Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Quite probably - but that's exactly the site I'd like us to buy for the football club - it'd give us space to develop open, up the roads a little more and if we were to build a new Villa Park between where we are now and the railway, open up an incredible space, sweeping across from the park to an open public space where the stadium currently sits that takes you from Aston Hall to the frontage of the new stadium. I think the site you've circled would be as good as any in terms of the best place to put a football stadium in Birmingham.

It would open up the area below the expressway from the Aston Inn to the Aston Tavern with a route from Aston Station to a new fantasy ground.

Spurs are the obvious example, given they are to build residential towers, a hotel and extreme sports hub, college and offices in an area smaller than the hypothetical area I highlighted. Add in an imax and the small concert venue it would turn a run down suburban area into a thriving rejuvenated part of Birmingham which Brummies would want to visit outside of Villa games. 

IMG_9846.jpeg

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It would open up the area below the expressway from the Aston Inn to the Aston Tavern with a route from Aston Station to a new fantasy ground.

Spurs are the obvious example, given they are to build residential towers, a hotel and extreme sports hub, college and offices in an area smaller than the hypothetical area I highlighted. Add in an imax and the small concert venue it would turn a run down suburban area into a thriving rejuvenated part of Birmingham which Brummies would want to visit outside of Villa games. 

IMG_9846.jpeg

This would be great but what happens to all the current residents ? Politically feels like a non starter.  

Just now, thabucks said:

IMG_9846.jpeg

Yep. As I've said before. Right on a redeveloped modern railway station 10 minutes into Birmingham and HS2 Connectivity. 

Smart apartment blocks with zero heating costs. Probably a few new bars around the new stadium to use. 

Sounds good don't it? 

• Like 3

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

This would be great but what happens to all the current residents ? Politically feels like a non starter.  

Politically solves a net zero conundrum. 

Ladywood is about to undergo wholesale redevelopment. Aston and Nechells has to be on their radar. 

The UK has the oldest, most inefficient housing stock in Europe and that just has to change. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Politically solves a net zero conundrum. 

Ladywood is about to undergo wholesale redevelopment. Aston and Nechells has to be on their radar. 

The UK has the oldest, most inefficient housing stock in Europe and that just has to change. 

What about local residents being displaced ?

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

IMG_9846.jpeg

Also see Brentford. 

image.png.45e41106d3c19e01034bf7a6f2e72972.png

And this in Perry Barr right next to the new railway station built for the Commonwealth Games. 

No one can tell me this isn't possible in Aston. 

image.png.5c8757f8793156042b455245d1409334.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They get compensated above market value and I wonder how many are owned and how many are rented. Maybe they could be offered the chance to purchase off plan a new apartment or town house. It’s about what is best for the greater area and wider good and a new district would bring the whole area up in value. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

The amount of apartments, hotel beds, offices, retail, recreational and community facilities which could be built within the highlighted area would be a massive catalyst for regeneration and could also get government levelling up funding towards the wider area. It would add value to the remaining houses. 

IMG_9845.jpeg

That looks like an awful lot of houses in that area. Buying all of them is going to be out of the question. Not everyone will want to move, etc etc. Whilst that space would be ideal, it surely has to be impossible to acquire?

Edited by Tayls

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

That looks like an awful lot of houses in that area. Buying all of them is going to be out of the question. Not everyone will want to move, etc etc. whilst that space would be ideal, it surely has to be impossible to acquire?

The whole area would need to put under a Compulsory Purchase Order so they have no choice. We would need to prove that by doing so it would be of socio economic benefit to the local and wider area. Right now it’s shit housing stock with a football ground as its neighbour. Any development would need to include at its heart community beneficial amenities and services. The whole area from Aston hall to the academy building would be opened up into a thriving new district given locals more opportunities, jobs, entertainment etc. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The whole area would need to put under a Compulsory Purchase Order so they have no choice. We would need to prove that by doing so it would be of socio economic benefit to the local and wider area. Right now it’s shit housing stock with a football ground as its neighbour. Any development would need to include at its heart community beneficial amenities and services. The whole area from Aston hall to the academy building would be opened up into a thriving new district given locals more opportunities, jobs, entertainment etc. 

How long would a period of consultation or notice take for that kind of thing? Assuming we’d need to help every single resident find new housing within timeframes? I have no idea how this kind of thing works… as you can probably tell. 

I mean, with the new academy structure across the river, it’s clear that we will be staying in that spot. But I’d be surprised if we managed to secure such a large space based on the outline you gave (as awesome as it would be). 

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

How long would a period of consultation or notice take for that kind of thing? Assuming we’d need to help every single resident find new housing within timeframes? I have no idea how this kind of thing works… as you can probably tell. 

There is a couple of periods of consultation, and depending on the responses a public inquiry, so about 12-18 months. I have to say working in that field that there has to be fairly exceptional circumstances for a council to CPO land. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Nor do I but been reading this …

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1071500/CPO_guidance_-_with_2019_update.pdf

and… 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_purchase_in_England_and_Wales#:~:text=Compulsory purchase is the power,various bodies in various situations.

• Like 1

Just noticed there’s a school as well in the area. Would involve having to move children to other schools or moving an entire school to a new building… 

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Also see Brentford. 

image.png.45e41106d3c19e01034bf7a6f2e72972.png

I have to say, I hate the Brentford set up. The ground is okay, not amazing, but it's so clear it's been forced into a very limited space and so many 'complimentary' buildings around it. Never really sussed the transport as have a parking space not too far away, so maybe that's a plus? But, overall, 3/10 for Brentford.

Just noticed there’s a school as well in the area. Would involve having to move children to other schools or moving an entire school to a new building… 

That does happen a lot more than you'd expect, maybe not for a new stadium usually, but I know it's happened in the Black Country in recent history, and I'm almost certain it's happened in Brum. Not supporting the idea BTW. 

TBF it’s a very nice looking school also. We are just talking of a pie in the sky fantasy right ow based on board appointments. It may just be a case of spreading workload amongst trusted lieutenants and nothing bigger than that. One can but dream of new stadia and entertainment districts but nothing points to that.  

Â