The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

The 'empowering the HoC' line is rubbish.The Withdrawal Agreement is a legally binding international treaty, once it's signed there's nothing Parliament can do about it after the fact.  She's a very devious piece of work.

• Like 1

Just now, snowychap said:

The withdrawal agreement surely requires ratification on both sides?

Yes. My point is that promising to give MP's some notional democratic control over the backstop post-ratification is smoke and mirrors. It will be a matter of international law, so what the HoC has to say after the fact is irrelevant.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

She's basically saying Brexit can't happen, isn't she?

Can't have a hard border, won't sign up to making people poorer through a no-deal.

What's left?

I said a couple of weeks ago, more and more this kind of suggestion is being dropped into speeches and statements from our own government and the EU.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yes. My point is that promising to give MP's some notional democratic control over the backstop post-ratification is smoke and mirrors. It will be a matter of international law, so what the HoC has to say after the fact is irrelevant.

Ah. Gotcha. :thumb:

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I said a couple of weeks ago, more and more this kind of suggestion is being dropped into speeches and statements from our own government and the EU.

After I'd got past everyone laughing at her, it sounded crystal clear that there's no way this can work without shafting the Irish, or everyone.

• Like 1

Just now, snowychap said:

Bercow's intervention was really quite amazing.

I agree with it but I'm still a little surprised that he would rebuke May quite so openly.

Seems to be making things as embarrassing for the Government as possible, but stopping just short of making the vote happen.

• Like 1

Â