Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

I can't get enough of it.

I just wish I had more time to spend a few hours one day doing a daily race or two.

When you've only got about an hour a day for PS4 time it means I only get one or two attempts at a race each night, and not much time for qualifying. My search for that elusive win would be helped by being able to dedicate a bit more time to it.

Yeah I can already see that you need to put a bit of effort in, decided to spend an extra hour instead of doing some work and was then asked if I could move the deadline to this evening. Damn me!

But I played a bit longer ;)

257k22f.jpg

I haven't played around with the Livery editor too much. Seemed to complicated for me!

Luckily you can download community ones and they're way better than anything I could do :)

The Megane used to be a beast in the GR4 class. Literally every race the winner would be a Megane.

But I think they made it more balanced in a previous update as doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Don't expect you win anytime soon unless you're a pro!  

When qualifying try and do a clean lap really without pushing it too much. When you're happy with consistent lap times then try pushing harder. 

Do the One Make races to start with so everyone is in the same car. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dick said:

Going to have a crack at an online race tomorrow.

Any tips?

Just aim to race clean, and keep the car on the tarmac.

That alone will probably see you finish higher than you started even without directly overtaking anyone, which is effectively the sign of a good race.

Happy with this race:

Completely **** the start up. Totally my own fault. That first corner on Monza is an absolute bitch, missed my braking point totally.

Went to dead last but fought my way back gradually. And a really clean race after that start (except for that Italian word removed on 2:30 and 2:50. Dirty bastard. I never understand why people fight so hard to keep their precious 9th place)

Especially enjoyed the move on 3:50. Nice and clean. He even tried to cut the corner to stay in front. word removed.

Edited by Stevo985

9 hours ago, Dick said:

Going to have a crack at an online race tomorrow.

Any tips?

More tips.

At first, I would use a car that you feel comfortable with rather than going for the fastest. Once you're used to the game, you can check the rankings before you qualify and it will show you the fastest cars (or the cars people are fastest with on that track)

Usually the fastest cars are

GR4: VW Scirocco, Renault Megane, BMW M4, Ford Mustang, Audi TT Sport, Laborghini Huracan.

GR3: VW Beetle, Porsche 911 RSR, BMW M6 GT3.

Obviously it depends what you have in your garage, but once you've played for a while you'll probably have all of the above. You get a (random) car every day that you race 26 miles, and they're 350k-450k to buy.

If you have them I'd go for the VWs as a starter. The Scirocco for Gr4 and the Beetle for Gr3 stick to the road (relatively speaking) so they're really good especially around tight circuits.

Edited by Stevo985

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I may have to get this

It’s really good!

@Stevo985 I just did my first online race. Qualified 7th out of 12 and was doing ok, then suddenly the car in front of me swerved across me and braked hard, I made the decision to pull out of the way and brake so I don’t get punished, ended up falling down to 11th because of that (made two places back by the end) annoying that it cost me though!

Edited by Dick
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dick said:

It’s really good!

@Stevo985 I just did my first online race. Qualified 7th out of 12 and was doing ok, then suddenly the car in front of me swerved across me and braked hard, I made the decision to pull out of the way and brake so I don’t get punished, ended up falling down to 11th because of that (made two places back by the end) annoying that it cost me though!

Yeah that happens a lot. 

But it kinda feels better to finish lower but clean than higher but have smashed someone out of the way to do it. 

Frustrating but satisfying 

**** this game can be frustrating.

Had 3 attempts at Daily Race 3 today (GR4 on Dragon Trail). 

Each time I got punted off on the first lap and down into dead last place. Carved my way through the field each time but too far back to make it decent.

Oh and in the third one a guy spun off right in front of me so I drove into him (had no time to react) and it gave me a 10 second penalty and reduced my SR overall. words removed.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

**** this game can be frustrating.

Had 3 attempts at Daily Race 3 today (GR4 on Dragon Trail). 

Each time I got punted off on the first lap and down into dead last place. Carved my way through the field each time but too far back to make it decent.

Oh and in the third one a guy spun off right in front of me so I drove into him (had no time to react) and it gave me a 10 second penalty and reduced my SR overall. words removed.

Mate that sounds so frustrating! I hope they find a way to sort the issues like that, surely the game mechanics can read when somebody has spun and to not penalise.

forgot to thank you for the tips btw. Definitely took them in and am going to use the next few days to practise careful driving, will wait for others to make mistakes to capitalise upon.

7 hours ago, Dick said:

Mate that sounds so frustrating! I hope they find a way to sort the issues like that, surely the game mechanics can read when somebody has spun and to not penalise.

forgot to thank you for the tips btw. Definitely took them in and am going to use the next few days to practise careful driving, will wait for others to make mistakes to capitalise upon.

It's just one of the many small fine tuning things that would make the system better.

The other one is the yellow flags. They're pretty pointless and usually just end up in you getting a penalty. A car can spin off 10 metres in front of you and cause a yellow flag so quickly that you can't slow down, and you end up with a penalty.

There's a time and a place for aggressive racing. In my experience if you're too aggressive in the first couple of laps (assuming it's a long race) then you're way more likely to end up ruining your race than making any real gains.

My tactic is usually to avoid any crashes and keep the car on the track for the first couple of laps and take advantage of people crashing off. Then once everyone has settled down and is a bit more spread out, start putting in your hot laps and picking people off one by one.

Getting into a pack of racers all battling each other for a place is a lot of fun, but will more than likely be hell for your SR :D 

I used to love playing Gran Turismo on my old playstation, but have been put off this one by the lack of one player game and the focus on the online racing aspect of the game. I am now seriously tempted to buy it and give it a go after watching Stevo's video.

Edited by NeilS

14 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I used to love playing Gran Turismo on my old playstation, but have been put off this one by the lack of one player game and the focus on the online racing aspect of the game. I am now seriously tempted to buy it and give it a go after watching Stevo's video.

There is still single player elements to it. I don't think it's as in depth as previous iterations, and yes the focus is definitely on the online multiplayer aspect, but the single player is still there. 

It has standard single player races (escalating in difficulty and circuit with bronze silver and gold targets) plus it has a campaign which is made up of different challenges.
Plus your standard time trials and "circuit experience" which is basically just a way to learn the circuits but broken down into segment time trials (which are too easy fwiw)

But you're right it feels very much like a multiplayer game with a single player element tagged on, rather than the other way round. The multiplayer is brilliant fun though!

• Like 1

Â