The Premier league

VillaChris

Just why is it so bad then this season?

Fair play to Leicester and all that, it's very refreshing to see them up there but eventually they;ll fade.

This Man. United side have been in decline for years, Fergie managed to keep them winning titles but now he's gone they look nothing special and struggle to score.

Chelsea have fallen off a cliff for whatever reason.

Man City, world's richest club yet Pellegrini was whinging about squad depth today. They are a mess at the back when Kompany dosen't play and he was poor himself last season.

Arsenal, actually a good team who attempt to sign world class players like Alexis and Ozil but get knackered by injuries every single season.

Spurs, decent and I like the youth in their team but draw too many games to even make the top 4 imo. Still possibly lack that killer mentality that is Spurs-esque.

Liverpool...no one will talk about them as you get banned if you give Liverpool credit on this forum but they now have a proper winner as a manager in charge now and if they all stay fit some fantastic attacking players. Ones to watch in the second half of the season, think they'll go down in europa aswell.

The obvious answer is money has ruined it. I look at it from the angle that yes teams have 100ms to spend but there's only so many good players to go around and half of them are playing for Barcelona and Bayern Munich so have no interest in leaving those teams.

Hence you get clubs spending god knows what on likes of Sterling, Otamendi, Memphis Depay, Baba Rahman etc and hyping them up to be world class players when they're not, they're a level below that.

That and mid table clubs have improved, look at how Stoke played today, they would never have attempted that under Pulis (although they were still very difficult to beat in those days), a club like Palace can sign Cabaye nowadays so teams from 8th-14th are much more capable of taking points off top 6 as they have much better teams nowadays. 

• Like 4

You summed it up well. Money has changed the landscape and now with the amount on offer through TV deal etc teams are doing everything possible to stay up and if that means giving it a go against the so called bigger teams so be it. I'll keep this post Villa free but it's one of the most interesting seasons in recent history. 

I think its a lot more interesting at the top than last season Chris but theres no outstanding team. Maybe the money has allowed teams like Leicester to get quality players in, so theres a levelling off effect.

Why no outstanding team though, thats the question?

We keep on getting told with all this tv money prem clubs can afford anybody they want in world football and it's impossible for anyone to break the cartel of top clubs.

Yet Leicester are taking the mick of the second point and as I've said there's only a finite amount of world class players around and a lot of them don't want to move to the prem.

This week in europe will sum things up, imo Arsenal and Man. United will go out of CL and Man. City will finish in 2nd and run the risk of getting Barca or Munich in last 16 then.

Another point worth considering is the fascination now with 4-2-3-1 so now teams only want 3 forwards in their squad so when an Aguero gets injured the back up is very light. LVG is also guilty of some very bizarre squad building at Man. United.

Think back to the 90s and Man. United having four strikers on their books and how many games and trophies the two sub strikers would win for them. It simply isn't the trend nowadays and less goals mean the margin for error is higher.

The really world class players are few and far between. The three top European clubs have a monopoly on them. Yes we have the likes of Sanchez, Aguero, Ozil, Silva and Hazard but they are still a level below the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar etc.

Yes good points. Man City should really be a lot better but they don't have a great manager in my view. He should really have been replaced with Klopp in my view. Chelsea look very one dimensional under Mourninho. Everything goes through Hazard and if he's not performing then they struggle to break teams down. As well as not replacing Terry earlier. I think things also go in cycles.

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Bad? Villa apart, it's been the best Premier League season in ages.

Sorry yes I agree. Competitive is the word.

O.k why is the standard such as it is that it's likely two teams will be knocked out of CL groups this week and the other two will struggle to make even quarter finals? 

The top teams in this league really are poor compared to the likes of Barca, Real, Bayern and even sides like Juve. It is embarrasing. Are the PL midtable teams actually better than the ones in La liga or are the top teams in that league just much better? I'd go for the latter. Put Barca or Real in the Prem and they'd win it by at least 20 points 

You mean that it have been good entertainment to watch this season? Because the quality have not been good.

I suspect the Premier League have an owner problem which lead to a lot of football decisions being done by people who shouldn't be doing them. Its not just at Villa that this happens. This leads to a coaching and manager problem were a lot of them don't seem to be good enough or courageous enough to try new things. Almost all teams play the same formation.

Money ruins young players to easy this days. 

I like the idea of it being more competitive and I think Stoke have showed that there's now enough money in a mid table Premier league team to mean it's possible for them to take points off anyone. I don't really care about the Champions league, other than Villa ruining it, the current table is quite interesting I think.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

didnt really know which thread to post and its a story that everybody knows but another example of money too much too young in english football. 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/17/george-green-ossett-everton-oldham-tranmere?CMP=share_btn_tw

By the age of 16, having been paid a £45,000 signing-on fee to ward off interest from Tottenham, he was earning more than £4,000 a month and being tipped to break into the first team by the end of the season.

“I wasn’t going into training because I thought I was better than everyone else,” he says. “Being an idiot. Being an absolute idiot, if I’m honest. I wasn’t turning up sometimes because I wasn’t enjoying it and I thought I could do what I wanted. When I did go in, I was training absolute shite. When you’re playing at that standard you can’t do that. It’s a better game than that.”

There were even message-board rumours that he had checked himself into rehab.

“It was nothing to do with drink or drugs,” he says. “I suffered really badly when things started going wrong on the pitch. I wanted to take my life a few times. There were a couple of bad stints but now I’ve come out of them stronger,” he says. “I was expected to make the first team at 16 and then win an England call-up. But if you have one bad game then you start having people question you and asking why you aren’t progressing. It did all get too much because I was only doing the best that I could.”

Edited by gharperr

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen Norwich bid 10m for Andrea Ranocchia.

That probably sums up the Prem's financial strength....a promoted team can offer an attractive package to a regular of one of the Milan clubs.

I remember Ranocchia was seen as Italy's big defensive hope a few years back...hasn't quite panned out like that but he's still got a very good pedigree so interested to see if they get him

Â