Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

I agree with what @Stevo985 suggested about the clear message though. 

Maybe someone with the gift of the gab can write up a brief manifesto to post on the Facebook page?

We need something that even the most passive of fan can point at and say "that's what it's all about".

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You won't be on your own DDID far from it.

I respect everyone's opinion but I am struggling with this not now argument and what if we are not relegated line. For one the odds on us staying up are that slim I would bet my house on us going down. Lets though say we do pull off a miracle and finish 17th that still isn't getting anyway close to being good enough for this club. As a one off blip then maybe show some grace but this is 5 seasons on the spin now though of battling relegation(six if you include us being in or just outside the relegation zone under Houllier for 6 months) and we have shown the patience of saints given the size of this club and the much smaller clubs that have been allowed to overtake us.

Sit on your hands and do nothing and and pray for a miracle if you want but to even be relying on a miracle to stay up is a disgrace and even if we did achieve the impossible under this mob we would face the same struggles again next season.

I'd hope that even those who don't agree would still be happy to atleast promote or even just like the Facebook page.

Surely you can all see what people are trying to achieve and would be willing, even if you won't join the protest, to help promote it for those that will?

• Like 4

I'd hope that even those who don't agree would still be happy to atleast promote or even just like the Facebook page.

Surely you can all see what people are trying to achieve and would be willing, even if you won't join the protest, to help promote it for those that will?

If everyone with even just a passing interest dedicated half an hour of their life to tweeting the shit out of this to anyone even remotely connected with the club it would be a massive, massive help.

Differences aside we all love this club no? WE are the club, me and you and him and her. By definition we love each other. Support your fellow Villans if nothing else.

• Like 1

I'm a bit late to this thread, and have tried to catch up as best i can but have likely missed a couple of things. I think the idea, and the togetherness of this is fantastic. However, i think that it needs a couple of things...

1) An short "open" letter from @MikeMcKenna and the organisers (whoever they may 'officially' be). People need to understand what the beef is, and what we hope to achieve. It is going to be a lot easier for lazy journo's to republish a letter and add their commentary to the begging and end, as opposed to them writing out an explanation of what is going on.

2) Once that has been finalised and "signed off" it should be recorded as a YouTube video, again this makes it much easier for Journos to simply link to/embed. It also makes it easier for your average joe to watch on his mobile down the construction site on his break.

3) We can then ask for Villa fans to record their own 30 second message (in response) about how disillusioned they are. Marry the videos into the Twitter and Facebook and it should create a decent vehicle with a clear and concise message. It'll likely be a little easier to reel in the likes of Collymore etc this way, it also allows foreign Villans to do their part and make it look like a global push.

I think this has got legs, but point number 1 needs addressing asap (as others have mentioned). If Mike continues to be the front man i am sure someone like @dont_do_it_doug. has the capability to put the words from his interview into a passionate post to be cleaned up and polished ;)

Also, once the message is finalised, we can get onto the lads at the Aston Villa Review podcast to pimp this out for the next few weeks.

Edited by Chewie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chewie said:

I'm a bit late to this thread, and have tried to catch up as best i can but have likely missed a couple of things. I think the idea, and the togetherness of this is fantastic. However, i think that it needs a couple of things...

1) An short "open" letter from @MikeMcKenna and the organisers (whoever they may 'officially' be). People need to understand what the beef is, and what we hope to achieve. It is going to be a lot easier for lazy journo's to republish a letter and add their commentary to the begging and end, as opposed to them writing out an explanation of what is going on.

2) Once that has been finalised and "signed off" it should be recorded as a YouTube video, again this makes it much easier for Journos to simply link to/embed. It also makes it easier for your average joe to watch on his mobile down the construction site on his break.

3) We can then ask for Villa fans to record their own 30 second message (in response) about how disillusioned they are. Marry the videos into the Twitter and Facebook and it should create a decent vehicle with a clear and concise message. It'll likely be a little easier to reel in the likes of Collymore etc this way, it also allows foreign Villans to do their part and make it look like a global push.

I think this has got legs, but point number 1 needs addressing asap (as others have mentioned). If Mike continues to be the front man i am sure someone like @dont_do_it_doug. has the capability to put the words from his interview into a passionate post to be cleaned up and polished ;)

Also, once the message is finalised, we can get onto the lads at the Aston Villa Review podcast to pimp this out for the next few weeks.

I'm thinking of putting together a website for all worded content... I'm just not sure I could do that and manage it day-to-day. I've so much on right now especially as most of my work comes during the spring/summer months. If somebody can help, I can put together a simple Wordpress website to be self managed...??

