Business Ethics

maqroll

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Would you knowingly destroy another person's business if you could increase your own sales by 50%?

That's a very hard choice. Obviously you want your business to grow, but surely it's morally wrong to destroy somebody else's livelihood. Or maybe we could look at it like this, if the other business can't compete with you through lack of ambition, incompeten etc then surely that is not your fault?  I wouldn't like to say and it would also depend who the other company was and what they were like.

• Like 2

If you are doing ok why would you take that other persons means to support his/her family?

There's obviously enough work for both of you, you could run it as you are, if their customers come to you over time because you offer a better service then that's the way to go, to knowingly destroy their business for your own gain is greed and greed has been turning reasonable people into c#nts for centuries 

• Like 2

Some wolf of Wall Street types will see it as dog eat dog but I think we will all agree it goes against any kind of decency. Thing is there are a lot of tests out there who won't think twice about leaving you in the shit.

Doesn't this happen all the time?

For example, a smallish town relies on a Ma and Pa run supermarket to provide the good people of said town with all their grocery needs. A franchised supermarket chain decides to set up a store in said smallish hypothetical town. People of the town flock to the shiny new franchised supermarket, putting Ma and Pa out of business.

As Ma and Pa are reduced to eating pigeons under a bridge, I don't think anybody associated with the new store loses a wink of sleep.

9 minutes ago, AJ said:

Doesn't this happen all the time?

I'm pretty sure it does, it would seem like the name of the game, the elimination of the threat of immediate competition.

I would concentrate on making my own business better and if that took sales from the competition then so be it. I wouldn't deliberately set out to destroy another business though. 

• Like 1

Yep, do your straight best for your business, the people you employ, your suppliers,and the family back home.

If your honest best sucks up all the trade and closes someone else, you can't really do much about that.

What's the alternative? Soft pedal and give your kids less of a start in life?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hycus-flange said:

If you are doing ok why would you take that other persons means to support his/her family?

There's obviously enough work for both of you, you could run it as you are, if their customers come to you over time because you offer a better service then that's the way to go, to knowingly destroy their business for your own gain is greed and greed has been turning reasonable people into c#nts for centuries 

Which is fine if there is enough work for both of you, but what if you are just getting by?

obviously if there is enough work for both I agree with you

Edited by colhint

Â