much to fix in a 30 odd games.

Ps I can't really see the point of writing this again.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

He needs to seriously up his game and play more attractive attacking football and take the game to our opponents, otherwise next season will be wasted as well. If he does that,  i will change my opinion, but I don't think it is in his nature to change his approach sadly.

• Like 1

I would give him 6 games to make a good (at least 12 points) start to the season. If that doesn't happen I would sack him. Dr Tony should definitely go into the new season with a replacement in mind, just in case. 

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 13:35, srsmithusa said:

We have not had a manager in my memory that has been handed constant excuses the way this guy has.  I don't get it.  

We have got to stop hiring and firing.....

We all know this that is why excuses/reason are made.

Villa need to play the long game (not long ball!!) what I mean by this is when a big ship is off course, changing direction is a slow and laborious process.

Can we please give at least ONE manager time to do it properly?

Edited by MarkLillis

26 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Villa need to play the long game (not long ball!!) what I mean by this is when a big ship is off course, changing direction is a slow and laborious process.

Yes, the next guy :)

Bruce gets 10 games from me, I have called for us to play better football for a long time under him but start of next season is just getting points on the board for me, no matter how we do it. If we are up there after 10 games, I think there will be a different atmosphere about the place, and players can play a little bit more freer and more expressive. I genuinely think half the problem is a few of them are still overawed by how big this club is, especially the stadium...and we are very quick to groan.

Just get points on the board early doors!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

That's EXACTLY what I don't get.   Why weren't there all these passionate arguments to give Garde more time?  Or RDM?   Because the field performances were so terrible?  (pot, meet kettle).

• Like 3

Well I would have given Garde more time (could he have coped in the Championship? we will never know).....or Sherwood even (with hindsight would also not have been pretty, again we wont know) and was always arguing for Lambert to get one more season too....but I think in the end he was given a fair crack at it although most fans would have had him out in season two.

The only one that didn't really have my support was RDM he just didn't feel right for us. What I AM searching for is a manager I can trust running a club with an identity, which we have definitely not been for almost ten years.

How can anyone create this in 9 months?

In my opinion we have to keep giving managers time until one of them creates the club we are looking for.

• Like 1

Â