Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, Junxs said:

Or another way to look at it it, he's getting the results against the rubbish teams - and only just beating them by the odd goal.. but as soon as we are up against decent opposition we come undone.

Which leads to the next question, would you trust Bruce to beat the decent teams in a playoff scenario? as automatic promotion is looking very unlikely now and his record against the better sides is simply atrocious to have any confidence to go up through the playoffs. 

Against the teams currently in the top 6 we have lost every game, so if anyone thinks we have a good chance in the playoffs really needs to think about this.

i could write reams on this but i will do the short version, because i'm going for a pint.

and you can quote me.....or put my head in the stocks outside Villa park.

Unless we find a way of improving the work of the forward line.....we are going no where.

The team are currently in5 th place.....but the work up front is equivalent to a relegation team.....I am not getting in to blame.....just making a statement.

The rest of the team is not perfect....but up front is woeful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

i could write reams on this but i will do the short version, because i'm going for a pint.

and you can quote me.....or put my head in the stocks outside Villa park.

Unless we find a way of improving the work of the forward line.....we are going no where.

The team are currently in5 th place.....but the work up front is equivalent to a relegation team.....I am not getting in to blame.....just making a statement.

The rest of the team is not perfect....but up front is woeful.

I agree TRO, especially with the bit about going for a pint :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

This is the single most misguided statement I’ve read in this thread. I’m sorry Demitri, I don’t really want to have a dig at you, because I agree with many posts you make, but this is just wrong. 

The thread has at times turned into a squabblefest and more about point scoring than debating the issue. That’s just the nature of the beast I suppose. However to say that Villa fans will be happy if we don’t get promoted just isn’t true. Everyone of us wants to be promoted, but some of us think that is more likely to be achieved with a change of manager. Would you suggest that if we change manager and get promoted, those people who are currently in favour of keeping Steve Bruce will be gutted? 

If we get promoted we’ll all be over the moon, if we don’t we’ll all be gutted. First and foremost we’re all Villa. 

the game.

Dave.......Is it a "Duck"or is it a"Rabbit"......We rarely see both at the same time.

The images are ambiguous, but the percept is real( in our heads)

we all watch a game, but its our mental activity or perception, that differentiates our views.I think its fascinating, but we can get hung  up that our interpretation is the right one.

back to the manager...

No one knows the answer in truth and i guess the Brinners like me would just watch with baited breath......I don't think the club know.....forth coming results may help, but it would take a brave man to sack a manager in the play off places.

just remember, the club will have access to so many potential advisors, not just the official ones like Ian Taylor and Brian Little, they will listen to players and the Euro team...the stan Collymores and the Ron Atkinsons.....They will build a picture.

unless we fall off a cliff....can't see Steve Bruce going anywhere.

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The problem is there always seems to be something. 

Needing a pre season.

Having that holding player to allow the team to attack. 

Now it's the forward line. 

I'm still waiting for when the manager might actually take responsibility for under performing

Yeah, but we all know that it‘s the hysteria thats the problem.

It can‘t be ffp because we‘ve spent what we can

We‘ve had a preseason

and 2 transfer windows

It cant be the defence because Hutton can play RB & LB, We got Samba ......oh he‘s injured. We have Elphick and Richards, What‘s with our youth players? oh yes I remember, we had Baker......what happened to him? is he injured too?

It cant be MF because .......er......well we have loads of em

The only thing it could be is the goal scoring. 

But wait we have a MFer who can score a hattrick, A wide player chipping (more than) in.

We spent 30+mill on goal scorers

Well we have Kodjia - but we dont because he‘s injured - maybe he was brought back too soon

We have Gaby - but he‘s been injured too

RHM - He‘s been injured

Davis has picked up an injury too (i read that on here - is it true?)

Hogan was injured

McC - well he‘s in the land of Oz but I hear he‘s injured too

Injuries - I hope its not just the forwards!

Well we had Green out injured too, Jedi and Terry, Grealish?

Is there a pattern here?

is it the ages? Terry, Jedi, Gaby,

Kodjia? Hogan? McC?

Not fit enough?

Overplayed?

Medical staff?

I guess one could be simplistic in an answer of, The one(s) responsible for putting that lot together!

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The problem is there always seems to be something. 

Needing a pre season.

Having that holding player to allow the team to attack. 

Now it's the forward line. 

I'm still waiting for when the manager might actually take responsibility for under performing

I think if you read many posts on here, he does take responsibility for perceived under performing.

The problem is you are right.....there always seems to be something, because there usually is.

I think Whelan has been in the main effective, but as soon as he settles in, we lose JT and Kodg......as the manager says three steps forward ,two steps back.

so you think i am reluctant to blame him, .....when i see a guy with webbed feet putting out fires, i have a bit of sympathy.

There will/ may come a time when i am not so benevolent....i.e poor results.

