SCG Tonight - Any Questions?

jackbauer24

The DOF role. I have been a strong believer that it should be in place whilst Sherwood is here.

I fear if we lose Benteke (which despite what people say is a possibility) we would have to rebuild and to do that rebuilding we are relying on someone who hasn't bought a player let alone rebuild a squad. Paddy Reilly might help with this but still think an appointment would've been better.

Of course this is all pretty pointless if Lerner sells the club sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

The DOF role. I have been a strong believer that it should be in place whilst Sherwood is here.

I fear if we lose Benteke (which despite what people say is a possibility) we would have to rebuild and to do that rebuilding we are relying on someone who hasn't bought a player let alone rebuild a squad. Paddy Reilly might help with this but still think an appointment would've been better.

Of course this is all pretty pointless if Lerner sells the club sooner rather than later.

Reilly will have a big input to signings and there's no proof that a DOF would be good at signing players either so it's a case of trusting Sherwood and hoping he's open to advice from the people in place.

Lerner needs to head or its another year of belt tightening by the sounds of it 

The impression given was that income was far more important than the owner's wealth so therefore that was the area we would focus on. He said if we could improve our sponsorship deals to be more on par with other clubs and in turn improve our league position, we'd find we grew exponentially and could compete higher and higher. He DIDN'T seem to suggest it was more of the same actually - although he didn't talk about budgets directly. What he did say is we under perform on the business side so we don't make as much as we should and no-one who just wants to make a quick buck would be interested as we can't provide that yet. 

• Like 1

We finished 17th, it's hardly the time to take a "chance" if key players leave.

we also took a chance on an unproven manager when we were practically relegated under Lambert and he saved us

Lerner needs to head or its another year of belt tightening by the sounds of it 

The impression given was that income was far more important than the owner's wealth so therefore that was the area we would focus on. He said if we could improve our sponsorship deals to be more on par with other clubs and in turn improve our league position, we'd find we grew exponentially and could compete higher and higher. He DIDN'T seem to suggest it was more of the same actually - although he didn't talk about budgets directly. What he did say is we under perform on the business side so we don't make as much as we should and no-one who just wants to make a quick buck would be interested as we can't provide that yet. 

Hes hardly going to say at the meeting or suggest anything negative ......I remember faulkner was deal on deal getting record sponsorship deals for the club .....yet we remained fighting relegation going on form it looks like more of the same spun up to sound positive ....I like TF but the proof will be in the pudding for next season 

I really hope that we sign proven quality players, couldn't give a crap about much else.  The links so far have been really bad and are all young unproven players except Adebayor.   Add to this that the likes of Cissokho and Senderos are not wanted and the alarm bells start ringing for me.  We need quality experienced players and we certainly can't afford to go down the young unproven route again as our luck has to run out if we keep gambling.  

Did he mention which other clubs? My issue is it does sound like a solid long term plan but the performances on the field are part of the reason sponsorship money is low at this club. I get moving higher up the table will bring in better sponsors but to do that you need investment ready.

Did he mention which other clubs? My issue is it does sound like a solid long term plan but the performances on the field are part of the reason sponsorship money is low at this club. I get moving higher up the table will bring in better sponsors but to do that you need investment ready.

I imagine for a host of reasons, not limited to disclosure and PR Spin, that he didn't mention specifics as regards commercial deals. But highlighting how badly we were performing and that we need to close that gap asap. He mentioned Spurs as being currently way ahead of us along with Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea in a commercial sense but we have to be best of the rest. He said globally no-one else cares about the other teams but due to our 'Englishness', our history, our unique name, our tradition we are important around the world despite our lowly position in recent years. 

He didn't directly mention whether funds would be increased but suggested some deals were now done and would be announced soon which were more in line with what we should be getting and that can only improve the ability we have to spend on improving the squad. Money isn't going to come from the Chairman because basically it can't - it can only come from improving revenue. So reading in to that, Fox (or Wajeratna more directly as it's his role) will impact on our spending power based on the amount of money they can bring in from sponsors and related revenues.

• Like 1

Oh and they're investing more and more in to infrastructure to keep players fitter, looking at science, making sure players don't keep injuring same areas, investing in youth abd again highlighted the experience Paddy Reilly brings with him. He said it was a case of getting all the best people in the right places. 

• Like 2

I imagine for a host of reasons, not limited to disclosure and PR Spin, that he didn't mention specifics as regards commercial deals. But highlighting how badly we were performing and that we need to close that gap asap. He mentioned Spurs as being currently way ahead of us along with Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea in a commercial sense but we have to be best of the rest. He said globally no-one else cares about the other teams but due to our 'Englishness', our history, our unique name, our tradition we are important around the world despite our lowly position in recent years. 

He didn't directly mention whether funds would be increased but suggested some deals were now done and would be announced soon which were more in line with what we should be getting and that can only improve the ability we have to spend on improving the squad. Money isn't going to come from the Chairman because basically it can't - it can only come from improving revenue. So reading in to that, Fox (or Wajeratna more directly as it's his role) will impact on our spending power based on the amount of money they can bring in from sponsors and related revenues.

Wow that's really worrying to read and we are going to struggle again next season if things don't change quickly. 

Any mention of why Sharewood hates Gil? ;)

Yeah there was.... he said Gil stole his sandwich at Bodymoor Heath and he hasn't yet forgiven him*

*may not have actually been said

• Like 3

Experience doesn't equal quality. I'm not sure why that is still perpetuated. The reason the 'young and hungry project' failed under Lambert is because he was a crap manager. Which was established beyond doubt when he did even worse this season despite having a far more experienced squad. The original policy itself wasn't flawed.

I'd agree with dudevillaisnice in that we should have a DOF to oversee the manager. It's good to know that Fox still intends to move towards that structure eventually but I don't see why it couldn't have been done now. Regardless of the manager, we shouldn't be in a situation where we are left to the mercy of their individual scouting ability. The transfer policy should be set from above.

• Like 1

Experience doesn't equal quality. I'm not sure why that is still perpetuated. The reason the 'young and hungry project' failed under Lambert is because he was a crap manager. Which was established beyond doubt when he did even worse this season despite having a far more experienced squad. The original policy itself wasn't flawed.

I'd agree with dudevillaisnice in that we should have a DOF to oversee the manager. It's good to know that Fox still intends to move towards that structure eventually but I don't see why it couldn't have been done now. Regardless of the manager, we shouldn't be in a situation where we are left to the mercy of their individual scouting ability. The transfer policy should be set from above.

Also could argue that young and hungry policy wasnt that bad and Lambert transfer business is actually what probably saves him from a lot worse abuse. He brought in Benteke, Okore, Bacuna and Westwood etc for small fees on what we could sell them on for

Also could argue that young and hungry policy wasnt that bad and Lambert transfer business is actually what probably saves him from a lot worse abuse. He brought in Benteke, Okore, Bacuna and Westwood etc for small fees on what we could sell them on for

Not the policy in theory but his execution of it was a failure. That's why he patheticly u-turned on it last summer. He made a few great value signings but we shouldn't forget the extent of the dross that made up the bulk of his dealings in his first two seasons. Or the calamitous 2013 summer window. No reason why that means Sherwood will follow in suit though.

Â