The refereeing crisis

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It's pretty rare - Clattenburg would have been late 20s when starting in the Premier League, and there's no way he would have handled, say, Liverpool vs Man Utd.  Referees need to gain a lot of experience (unlike footballers, really) before taking charge of highly-scrutinised games.  Michael Oliver has broken pretty much every single "young referee/assistant" record going - he got his first PL game at 25.

I mean, unless you're suggesting we massively push for refereeing academies that kids can go to aged 10 to start their career, you're naturally always going to have referees that come to their peak in their mid 30s at the earliest.

I don't disagree, but as you said there is a difference between players/referees. There's really no excuse to have 50 year olds unless they are in really exceptional condition for their age. Phil Dowd is a striking example because he was noticeably overweight and behind the play.

• Like 1

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

I don't disagree, but as you said there is a difference between players/referees. There's really no excuse to have 50 year olds unless they are in really exceptional condition for their age. Phil Dowd is a striking example because he was noticeably overweight and behind the play.

No, of course.

But then... who wants to be a referee? :o

• Like 1

On 18/12/2016 at 13:01, StefanAVFC said:

Are my memories wrong? Has reffing always been this dire?

Yes, pretty much. Sometimes worse, sometimes a bit better, but mostly the same.

Everything's on the telly, in HD and slo mo and on 37 channels. Everything gets analysed now and perhaps more mistakes are picked up and talked about as a result, but refs and linos have always been human, same as players.

There's more technology to help them, but the game is played at breakneck pace and mistakes and so on will always happen.

Fuss over nothing, IMO.

• Like 4

just start of with technology next year with:

1. is player whos kicking the ball in the net immediate offside. Check whilst celebrating the goal.
2. People who get given a pen/FK in final third did they dive with 0 contact what so ever. quickly check.

just start of with that and after season just add gradual complexity to the rules to see how well it works. And as steve said earlier...if you cant prove it 100% from tech it doesnt make it bad. As long as it improves it some % its better than not to do it. Just gradually increase complexity over time 

Edited by gharperr

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes, pretty much. Sometimes worse, sometimes a bit better, but mostly the same.

Everything's on the telly, in HD and slo mo and on 37 channels. Everything gets analysed now and perhaps more mistakes are picked up and talked about as a result, but refs and linos have always been human, same as players.

There's more technology to help them, but the game is played at breakneck pace and mistakes and so on will always happen.

Fuss over nothing, IMO.

Yep. 

Anyone who's watching Villareal-Barca just now will realise this problem isn't confined to England....two clear as day penalties refused for handball.

I've always been technology just for goal line clearances but more I think about it....give each team one challenge per half on incidents in the penalty area.

I personally think the refs are far worse in Spain than England.

Take tonight....4 minutes of injury time....Asenjo the Villareal keeper play acts for 30 seconds after a cross....then Costa gets sent off and takes nearly a minute to walk off the pitch...ref blows on 94.10. :rolleyes:

Spanish refs tend to be so lax on the basics of the game.

From watching the european leagues I find Seria A refs to be the best all round. Bundesliga on a par with the prem.

It's just a very difficult job especially with the speed of the game nowadays.

Yes I agree La liga refs are far worse that in the Premier League but I guess they have to put up with far more play acting. I don't think refs are that bad in this country. I think its so much more difficult being a ref in the modern era.

Â