Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

There is still single player elements to it. I don't think it's as in depth as previous iterations, and yes the focus is definitely on the online multiplayer aspect, but the single player is still there. 

It has standard single player races (escalating in difficulty and circuit with bronze silver and gold targets) plus it has a campaign which is made up of different challenges.
Plus your standard time trials and "circuit experience" which is basically just a way to learn the circuits but broken down into segment time trials (which are too easy fwiw)

But you're right it feels very much like a multiplayer game with a single player element tagged on, rather than the other way round. The multiplayer is brilliant fun though!

Cheers Stevo, I have decided to take the plunge and have ordered the game. I was planning on buying Red Dead Redemption, but as that has been delayed again I have time and funds to give this a go instead and at it's current price is hopefully a bargain. I think a little bit of practice may be required just to get myself back up to speed with the controls etc. as it has been a while since I have played any proper driving games. I used to be half decent at the original GT series so hopefully I will soon be up and running in online races.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Cheers Stevo, I have decided to take the plunge and have ordered the game. I was planning on buying Red Dead Redemption, but as that has been delayed again I have time and funds to give this a go instead and at it's current price is hopefully a bargain. I think a little bit of practice may be required just to get myself back up to speed with the controls etc. as it has been a while since I have played any proper driving games. I used to be half decent at the original GT series so hopefully I will soon be up and running in online races.

Yes! Another GTer!

Yeah have a practice and get yourself used to it. But don't be too afraid to jump into the online races ("Sport" on the menu)

The game is pretty good at matching you up with people the same rating as you so it won't be like you're getting annihilated by the best drivers.

So by my reckoning we've got 

Me
@dubbs
@Dick
@NeilS

who definitely have or will have the game.

Plus @StefanAVFC and @villarule123 who could have the game in the near future.

Would 6 be enough to set up some sort of GT league?

Edit: @Ingram85 looks like you have the game too (or had?). Any interest in some online action?

Edited by Stevo985

P'd off with this tonight.  Daily races on One Make....... just so frustrating. Tried manual and auto gearbox cuz the cars so slow to get on the power after changing gear or when braking for tight corners. Tried changing the shift buttons to the shoulder buttons. No better. Argh I wanna improve but f### me I can't do it.

Wicked. I am just looking forward to having a laugh with you all. I used to be great at car games (Project Gotham, and was always winning online at Forza 4) but more recently my eyesight means I squint a lot and react late. Just looking forward to playing, even if I finish last!

• Like 1

Count me in for a VT league, I will try and get some practice over the weekend to get used to the controls again.

Just a quick question though, do you guys just use the standard PS4 controllers for this game, or do you use steering wheels and pedals etc?

Ok cool, so I will be alright with what I already own.

I was just wondering, as after I discussed buying GT with a bloke at work he suggested that I might need to look into buying a wheel and pedals to make it easier to control and that I would probably just be spinning out with a normal controller. I never used to bother with all of that stuff with the old games, so wasn't planning on laying out extra money on controllers. I think he takes gaming a lot more seriously than I do haha.

40 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Ok cool, so I will be alright with what I already own.

I was just wondering, as after I discussed buying GT with a bloke at work he suggested that I might need to look into buying a wheel and pedals to make it easier to control and that I would probably just be spinning out with a normal controller. I never used to bother with all of that stuff with the old games, so wasn't planning on laying out extra money on controllers. I think he takes gaming a lot more seriously than I do haha.

I'm sure if you want to be the best of the best then you need a wheel. But I think way too much emphasis is put on it. You can be plenty competitive with a controller (I'm going by what I see on Reddit where there is a large community)

Basically if you get to the stage where you're putting in perfect lap after perfect lap then going for a wheel might be the next step. But I don't think it will make a whole load of difference for Joe Average (I'm including myself in there!)

You certainly won't be spinning out with a controller. Maybe if you turn traction control off, but again I don't think you need to do that unless you want to be shavings tenths of a second off when you're already putting in perfect laps.

32 minutes ago, dubbs said:

To be fair @Stevo985 uses a controller and drives really well (in his vids ;)) so with practise a controller will still give you a good chance of finishing highly. 

Ha, after racing with those guys last night I don't feel like I drive well!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice, you have put my mind at rest. I think the guy at work is on another level gaming wise and has all the kit going, and even goes to gaming conventions in foreign countries, whereas I pick up the controller whenever possible for a bit of fun and entertainment. I am not a serious or skilled gamer, so will be leaving the traction control well and truely on. :D

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

Thanks for the advice, you have put my mind at rest. I think the guy at work is on another level gaming wise and has all the kit going, and even goes to gaming conventions in foreign countries, whereas I pick up the controller whenever possible for a bit of fun and entertainment. I am not a serious or skilled gamer, so will be leaving the traction control well and truely on. :D

Yeah don't worry, the controller is perfectly fine for now.

In 6 months if you're putting in top 50 times then you might want to upgrade ;) 

• Haha 1

Getting a bit frustrated with it now.

I can't get anywhere near winning a race anymore. Highest I qualify is about 6th, and a few 3rd and 4th place finishes here and there.

Plus the SR is driving me up the wall. Been on B for ages. Tonight had 3 races. First two were blue (as in SR went up) but still in B. Then had one bad race (The Gr1 Daily race which was carnage as usual) and went down to a C.

Edited by Stevo985

Â