The VT Advent Calendar 2016

NurembergVillan

On 06/12/2016 at 12:22, NurembergVillan said:

Onto the midfield for day 6, and this is a shirt that's seen some tough tackling hard men and some silky skilled ball players too.  Gareth Barry was a great combination of both these attributes, but he was also someone who had a few different squad numbers.  For me, there was a number 6 who came in and proved to be a great all round midfielder and a great captain, and doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

Number 6 -

78960451.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA

One of my favourite players back in the day, a proper midfielder! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Window number 8, and on a personal level I'm torn here.  I still well up when thinking about Big Ron's 92/93 team, and Garry Parker was the first name I ever had on the back of a shirt.  His incisive passing was crucial to that team and, without getting into an Ashley Westwood debate, he was the epitome of what makes a team tick.

BUT it's Christmas, and what would this time of the year be without angels?  For a while we had our own.  At times unstoppable, and at others frustrating but you can't help but wonder how he may have faired in some of the other Villa teams through the years who were better set up to serve his needs.

For the number 8 shirt, there's only Juan Pablo Angel...

1408373013745_wps_12_Football_carling_cu

Honourable mentions for Garry Parker, Mark Draper, Gavin McCann and James Milner.

Dishonourable mentions for John Fashanu, Robert Pires and Jermaine Jenas.

Wasn't Johan Fashanu injured a lot during his one year at Villa? So was Jenas.

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Window number 8, and on a personal level I'm torn here.  I still well up when thinking about Big Ron's 92/93 team, and Garry Parker was the first name I ever had on the back of a shirt.  His incisive passing was crucial to that team and, without getting into an Ashley Westwood debate, he was the epitome of what makes a team tick.

BUT it's Christmas, and what would this time of the year be without angels?  For a while we had our own.  At times unstoppable, and at others frustrating but you can't help but wonder how he may have faired in some of the other Villa teams through the years who were better set up to serve his needs.

Honourable mentions for Garry Parker, Mark Draper, Gavin McCann and James Milner.

Hmmmm.  I have broadly been in agreement with you choices and honorable mentions till this point. 

Now I loved JPA,  for sure one of my all time favorites and looking back I ache at the thought of some of the dross we have had since............... But surely,  surely Gary Shaw should be above JPA and to not get an honorable mention?  

I assume you are a bit younger than me,  is this just players you have seen in the flesh so to speak? 

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmmm.  I have broadly been in agreement with you choices and honorable mentions till this point. 

Now I loved JPA,  for sure one of my all time favorites and looking back I ache at the thought of some of the dross we have had since............... But surely,  surely Gary Shaw should be above JPA and to not get an honorable mention?  

I assume you are a bit younger than me,  is this just players you have seen in the flesh so to speak? 

Sadly I am too young to have seen Gary Shaw in his prime, although I'm not really young any more!

My self imposed rule was to only choose players from the squad number era, which was why Charlie Aitken missed out when Mike wanted him at number 3, and why I'm not going to allow myself to have Alan McInally behind window number 9 tomorrow... :(

43 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Sadly I am too young to have seen Gary Shaw in his prime, although I'm not really young any more!

My self imposed rule was to only choose players from the squad number era, which was why Charlie Aitken missed out when Mike wanted him at number 3, and why I'm not going to allow myself to have Alan McInally behind window number 9 tomorrow... :(

Gotcha......... Hmmmm.  No 10, let me think,  let me think. 

Window 11, and not a shirt number that has seen a huge amount of talent over the years - particularly as Gabby has held onto it for 8 seasons now.

It's been a pretty diverse shirt in terms of players and positions, from the aforementioned striker/inside forward to Andy Townsend, Tony Daley, Stan Collymore, Alan Thompson and Nobby Solano who very nearly got the shirt.

I decided to go for someone who sometimes gets missed as a Villa icon, although he contributed a lot during his two spells here.  Number 11 -

steve-staunton-of-aston-villa-in-action-

Honourable mentions for Andy Townsend, Nobby Solano and Gabby Agbonlahor.

Dishonourable mention for Gabby Agbonlahor.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2016 at 09:27, NurembergVillan said:

David Platt was number 8 wasn't he? My boyhood hero and the only choice for me.

Edit: Ah. Read the whole thread now. Squad number era.... ;)

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

Â