Gareth Southgate

Richard

3 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

and yet to be convince about this Colwill kid. its simply as if he plays for Fulham he would not get a look in.

Or even in a decent Brighton team last year...

He's being played at LB which might give him an in for the England team as we should be looking at an alternative (with Chilwells fitness record and him obviously playing for Chelsea there ahead of Chilwell) but at CB he's simply not played enough games or shown anything

Would be typical Southgate if he bangs the experience drum then calls up a kid with 23 PL games under his belt

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Whats the bet that he calls Colwill up for the next squad?

Playing out of position for a shit Chelsea team

Wasn't Colwill in the last squad or am I confusing him with Guehi?

He'd have been on Southgate's radar for playing 20 odd times for Brighton and now he's starting every week for Chelsea (albeit not actually at CB) so I wouldn't really begrudge that one especially with the LB issues (Shaw and Chilwell both out of the October games so really no idea which LB he's going to call up).

Wonder if Portugal have actually ever contacted Konsa as beyond Dias they really don't have much depth at CB. Now Pepe has retired from NT they're callling up Toti Gomes from Wolves as one of the backups. 

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

and yet to be convince about this Colwill kid. its simply as if he plays for Fulham he would not get a look in.

I don't know, he did call up Mitchell from Palace for some squads last season. He's steady but I always thought Rico Henry was better all round LB and should've got a chance at some stage in last 12 months.

Guess it will be just something boring like Trippier playing LB and Colwill as cover and Southgate moaning endlessly about lack of English LBs playing in prem. He'll probably start playing Maguire there if Trippier picks up a knock.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I don't know, he did call up Mitchell from Palace for some squads last season. He's steady but I always thought Rico Henry was better all round LB and should've got a chance at some stage in last 12 months.

Guess it will be just something boring like Trippier playing LB and Colwill as cover and Southgate moaning endlessly about lack of English LBs playing in prem. He'll probably start playing Maguire there if Trippier picks up a knock.

but this is it another of his fav club Palace, quite a few average players getting fast tracked once they hit some kind of form - Guehi, Mitchell (which i completely forgot he plays), Gallagher when he was on loan (i know being a chelsea boy also helps), Eze (i have no problem with), Sam Johnstone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wonder if Portugal have actually ever contacted Konsa as beyond Dias they really don't have much depth at CB. Now Pepe has retired from NT they're callling up Toti Gomes from Wolves as one of the backups. 

Yes, I think this is going to be driving some of the discussion among Southgate's team. It's not just Portugal, IIRC he's eligible for France and Angola as well (presumably the latter would hold little interest and I guess the former are probably stocked), but Portugal seems like a particular danger and he has the immediate example of Cash to show it can be fun to stop being English. 

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He'd have been on Southgate's radar for playing 20 odd times for Brighton and now he's starting every week for Chelsea (albeit not actually at CB) so I wouldn't really begrudge that one especially with the LB issues (Shaw and Chilwell both out of the October games so really no idea which LB he's going to call up).

Pretty sure he was training with the first team although not sure he was officially in the squad 

Edit - just seen he was in the last squad

Edited by villan95
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Agree about looking at him at LB, that makes sense and yeah he was in the last squad

But again it's just him being a hypocrite isn't it? All this bollocks about experience and he calls up a guy with half a seasons worth?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agree about looking at him at LB, that makes sense and yeah he was in the last squad

But again it's just him being a hypocrite isn't it? All this bollocks about experience and he calls up a guy with half a seasons worth?

Yeah he's really gone past what's acceptable with his statements if he still keeps on calling up Phillips and Maguire for the next batch of games.

Man. City put on Oscar Bobb ahead of Phillips at Wolves.

And Maguire just warming the bench for months on end. He'll still be in the squad though. Phillps left out for one of the younger CMs in the prem (maybe Jones at Liverpool).

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah he's really gone past what's acceptable with his statements if he still keeps on calling up Phillips and Maguire for the next batch of games.

Man. City put on Oscar Bobb ahead of Phillips at Wolves.

And Maguire just warming the bench for months on end. He'll still be in the squad though. Phillps left out for one of the younger CMs in the prem (maybe Jones at Liverpool).

Hold on, Oscar Bobb is actually a real name 😂

My new favourite player

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Hold on, Oscar Bobb is actually a real name 😂

My new favourite player

Scandinavian aswell so get that poster up in your bedroom.😉

"We think he is good enough" - National team picking Manchester City youngster early - Sport Witness

On September 2nd, Oscar Bobb made his first team debut for Manchester City when he came off the bench in their 5-1 victory over Fulham.

Since then, the 20-year-old has made four more appearances, including one start in the Citizens’ 1-0 defeat to Newcastle United in the EFL Cup. His recent performances have helped him earn a first call-up from Norway for this month’s international break.

Going to try and predict the squad and see how close I can get to thinking like Southgate.

Key requirements include:

-Favouritism/stubborness

-Playing (not really) for a 'top' club

Pickford, Ramsdale, Johnstone

Walker, Trippier, Maguire, Guehi, Tomori, Dunk Colwill, Mitchell

Rice, Henderson, Phillips, Gallagher, Bellingham

Saka, Foden, Maddison, Grealish

Kane, Wilson, Rashford

Possibilities: another RB, Joe Gomez, Dan Burn, Trent, JWP, Eze, Gordon, Nketiah and at a push Watkins.

Edited by villan95

17 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Going to try and predict the squad and see how close I can get to thinking like Southgate.

Key requirements include:

-Favouritism/stubborness

-Playing (not really) for a 'top' club

Pickford, Ramsdale, Johnstone

Walker, Trippier, Maguire, Guehi, Tomori, Dunk Colwill, Mitchell

Rice, Henderson, Phillips, Gallagher, Bellingham

Saka, Foden, Maddison, Grealish

Kane, Wilson, Rashford

Possibilities: another RB, Joe Gomez, Dan Burn, Trent, JWP, Eze, Gordon, Nketiah and at a push Watkins.

Recall for Sterling another possibility

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

grealish hasnt done enough / fit enough to get a call up surely? don't think he's started a game for city since his injury

This is Southgate.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No Toney .so its Wilson.

No Stones so its Guehi

No Saka so its Bowen. 

To be fair i really don't care about callups as he just plays the same players anyway . I would rather they trained with a manager that will improve them than a manager that won't. Southgates high end tactics or Emerys ? 

Didnt Konsa play under Southgate for the U21s ? 

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

No Toney .so its Wilson.

No Stones so its Guehi

No Saka so its Bowen. 

To be fair i really don't care about callups as he just plays the same players anyway . I would rather they trained with a manager that will improve them than a manager that won't. Southgates high end tactics or Emerys ? 

Didnt Konsa play under Southgate for the U21s ? 

Southgate improved Grealish remember 

Â