Old desktops and laptops

PongRiddims

Afternoon all, I got a boatload of old laptops and units I've acquired over the years, nearly all of which are totally redundant to me now. Is there anything I can do with them these days or am I best just scrapping them completely? I did consider using one of the units as a media centre type thing, but don't really know what that would entail

Any Linux running XFCE as a window manager should run fine. Xubuntu for example.

All most people need is a browser. It depends what else you want to do with them.

Any Linux running XFCE as a window manager should run fine. Xubuntu for example.

All most people need is a browser. It depends what else you want to do with them.

I literally have no idea what that means Mr Limpid kind sir

Build a fort

I'd love a fort. A fort with Windows, is that still a fort?

It involves inserting a CD and booting. I don't know your level of expertise, but that's quite straightforward.

Out of interest, what kind of answers were you expecting? I'm not really sure what else you can use old computers for other than as computers. Steveo might have the right idea - turn them into art :)

Is it difficult to do if you've never done it before? Google makes it look complicated

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/to a computer and have a USB-stick memory ready.

Then just start the program, chose, for example, Xubuntu from the program options and the "14_04 live" version and let it install to the OS to the USB drive. Then boot the old computer from the USB drive. Either you can run the live version from the USB or you can install it to the harddrive on the computer. The latter is probably what you want if you intend to use the computer more than just testing it.

Edited by Tegis

Is it difficult to do if you've never done it before? Google makes it look complicated

Building a fort can be difficult.  Start out by deciding how big you want it and what shape.  It depends how many desktops and laptops you have as to how it will look and how many can fit inside.  You won't need a foundation although RIBA recommend putting the desktops closer to the bottom in the event of attack from rival clans (do you know anyone else with a similar amount of desktops and laptops?). 

Good luck with it and keep us up to date with pictures.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

If you have plans to buy any new equipment then they could be worth money

I had to purchase 120 laptops for a project at work and HP were offering £250 trade in on any old Windows XP PC towards any business laptop  .... and as luck would have it all my old desktops from our office rollout the other year were sitting in the server room gathering dust so we got £5000 off  the price (it was capped to 20 units boo hiss )

• Like 1

If you have plans to buy any new equipment then they could be worth money

I had to purchase 120 laptops for a project at work and HP were offering £250 trade in on any old Windows XP PC towards any business laptop  .... and as luck would have it all my old desktops from our office rollout the other year were sitting in the server room gathering dust so we got £5000 off  the price (it was capped to 20 units boo hiss )

Oh really? I was considering updating some tech actually so this is interesting, thanks mate

Right, with the release of the new Football Manager around the corner, I've decided I'm gonna use one of the tower boxes and create a mid range FM only machine, using whatever components I can salvage firstly, and spending a couple quid if needs be.

Spec Requirements for 2015 are...

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core, AMD Athlon

CPU Speed: Windows XP: 1.6GHz+ Windows V/7/8: 2.2GHz+

RAM: 1 GB

Video Card: NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel GMA X3100 - 128MB VRAM

Free Disk Space: 3 GB

I imagine the most important thing to get right would be the CPU, is this correct? How do I work out if my existing CPUs are up to scratch for this kind of Project?

Thanks friends

Right, with the release of the new Football Manager around the corner, I've decided I'm gonna use one of the tower boxes and create a mid range FM only machine, using whatever components I can salvage firstly, and spending a couple quid if needs be.

Video Card: NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel GMA X3100 - 128MB VRAM

I imagine the most important thing to get right would be the CPU, is this correct? How do I work out if my existing CPUs are up to scratch for this kind of Project?

Thanks friends

They would pretty much be the minimum requirements , whilst it doesnt need a good spec i would go towards a minimum of a dual core processor and 2gb of ram , otherwise it will be slow.

Thanks friends

They would pretty much be the minimum requirements , whilst it doesnt need a good spec i would go towards a minimum of a dual core processor and 2gb of ram , otherwise it will be slow.

Ok that makes sense, thanks mate. How can I work out what processors I have?

Thanks friends

Ok that makes sense, thanks mate. How can I work out what processors I have?

in your pc? Right click on my computer and select properties , should tell you your processor and ram

Â