Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I honestly couldn't care less if our manager was attack minded, defence minded, midfield minded or no minded.

As long as he gets us up, I'll be happy.

Hughton has shown he can do well in the Championship. Wouldn't be a bad shout for us at all.

• Like 1

No, I just follow football

Good, then you'll know about his alleged situation with various football agents and all the lawsuits from his previous clubs

6 hours ago, KHV said:

No, I just follow football

So you will know that his teams don't play much of it. 

Edited by av1

Had the last 4 games been played without a ball we'd have scored the same amount of goals.

Had we forfeited the games we'd have the same amount of points and only 1 goal worse GD

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Had the last 4 games been played without a ball we'd have scored the same amount of goals.

Had we forfeited the games we'd have the same amount of points and only 1 goal worse GD

And a crap manager like Tony Pulis is just the fella to sort that out :P

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

The British/English manager requirement. As I've said countless times (which certain people seem to just ignore) I've got nothing against having a British manager and in fact my first choice would probably be Moyes. I just think it's rather backwards to specifically restrict yourself when it comes to nationality. If Karanka for example became available he'd be a much better option than many of the British names being bandied about.

Try actually reading my posts from time to time :rolleyes:

Would Karanka have been much good if he'd turned up at Boro the season they'd just been relegated; He joined them in I think 2014, they'd been in the championship for 5 seasons at that point so at least the high earners have been weeded out by then.

That's the problem I have, it's alright saying get in a foreign manager for the championship but it will take time to implement ideas and a bigger problem will be if the underachievers and demotivated players are still here.

Carvahal at Wednesday is doing a very good job, they're one of the teams down there who've impressed me with the football they play but again they've been in that division for a good few years now, Stuart Gray did a good job last season stabilizing them and giving the basis for Carvahal to build on.

Jokanovic helped get Watford promoted last season...not doing that well at Fulham this season however as they hover close to the bottom 3.

A couple of months back I pointed out that when Fulham and Cardiff went down they kept hold of Mgarth and OGS respectively and neither last past October. Now Cardiff are in much better shape with Russell Slade in charge who's done a very good job on a miniscule budget as Cardiff have had to massively reduce their wage bill in last 18 months.

What I'm trying to say for our situation is I'd prefer a manager with a working knowledge of that league who could stabilise us. I want us to go back up straight away but in our current state I wouldn't be putting any money on it.

At worst even if we don't go up at least get someone who can stabilise us and make sure we don't get in someone who relegates us again. Then we can appoint the fancy foreign manager to finish the job. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Blues fans are starting to question him more and more at the moment. His signings don't play much or contribute much and he struggles to make changes during a game. 

I'm not sure I'd want him over some of the other names we've heard. 

Considering the state they were in when he took over (they survived relegation to league one in the 94th minute and were in the bottom 3 the following season as Lee Clark didn't have a clue) he has done a very good job there. They've started to spend a bit more recently (how did they ever survive not going into administration?) but still the budget would be nowhere near top 10 given what likes of Derby, Hull, Boro etc spend.

I just don't see him leaving one championship side for another (god it hurts to type that), surely it wouldn't be worth the hassle, same city, would have to go back to the sty for a league fixture (that's one thing McLeish at least avoided with us), expectations of having to get us promoted while SHA are just happy with top half so he can build long term with them.

I don't see Rowett as an option at all. If we were in the prem and made an approach he'd seriously consider that but not in the same division imo.

I expect that if we don't go straight up next season we'd be stuck in the lower leagues for the foreseeable future.

For as long as Lerner remains as owner anyway.

Getting the next appointment right is huge. Really can't afford to gamble too much, but neither can we afford to play it safe with a "safe" Championship level manger.

The people running the club has a monumental task in the summer, get it wrong and we are DOOMED!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xela said:

There is an argument if Karanka is that good he should have had Middlesbrough promoted before this season. This is his 3rd season? And they probably have better resources in that division? 

They'll probably go up this season but last season they completely bottled a final at Wembley, sounds familiar?

With Rhodes, Nugent, Downing etc there's surely no excuse for not going up this season, personally think Hughton's done a far more impressive job at Brighton when you look at his resources and the squad he's built there. They could still nick automatic promotion.

6 hours ago, sne said:

Carlos Carvalhal if Wednesday are not promoted?

Just punch a few of his teeth out and say that the funny accent is an obscure Welsh one and we can pass him off as British easy :D

Of all the teams down there, Wednesday have played the best football imo, they were brilliant v Arsenal in the carling cup.

Really like the squad he's assembled down there, not all his signings but an impressive season. 

Also managed Sportling Lisbon and Besiktas so he's not some lower league novice who'd be dwarfed by the expectations of our club.

Well worth considering but I think we'll make an appointment sometime before end of the season so doubt he's on the radar.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would Karanka have been much good if he'd turned up at Boro the season they'd just been relegated; He joined them in I think 2014, they'd been in the championship for 5 seasons at that point so at least the high earners have been weeded out by then.

That's the problem I have, it's alright saying get in a foreign manager for the championship but it will take time to implement ideas and a bigger problem will be if the underachievers and demotivated players are still here.

Carvahal at Wednesday is doing a very good job, they're one of the teams down there who've impressed me with the football they play but again they've been in that division for a good few years now, Stuart Gray did a good job last season stabilizing them and giving the basis for Carvahal to build on.

Jokanovic helped get Watford promoted last season...not doing that well at Fulham this season however as they hover close to the bottom 3.

A couple of months back I pointed out that when Fulham and Cardiff went down they kept hold of Mgarth and OGS respectively and neither last past October. Now Cardiff are in much better shape with Russell Slade in charge who's done a very good job on a miniscule budget as Cardiff have had to massively reduce their wage bill in last 18 months.

What I'm trying to say for our situation is I'd prefer a manager with a working knowledge of that league who could stabilise us. I want us to go back up straight away but in our current state I wouldn't be putting any money on it.

At worst even if we don't go up at least get someone who can stabilise us and make sure we don't get in someone who relegates us again. Then we can appoint the fancy foreign manager to finish the job. 

I never said we should specifically get in a foreign manager, just that it's dumb to rule them out from the beginning.

• Like 2

The next manager being British says about as much about the football we'll be playing next season as if they'd said that the next manager should be tall.

But I guess they have some more attributes in mind :)

31 minutes ago, sne said:

The next manager being British says about as much about the football we'll be playing next season as if they'd said that the next manager should be tall.

But I guess they have some more attributes in mind :)

I'm personally not reading too much into the "British manager" rhetoric at all. I would imagine that when Remi left, we were at a significantly advanced stage of discussions with one or more replacements. Just as we were with Remi when we sacked Sherwood. It just so happens whoever the club is talking to is British, and the media folks at the club think it's a good message to give the fans. Hence the British manager angle. Im hopelessly optimistic still that being British was not actually a requirement at all, and it just worked out that way since they were actually looking for experience in getting teams promoted from the championship, which since it's the 2nd tier of English football, will naturally include British managers anyway.

• Like 2