The VT Advent Calendar 2016

NurembergVillan

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I am sure JPA wore 18 in O'Leary's first season. 23 goals, good times.

Yeah, he did.  I'd already got him in as my number 8 though. If Yorke wasn't the competition for 18 I'd have gone for JPA at 18 and someone else at 8.  Maybe next year!

• Like 1

Window 21 is a case of what might have been, not for the player but for the club.

A list of home-grown disappointments have worn this shirt - Dave Farrell, Paul Browne, Lee Collins, Darren Byfield, JLloyd Samuel, Steven Davis, Ciaran Clark.  None quite reached the heights hoped of them, although Davis has clearly gone on to show his potential elsewhere.

Currently occupied by Alan Hutton, and previously Jordan Bowery and Nicky Shorey, you could make a pretty good argument that this shirt is cursed.

One player wore it well, though, and I can't help but wonder what might have happened if we'd just given him the chance he craved...

article-0-045A1CA90000044D-395_468x314.j

Honourable mentions - Steven Davis, Jordan Bowery (just for that wheelchair gif)

Dishonourable mentions - nobody really. The list of names just makes me feel a bit sad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Surely Cahill is the most/one of the most decorated ex-Villa players in a long time. Who has won more trophies in the last, say, 30 years? Yorke? Who else?

That's a good shout actually.  I don't think you can count Robert Pires, and he didn't win the CL either.  Got to be him or Yorke.

Ooh, you can almost hear the sound of sleigh bells as we open window 22!

I was thinking of maybe putting Gary Charles or Hassan Kachloul in the frame today, if only for a bit of novelty or to balance out my squad.  In 2001-2 though, our number 22 was a homegrown lad with electric pace and an eye for goal that would see him catapulted into the England team, scoring an incredible scissors kick on his debut against Holland.

I just couldn't leave him out -

1002891-oct-2001-darius-vassell-of-villaAD80BCE8-337F-4661-8B24-6CFB13815537.png

Never quite achieved what we hoped - Guy Whittingham, Dave Farrell, Luke Moore, Gary Gardner.

Rubbish goalkeepers - Scott Carson, Brad Guzan.

• Like 3

This is such a brilliant thread NV, an emotional rollercoaster on an internet forum about Aston Villa. Not an easy thing to achieve! (Proper emotions, not a 1-0 reverse at Carrow Road and the world is about to end emotions).

However, purely because of the emotional rollercoaster you have instigated, I'm not having Dwight Yorke in the same team as proper heroes like God, Petrov and Mellberg. He doesn't deserve that level of adulation. Put him in the Recycle Bin XI.

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Agree with that entirely! 

Although it's worth giving a bit of a shout for Amavi who, against my earlier expectations, is playing some good football under Bruce. Fingers crossed he is coming good.

Agree. He almost went in, but I feel sick that Laursen and Carew were nowhere to be seen because of McGrath and Atkinson.

• Like 3

Manager Vote for Big Ron right here.

I started supporting Villa just after Taylor left and stuck through an entire season under Jo Venglos trying to remember why I chose this club.

I have no elegance to the Birmingham area, just wanted to pick a club that played good football and that nobody I knew supported.

The team that BFR built and we opened the season with that win over Sheff Wed (2-3 stauntoooooon) then winning the coca cola cup as it was then reminded me and filled me with emmence pride. 

I long for days like that to return.

Sorry for going on. So BIG FAT RON'S CLARET AND BLUE ARMY !!!!

• Like 3

On 23/12/2016 at 11:39, NurembergVillan said:

Window 23!  What a time to be alive!

The list for this shirt, on the rare occasions it's been occupied, comprises - Bryan Small, Neil Davis, David Hughes, Najwan Ghrayib, Stefan Moore, Patrik Berger, Habib Beye, Aly Cissokho and Jordan Amavi.

An advent calendar is a countdown to Christmas, and according to the rules of Countdown you're allowed to work with the numbers to get the right answer.  If I work with the numbers 2 and 3 I can add them together to make 5.  Owing to the presence of God back in window 5, this guy couldn't get in.  But thanks to the magic of Christmas here he is. The right answer today is Martin Laursen...

Martin-Laursen-scores-Aston-Villas-750th

Can I congratulate you on your brilliant creativity to crowbar in a very very deserving player. The magic of Christmas indeed. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â