Celebrity Villa Fans

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7503723

HRH Prince WilliamDavid Cameron might have some pull :D

If we could just get one of these famous fans to join it would be massive. Golfer Justin Rose has 483000 followers on twitter.

Ian Bell has 130000

Ozzy has 4.3 million although he might not be aware he has a twitter account...

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, DK82 said:

I'm thinking of putting together a website for all worded content... I'm just not sure I could do that and manage it day-to-day. I've so much on right now especially as most of my work comes during the spring/summer months. If somebody can help, I can put together a simple Wordpress website to be self managed...??

I think a website is a decent idea, but it's not likely to be the entry (or even secondary) point of info for most people. It might serve as a decent place to centralise everything like you suggest though. If you can throw up a wordpress site on the domain outthedooron74.com then i'd be happy to manage it. But like i mentioned in my initial post, we need that message.

To be perfectly frank, we could probably do with a role call on who is willing to take responsibility. A somewhat organised structure as to what is needed by whom and when.

• Like 2

Mike wrote a great email to the press. It was passionate, lively, and it made the point well enough that it got him a spot on radio. I don't know if he posted it in the thread? Either way if he's happy for me to do so I'd be delighted to tidy it up a touch and we can use that as the mission statement.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chewie said:

I think a website is a decent idea, but it's not likely to be the entry (or even secondary) point of info for most people. It might serve as a decent place to centralise everything like you suggest though. If you can throw up a wordpress site on the domain outthedooron74.com then i'd be happy to manage it. But like i mentioned in my initial post, we need that message.

To be perfectly frank, we could probably do with a role call on who is willing to take responsibility. A somewhat organised structure as to what is needed by whom and when.

Let me know if a website is decided upon... and if that is the case I will need to talk to the person who wants to manage it. I just think it'd be a good base to store all information and perhaps even news articles about Lerner, you know, maybe a timeline of events.

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Mike wrote a great email to the press. It was passionate, lively, and it made the point well enough that it got him a spot on radio. I don't know if he posted it in the thread? Either way if he's happy for me to do so I'd be delighted to tidy it up a touch and we can use that as the mission statement.

That would be great, @MikeMcKenna, are you happy to send that over?

I think it's the opposite of what happened at last year's protest

IIRC they did some kind of protest where everyone walked in after 8 minutes, but it was Liverpool at home, we were averaging about 32k a game and that game we got the plastics and the tourists in and got about 40k in the ground, so the media got to print photos of the holte pretty much full and that the protest didn't work (there were plenty of other things that went on that day, club took the piss out of us trying to do it)

This time around I think the attendance will be down, I won't be going, dunno if we're on TV or just on a Tuesday night but I've knocked night games on the head it's a ball ache getting there even from working in Wolverhampton, it'll be circa 30k, so the number of people that could be walking out is already down, the fact that the attendance will be circa 30k should be enough of a story in itself...

24 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Let me know if a website is decided upon... and if that is the case I will need to talk to the person who wants to manage it. I just think it'd be a good base to store all information and perhaps even news articles about Lerner, you know, maybe a timeline of events.

If you can sort the domain, the hosting, and get a wordpress install with a decent theme up on outthedooron74.com then i'll manage it from there. I'm no longer a coder but if i have admin access to wordpress then i can pretty much take it from there in terms of functionality.

We don't have a lot of time to dress it, here's how i see the site working...

Fixed front page: Mission statement/Open letter along with embeded Youtube video.
News: Updated with goings on, press that have picked up the story etc.
Twitter: Pulled in twitter feed and tweets
Facebook: Same as above
Contact: Central contact email, can be monitored by multiple people if needs be. If Mike is the front man then it just needs someone to say, hey "speak to this person at this time" or whatever.

Timeline is a nice idea, if we get some designer to do an infographic it will increase linkability and engagement. Who did the banners and such?

Then it's just a case of some sustained social campaigns. Get everyone on Monday to tweet why they love Villa, on Tuesday why they hate Randy etc. Video responses work well as i mentioned above. X day should see everyone "spam" these set of people about our cause and what have you. If @limpid gave us a sub-forum it would allow separate posts to dish out information about what needs to be done on each day and how people can help ;) You could do this via the website as 'commands' but works better on an established forum where people can feedback without direct exposure during planning.

Could also do with some flyers to hand out before the game, but that can be crossed in the coming days.

Edited by Chewie
  • Like 1

Â