Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Surovkin apprehended according to the Orcs.

The plot thickens, Stalinist purge coming up? A purge could push the military over the edge to finish what Wagner started. 

Russia is also back at bombing HTS in Syria, a Turkey backed group, Erdogan won’t be pleased.

Edited by magnkarl

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

28 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Isn't this very specifically limited to things that directly relate to the invasion of Ukraine, though? Escalating that to attacking Russian cities in tit-for-tat attacks would be a gigantic escalation?

A gigantic escalation for who, the West or Ukraine? As I see it Ukrainians have very little to lose at this moment in time other than continue to be systematically killed. Potentially for the next several years to the point very little will be left. The whole Eastern part of the Country has been destroyed, the South infrastructure destroyed, families destroyed and we harp on about not escalating by attacking Russia directly. Imagine if the we had the same attitude in 1939. All because we don't want to make the bully angry. 

Like I said in my original post, It's just something that I think about, not something I necessarily advocate. But if for instance Ukraine came out tomorrow and said we are going to attack Russian Cities directly I'd understand completely. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

A gigantic escalation for who, the West or Ukraine? As I see it Ukrainians have very little to lose at this moment in time other than continue to be systematically killed. Potentially for the next several years to the point very little will be left. The whole Eastern part of the Country has been destroyed, the South infrastructure destroyed, families destroyed and we harp on about not escalating by attacking Russia directly. Imagine if the we had the same attitude in 1939. All because we don't want to make the bully angry. 

Like I said in my original post, It's just something that I think about, not something I necessarily advocate. But if for instance Ukraine came out tomorrow and said we are going to attack Russian Cities directly I'd understand completely. 

We do have a right to influence their decisions because it's a quid pro quo for supplying arms and intelligence. I think it's a bit idealistic to think this is purely Ukraine's conflict, as much as they are the ones being devastated by it on a human level.

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Are people really talking about attacking Russian civilians in order to ‘send a message’? 

Not specifically civilians, but it still strikes me as odd that Russia regularly fires dozens of missiles into Ukraine but the whole of Russia is considered out of bounds.

Ukraine should commence hitting more locations in Russia as long as Russia are hitting Ukraine with kamikaze drones and cruise missiles. Russia can make it stop at any point. 

Zelensky should address the people of Russia and tell them that they will not be attacked without response anymore. Any strikes in Russia are a result of the decisions Putin is making. 

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Are people really talking about attacking Russian civilians in order to ‘send a message’? 

I would destroy their infrastructure, starting with electricity generation and distribution. Next to no civilian casualties and a massive amount of disruption. The network is also huge and hard to defend.

The Russian people have to feel some pain before they turn against Putin and that's what it needs for this war to end, Putin needs to go. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinker said:

I would destroy their infrastructure, starting with electricity generation and distribution. Next to no civilian casualties and a massive amount of disruption. The network is also huge and hard to defend.

The Russian people have to feel some pain before they turn against Putin and that's what it needs for this war to end, Putin needs to go. 

Isn’t that what Russia tried to do over the winter? Things inevitably go wrong though. A missile gets knocked off course by air defence and lands in a shop or school etc.

Nothing ever goes as neatly as planned. 

I would like to see Ukraine receive more air defence though.

At the moment they are having to choose between defending their cities from drone and missile strikes or defending their front line troops from Russian air power. It’s a terrible dilemma and neither target is properly protected. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Surovkin apprehended according to the Orcs.

The plot thickens, Stalinist purge coming up? A purge could push the military over the edge to finish what Wagner started. 

Russia is also back at bombing HTS in Syria, a Turkey backed group, Erdogan won’t be pleased.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Surovkin was the Russian general that sent a message to Prigozhin telling him to stop

The Air Force was the only branch of any Russian service that actually attacked the Wagner column. They lost 13 pilots and 7 mostly very valuable rare aircraft

But in the other column, it's also not the first time he’s been arrested over a mutiny (failed coup of August 1991)

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

Surovkin was the Russian general that sent a message to Prigozhin telling him to stop

The Air Force was the only branch of any Russian service that actually attacked the Wagner column. They lost 13 pilots and 7 mostly very valuable rare aircraft

But in the other column, it's also not the first time he’s been arrested over a mutiny (failed coup of August 1991)

I does make no sense yet it's being widely reported. Apparently in charge of the Air Force?  Putin in Dagestan too drumming up support lol.

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Close mates with Prighozhin though, Prighozhin never rants about Surovkin but rather Gerasimov and Shoigu.

Either way, it's good for Ukraine.

Ukraine seem to be gaining momentum, especially around Bakhmut where Klischiivka will soon be surrounded and cut off. It could be poetic justice if Bakhmut is the first bigger 'city' Ukraine liberates in the counter offensive. It'd likely make Wagner even more angry.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

New Russian erm.... cope cages... sorry anti-srone cages, but now you've got to turn the tank around if you want to shoot backwards :D 

Looks it was designed by the same person who did the Titan submersible.

• Haha 1

Satellite images appear to show activity at a disused military base in Belarus, amid speculation about Wagner forces relocating to the country.

An image from 27 June obtained by BBC Verify, and first reported by Radio Free Europe, shows what could be tents or similar structures appearing at the base.

An earlier image taken on 19 June shows the fields within the military compound largely empty.

_130239733_belarus_tsel_before_after_640

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66052061

Wagner are still operating and recruiting. Business as usual.

The Wagner Group is still recruiting fighters across Russia, days after staging a mutiny that led Vladimir Putin to raise fears of civil war.

Using a Russian phone number, we called more than a dozen recruitment centres saying, if asked, that we were inquiring on behalf of a brother.

All those who replied confirmed that it was business as usual. 

From Kaliningrad in the west to Krasnodar in the south, no-one believed the group was being disbanded.

In the Arctic city of Murmansk, a woman at the Viking sports club confirmed that she was still signing up fighters for Ukraine.

"That's where we are recruiting for, yes. If someone wants to go, they just have to call me and we'll set a day."

link

Edited by Genie
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wagner are still operating and recruiting. Business as usual.

link

They can't just stop recruiting.   They have "businesses" across Syria and elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, trekka said:

They can't just stop recruiting.   They have "businesses" across Syria and elsewhere.

They were supposedly being absorbed into the regular Russian army weren’t they? 

In the story it says that the recruiter told their caller the “positions” were for placement in Ukraine.

Edited by Genie

Â