Champions League Final 2016

coda

it was mentioned on another forum but i kind of liked the idea of...

pens being taking on edge of area (or on the D) during pen shoot outs. Because at the moment it is totally all about the striker and it all comes down to atm is whether the keeper guessed the right way or not (or cheat by coming off the line). At least this way, you need to increase the skill of the pen taker AND the skill of goalkeeper actually comes into the equation. 

• Like 1

pens being taking on edge of area (or on the D) during pen shoot outs. Because at the moment it is totally all about the striker and it all comes down to atm is whether the keeper guessed the right way or not (or cheat by coming off the line). At least this way, you need to increase the skill of the pen taker AND the skill of goalkeeper actually comes into the equation. 

What a stupid idea

• Like 1

Well the right team won on the night on the evidence of play.  Although Pepe is such a **** scrote.  I thought Clattenburg had a really good game.  Didn't bottle the penalty decision and didn't fall for any of Real's shenanigans, and the offside was his linesman's fault.  But I really think Pepe deserved a yellow for his antics.  Both of his 'rolling around clutching his face' antics were the dictionary definition of gamesmanship and trying to get your opponent booked/sent off - or to put it another way - 'cheating'.  Until you punish players for that kind of thing they'll keep doing it.  And a weaker continental ref would have bought it, and wil continue to buy it.

And how bad is Atletico's goalkeeper at attempting to save penalties?  He was schoolyard bad for most of them.

Yes Oblak was a total car crash in that shoot out. 

Top keeper but what non-existent tactics. Madrid players were obviously briefed to strike to his left but surely he should at least guess and move a bit before the kick is struck rather than standing in the middle looking like an idiot. At least Navas did that for the penalty that hit the post.

Like them or not but penalties are the best way to settle games. Personally I'd scrap extra time and just go to pens after 90 minutes, you could see how knackered the players were as soon as they started so extra time was a waste.

I do remember about 15 years ago watching an Italian cup game and instead of penalties they made players dribble from halfway line and have to shoot past the keeper that way. Interesting idea but obviously didn't catch on.

I still love the following idea.

Have the penalty shoot-out BEFORE the game.  That way, firstly, the crowd always get their penalties, but more interestingly, it also means the team who lost the pre-game penalty shoot-out KNOW they can not let the game end in a draw, so as the game gets towards the end they will play absolutely balls out.

• Like 2

pens are the worst to Decide as its basically just a coin flip. ofc fun to watch..but best way to decide champions? nah

No it's not

At that kind of level with all that training and supposed technique those 22 players should be able to hit an unsavable penalty, put it right in the corner with pace where no keeper can get it

The reality is the technique isn't always that good, plus then you throw in the gamesmanship which they can't resist and the nerves required to step up

It's the ultimate footballing test

I personally think it's fairer than extra time which is a test of fitness and conditioning

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No it's not

At that kind of level with all that training and supposed technique those 22 players should be able to hit an unsavable penalty, put it right in the corner with pace where no keeper can get it

The reality is the technique isn't always that good, plus then you throw in the gamesmanship which they can't resist and the nerves required to step up

It's the ultimate footballing test

I personally think it's fairer than extra time which is a test of fitness and conditioning

On that note.  I remember hearing a story about a tourist in my ex's Dad's pub in South of Spain giving out stink at the telly about a player missing a penalty in a CL game and going on about how the hell players at that level can miss a penalty.  The guy next to him took great exception to this.  Tells him in no uncertain terms that at that level and in that scenario with the pressure, the goal "looks about as wide as (points at the toilet door) that door" then goes back to his pint.  Later on when the angry man had left, the tourist asked 'who was that bloke'.  Turns out it had been Ray Kennedy, who won 3 European Cups with Liverpool :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I still love the following idea.

Have the penalty shoot-out BEFORE the game.  That way, firstly, the crowd always get their penalties, but more interestingly, it also means the team who lost the pre-game penalty shoot-out KNOW they can not let the game end in a draw, so as the game gets towards the end they will play absolutely balls out.

The problem with that is that the team the wins the shootout would be inclined to sit back and play for a draw. Killing all the excitement. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gharperr said:

I've thought this before, basically have free kicks instead of penalties. 

The player(s) aren't expected to score so the subsequent blame would be reduced. I suppose the pressure on the keepers would increase.

There would also be a decent chance that the "winner" would have to be a good goal.

I guess that there's a purity about penalties though, so they'd never change it.

The problem with that is that the team the wins the shootout would be inclined to sit back and play for a draw. Killing all the excitement. 

Yeah I know but that's a very dangerous tactic and the other team's motivation to score would make it a swashbuckling finish :D

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

tumblr_nfi7eumwao1s2knhwo1_500.gif?w=650

Penalties are NOT a coin flip. Nor are they a lottery. I despair when I hear such rubbish from commentators. Their is a hell of a lot to be said for taking a penalty whilst under so much pressure and being physically ******* after playing for 120 minutes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Penalties are NOT a coin flip. Nor are they a lottery. I despair when I hear such rubbish from commentators. Their is a hell of a lot to be said for taking a penalty whilst under so much pressure and being physically ******* after playing for 120 minutes. 

I didn't say they were.

I just wanted to use that Jesse Pinkman gif, yo.

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Well the right team won on the night on the evidence of play.  Although Pepe is such a **** scrote.  I thought Clattenburg had a really good game.  Didn't bottle the penalty decision and didn't fall for any of Real's shenanigans, and the offside was his linesman's fault.  But I really think Pepe deserved a yellow for his antics.  Both of his 'rolling around clutching his face' antics were the dictionary definition of gamesmanship and trying to get your opponent booked/sent off - or to put it another way - 'cheating'.  Until you punish players for that kind of thing they'll keep doing it.  And a weaker continental ref would have bought it, and wil continue to buy it.

And how bad is Atletico's goalkeeper at attempting to save penalties?  He was schoolyard bad for most of them.

I wouldnt have given it, Torres played for it and reminded me of Pires that time vs Portsmouth

Just because someone was clever doesn't mean he wasn't fouled. The defender was stupid and full on kicked the attacker's leg. Penalty all day long.

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

dont get the Pepe hate, is he as bad as Terry, Vidic, Carragher or 1000 Italian defenders in history who use similar dark arts

Materazzi, sure. But most Italian defenders are cynical, but in no way as dirty as Pepe. In the final, I don't think Pepe did anything particularly awful. the 1000 card waving gestures by Atleti players all game long was as bad as his faking being hit. It's both trying to cheat. So I'm with you in talking about the final in isolation, but he is a scumbag. He's up there with Suarez in the absolutely shocking attempts to injure people he's carried out.

Â