Week 1 - Riverboat Ron's Redemption

StefanAVFC

17 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

What an atrocious win.

The Seahawks over the past few years have to have the worst offensive line play for a contending team ever.  I'm coming around to the view that the management has made the conscious decision to not invest there and count on Tom Cable to keep the line from being a total disaster, so they can spend the money elsewhere.  There's no other explanation (besides something involving Pete Carroll, John Schneider, or Paul Allen; a camera, and farm animals) for how Cable keeps his job.

Top QBs by DYAR this week (zero over a season is calibrated to be roughly the level of mid-tier backup QB; at this point in the season, there are no adjustments for the quality of the opposing defense, so Stafford, Brees, Luck, Carr, and Gabbert will all probably see downward revisions and Newton, Siemian, Garoppolo, and Tannehill will all probably see upward revisions)

1. Stafford (197)
  2. Brees (195)
  3. Luck (150)
  4. Winston (148)
  5. Carr (132)
  6. Rodgers (106)
  7. Ryan (96)
  8. Dalton (75)
  9. Wentz (70)
  10. Rivers (66)
  11. Hill (58) / Prescott (58)
  12. Palmer (51)
  13. Roethlisberger (42)
  14. Smith (37)
  15. Garoppolo (37)
  16. Mariota (30)
  17. Gabbert (24)
  18. Bortles (18)
  19. Osweiler (17)
  20. Manning (10)
  21. Cousins (-2)
  22. Wilson (-4)
  23. Flacco (-25)
  24. Fitzpatrick (-27)
  25. Newton (-28)
  26. Siemian (-53)
  27. Taylor (-60)
  28. Cutler (-79)
  29. Griffin (-94)
  30. Tannehill (-120)
  31. Keenum (-177)

Was always gonna happen (and I'm not complaining btw).

Broncos’ Darian Stewart, Brandon Marshall fined for Cam Newton hits

broncos_panthers_075.jpg?w=660

Broncos safety Darian Stewart has been fined by the NFL $18,231 for his fourth-quarter hit and linebacker Brandon Marshall has been fined $24,309 for his third-quarter hit on Panthers quarterback Cam Newton last Thursday.

Stewart said he was expecting a fine on the play, which was penalized in-game for roughing the passer but nullified by Newton’s intentional grounding. Per the league’s schedule of fines, $18,231 is the minimum issued for a first offense of roughing.

Marshall has said he, too, expected a fine for his hit on Newton and admitted it appeared as though he launched at Newton’s head to try to tackle him. The fine of $24,309 is the minimum for “impermissible use of the helmet (including illegal launching).”

“It didn’t. And that’s fine,” he said Monday. “I don’t want to say too much because I know they’re going to fine me. I’m going to get a letter.

“The guy is running at me, there’s nobody around and I leave my coverage — that’s how important it is. I leave my coverage just to try to hit him. … The guy, he ran the ball 11 times for, what, 54 yards? That’s a good day for a quarterback in my opinion.”

Commissioner Roger Goodell told The Washington Post on Monday that officials “missed at least one” illegal hit by Broncos defenders, who had at least four helmet-to-helmet hits against Newton in Denver’s season-opening win.

“The one call that I’m aware of that they missed when he was moving back to the offensive line, back to the line of scrimmage, and he pulled back up and went to (being) a passer,” Goodell said, referring to Marshall’s hit. “He gets that passer protection when he’s in the passing mode. But the defender used a technique that we’ve been trying to get out of the game, frankly. He left his feet and went to the head. It’s ultimately all about the technique that’s used, that’s coached. And we want to make sure it’s not.”

The latest two fines, coupled with cornerback Bradley Roby’s $24,309 fine for a hit against the Los Angeles Rams in the preseason, brings the Broncos’ total money lost in fines to $66,849.

Fining millionaires about 1% of their paypackets is as insulting and a complete waste of time. Those two hits were disgusting, headhunting at its most blatant. 

Teams won't stop doing this. Stop the quarterback like this and you'll more than likely win the game, $20k fines ain't stopping shit. 

Edited by Milfner

10 hours ago, leviramsey said:

Bringing in the college headhunting rule (sending off for more than one half of football (if you get sent off in the second half, it carries over to the first half of your next game)) would be a start.

They do seem to go very light on player suspensions in general in the NFL.  No doubt related to the high salaries and short season.  It's definitely an area where they could make punishments more relevant and tangible though, I agree.

22 hours ago, Milfner said:

Fining millionaires about 1% of their paypackets is as insulting and a complete waste of time. Those two hits were disgusting, headhunting at its most blatant. 

Teams won't stop doing this. Stop the quarterback like this and you'll more than likely win the game, $20k fines ain't stopping shit. 

OT - footballers in the UK get fined the same amount for all levels, think a red card is £26 (been a while...) so me on a sunday morning or a prem player, same offence, same fine

Â