I comment on what i see on match day.....thats my interpretation.In recent times Kodg is the only thing i have seen come close to a forward and he is flawed by not passing.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

When all the digits are in place....i don't think they are.

The problem is you are right.....there always seems to be something, because there usually is.

I think Whelan has been in the main effective, but as soon as he settles in, we lose JT and Kodg......as the manager says three steps forward ,two steps back.

so you think i am reluctant to blame him, .....when i see a guy with webbed feet putting out fires, i have a bit of sympathy.

There will/ may come a time when i am not so benevolent....i.e poor results.

I comment on what i see on match day.....thats my interpretation.In recent times Kodg is the only thing i have seen come close to a forward and he is flawed by not passing.

What managers don't have issues to deal with? 

36 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

This is the single most misguided statement I’ve read in this thread. I’m sorry Demitri, I don’t really want to have a dig at you, because I agree with many posts you make, but this is just wrong. 

The thread has at times turned into a squabblefest and more about point scoring than debating the issue. That’s just the nature of the beast I suppose. However to say that Villa fans will be happy if we don’t get promoted just isn’t true. Everyone of us wants to be promoted, but some of us think that is more likely to be achieved with a change of manager. Would you suggest that if we change manager and get promoted, those people who are currently in favour of keeping Steve Bruce will be gutted? 

If we get promoted we’ll all be over the moon, if we don’t we’ll all be gutted. First and foremost we’re all Villa. 

Dave my post was meant about bruce leaving not about promotion ( it wasnt made clear when i look back at it)

I would like to think everyone would be thrilled with promotion!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

What managers are not in the top 6......18 of them.

I don't know what your point is. You have sympathy with him because in your head he's the only manager who has issues to deal with. And it always seems to be the current issue he has that leads you to sympathy. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

the game.

Dave.......Is it a "Duck"or is it a"Rabbit"......We rarely see both at the same time.

The images are ambiguous, but the percept is real( in our heads)

we all watch a game, but its our mental activity or perception, that differentiates our views.I think its fascinating, but we can get hung  up that our interpretation is the right one.

back to the manager...

No one knows the answer in truth and i guess the Brinners like me would just watch with baited breath......I don't think the club know.....forth coming results may help, but it would take a brave man to sack a manager in the play off places.

just remember, the club will have access to so many potential advisors, not just the official ones like Ian Taylor and Brian Little, they will listen to players and the Euro team...the stan Collymores and the Ron Atkinsons.....They will build a picture.

unless we fall off a cliff....can't see Steve Bruce going anywhere.

As you say no one really knows and there is probably always something going on or being discussed that we never will know. And quite rightly. It depends how ultimate Dr T puts all the bits and pieces together in his head and what he comes up with. Whatever that may be he can’t be sure his decision is right or wrong, or as most things are, somewhere in between. 

Then of course there may be outside factors. Someone may suddenly become available that may swing the board’s opinion, or Brucie could just leave. Who knows, we’re dealing with humans and they’re never totally predictable. (I’ll leave that open for those who want to add a few “Bruce tactics” jokes. :D

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not in its current state they wouldn't. 

Of course they would. We have 2 important players out. 1 is on the verge of returning and 1 has not been involved much anyway. 

The rest is made up of some absolute top quality for this level. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Of course they would. We have 2 important players out. 1 is on the verge of returning and 1 has not been involved much anyway. 

The rest is made up of some absolute top quality for this level. 

Is it though? What makes our squad so much better than say Boro or Leeds? Is it the money we have spent or the fact we have players with Premier League experience? There's a reason they are not playing in the Premier League anymore. 

i think half the problem is we are not as good as people think we are. Btw this by no way a defence of Steve Bruce. 

• Like 3

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is it though? What makes our squad so much better than say Boro or Leeds? Is it the money we have spent or the fact we have players with Premier League experience? There's a reason they are not playing in the Premier League anymore. 

i think half the problem is we are not as good as people think we are. Btw this by no way a defence of Steve Bruce. 

Even if its not so much better than Boro, Leeds etc, its definitely not any worse. And given we have Steve '4 promotions' Bruce in charge instead of young upstarts like Christiansen and Monk, shouldn't we be expecting the manager to make a big difference?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, andym said:

Even if its not so much better than Boro, Leeds etc, its definitely not any worse. And given we have Steve '4 promotions' Bruce in charge instead of young upstarts like Christiansen and Monk, shouldn't we be expecting the manager to make a big difference?

You would hope for that but it doesn't always work that way. If it did no upstarts would ever get a chance. 

12 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Does that mean what you said is a defence of Steve Bruce?

Although they are not as good as we all think they are. They are not shit so shouldn't look it so often. That's where the problem with Bruce lies. 

As far as we know this may be the worst team he has ever managed in this league therefore has been found out. 

Edi disclaimer: had a few drinks after work so today's opinions may not be completely my own. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â