The Premier league

VillaChris

Imagine someone told you in 2007 that the top 4 in 2016 is going to be Arsenal, Man City, Leicester and Spurs. And that Crystal Palace and a team called Stoke would be in the top 6-8. You would have laughed at them for suggesting something so silly.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Imagine someone told you in 2007 that the top 4 in 2016 is going to be Arsenal, Man City, Leicester and Spurs. And that Crystal Palace and a team called Stoke would be in the top 6-8. You would have laughed at them for suggesting something so silly.

and Villa with their new owner splashing the cash would be a laughing stock

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It happens, 10 years ago likes of Charlton and Bolton were finishing in top 7 and both could be in league one at the end of the season.

There's 6-7 big clubs in England so if a couple of them drop off and have poor seasons like us and Everton (and Spurs a few years back) that creates a void that can be filled by a smallish club on a good run.

• Like 1

On Friday, January 01, 2016 at 07:39, Keyblade said:

That's what peddles the myth of it being a great league, football has always been and should be cyclical, however that only seems to extend to 3rd to 20th now, Leicester will keep sky excited, the reality is the league will be won by city or arsenal, top four will be the usual 3 plus I think spurs will do it this year, but I'm still convinced top 4 is a case of someone dropping down rather than someone stepping up, spurs will get top 4 because Chelsea got worse not because spurs got better and therein lies the problem 

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what peddles the myth of it being a great league, football has always been and should be cyclical, however that only seems to extend to 3rd to 20th now, Leicester will keep sky excited, the reality is the league will be won by city or arsenal, top four will be the usual 3 plus I think spurs will do it this year, but I'm still convinced top 4 is a case of someone dropping down rather than someone stepping up, spurs will get top 4 because Chelsea got worse not because spurs got better and therein lies the problem 

I was alluding to the fact that the Sky 4 back then used to be locked down. United, Chelsea, Arsenal, LIverpool. This was the top 4 every year for a over a decade, and even City being a consistent top 4/title contending team would have been shocking back then. 

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was alluding to the fact that the Sky 4 back then used to be locked down. United, Chelsea, Arsenal, LIverpool. This was the top 4 every year for a over a decade, and even City being a consistent top 4/title contending team would have been shocking back then. 

its a good job city did break up that top 4, remember the sycophantic days of 'grand slam sunday'?

• Like 3

I used to hate Grand Slam Sunday. It was used as a way to insult the rest of the teams as well

I dont care about City money but im glad they are a top team now mainly as they replaced Liverpool from that spot ;)

• Like 1

Something that really has got me  lately is just how often Liverpool are on tv, its wrong, my understanding is every team is guaranteed 10 games live, for every game shown live after these 10 the club receives an extra £750k per game, it must give Liverpool an extra £5million a season

7 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Something that really has got me  lately is just how often Liverpool are on tv, its wrong, my understanding is every team is guaranteed 10 games live, for every game shown live after these 10 the club receives an extra £750k per game, it must give Liverpool an extra £5million a season

Have you got any numbers to back this up?

last season each club received 52.5million for there 10 broadcast games, then most clubs received between 7million & 10million, (Aston villa got an extra £8.25million), Liverpool got £18.25million, only Arsenal and man Utd got more (19.5 and 20.25million respectively)

i understand the need to broadcast the games that will be most watched but Liverpool appear to get an over the top proportion of televised games imo with a significant financial benefit.

Edited by Jimzk5

Â