SCG Tonight - Any Questions?

jackbauer24

Lambert didnt have much choice about the type of player he signed as he could only offer peanuts for wages and was extremely limited in the amount of transfer money he had to spend considering the amount of players he had to bring in. Last summers window was him doing his best to add experience to the squad while working under even tighter restraints. Expect the same again this summer by the looks of things.

Lambert didnt have much choice about the type of player he signed as he could only offer peanuts for wages and was extremely limited in the amount of transfer money he had to spend considering the amount of players he had to bring in. Last summers window was him doing his best to add experience to the squad while working under even tighter restraints. Expect the same again this summer by the looks of things.

What looks of things?

We are getting new sponsors, if anything, there is more money for us to spend. By the looks of things, of course.

What looks of things?

We are getting new sponsors, if anything, there is more money for us to spend. By the looks of things, of course.

It would need to be a serious improvement on what we have been spending the past few years, we didn't even spend £10m last summer and a few million increase in sponsorship deals isn't going to push us onto where we need to be to avoid another year of struggle. We need an owner willing to put the money into the transfer kitty to push us on but Fox has said tonight that Lerner won't be doing so. Time will tell what the real truth is regarding our transfer funds but ye 'by the looks of things' it doesn't look good.

He said he needed time to assess Lambert but felt that he was doing a good job but then acknowledged the role was new to him and now Sherwood is in he realises how much was lacking before. Hindsight and all that.

Director of football is on back burner as Sherwood brings a lot of development knowledge with him that Lambert didn't have. However it is a model that Villa will have eventually and if done properly should only be a plus for the manager.

Hmm. Doesn't sit right with me.

Which bit? And how doesn't it sit right? Seems pretty straight forward answer to me.

Assessing is one thing...a 4 year contract weeks stepping though the door...hmmmmm

Did he mention which other clubs? My issue is it does sound like a solid long term plan but the performances on the field are part of the reason sponsorship money is low at this club. I get moving higher up the table will bring in better sponsors but to do that you need investment ready.

I imagine for a host of reasons, not limited to disclosure and PR Spin, that he didn't mention specifics as regards commercial deals. But highlighting how badly we were performing and that we need to close that gap asap. He mentioned Spurs as being currently way ahead of us along with Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea in a commercial sense but we have to be best of the rest. He said globally no-one else cares about the other teams but due to our 'Englishness', our history, our unique name, our tradition we are important around the world despite our lowly position in recent years. 

He didn't directly mention whether funds would be increased but suggested some deals were now done and would be announced soon which were more in line with what we should be getting and that can only improve the ability we have to spend on improving the squad. Money isn't going to come from the Chairman because basically it can't - it can only come from improving revenue. So reading in to that, Fox (or Wajeratna more directly as it's his role) will impact on our spending power based on the amount of money they can bring in from sponsors and related revenues.

Wow that's really worrying to read and we are going to struggle again next season if things don't change quickly. 

I'm not sure why this is worrying you Bunnski - owners spending is limited by income under the FFP rules, the more we earn, the more we're allowed to spend. Improving our revenues through sponsorship, ticket sales, merchandising or whatever gives us the ability to spend more and would potentially allow Lerner to invest more. It just seems common sense to me.

I guess it's in the reading of the line "Money isn't going to come from the Chairman because it can't" which you can either see as "because the rules won't allow it" or "because the Chairman doesn't want to put it in". I would definitely think that in the context of a meeting like the one last night it would be the former, not the latter.

I can't see anything here that says we won't spend - it says we're limited in what the rules allow us to do unless we increase our income and we're working to do that - that's a positive message surely?

• Like 4

....I can't see anything here that says we won't spend - it says we're limited in what the rules allow us to do unless we increase our income and we're working to do that - that's a positive message surely?

Ye my bad, had a few beers last night and overlooked the actual reason why Lerner can't put much money in.

• Like 1

..Assessing is one thing...a 4 year contract weeks stepping though the door...hmmmmm

Yeah giving him a 4 year contract that was offered by Lerner previously and was still on the table when Fox arrived which was signed 2 weeks later! Maybe Lambert realised Fox would sack him so took it!

He wouldn't confirm scarves plan for final but said we're a proper club and will do something great! He said he's not in slightest bit conflicted, Arsenal will want it, Villa need it! All the players know how big it is apart from Jack who just plays football and doesn't seem to notice!

:D

It wasn't an invite thing it was a first come first served thing. Any fan could've gone.

We used to get invited. You'd think they'd want VillaTalk to be interested. But it's become about what pie fillings should be available and nothing to do with football.

Have you contacted the club to ask,  surely constructive dialogue is a two way thing

What looks of things?

It would need to be a serious improvement on what we have been spending the past few years, we didn't even spend £10m last summer and a few million increase in sponsorship deals isn't going to push us onto where we need to be to avoid another year of struggle. We need an owner willing to put the money into the transfer kitty to push us on but Fox has said tonight that Lerner won't be doing so. Time will tell what the real truth is regarding our transfer funds but ye 'by the looks of things' it doesn't look good.

I think they basically increased the wage bill by a fair bit last year than spending another 10m, thing is we probably need to spend £25m on 5 £5m players.

We need an owner willing to put the money into the transfer kitty to push us

Then we need it to be a few years ago before FFP. An owner cannot put any more money in than Randy has already been doing. The ONLY way we can spend more is to bring more in, and cut costs elsewhere. How do people not grasp this yet. It's got nothing to do with Lerner.

We need an owner willing to put the money into the transfer kitty to push us

Then we need it to be a few years ago before FFP. An owner cannot put any more money in than Randy has already been doing. The ONLY way we can spend more is to bring more in, and cut costs elsewhere. How do people not grasp this yet. It's got nothing to do with Lerner.

Already explained why I was wrong in posting that, read the rest of the thread and you will find the answer. 

• Like 1

Oh please FFP is almost finished before it began ....the big clubs appealing that its unfair and the news that rules will be "relaxed" probably abolished soon enough .....bring in a rich owner invest properly in the team pay the fine have a decent level to build on for the future :D

• Like 1

Oh please FFP is almost finished before it began 

UEFA FFP =/= domestic FFP

This ^^^

It's not the UEFA one hurting us ( least for now ) its the Prem league one devised by the rich clubs that have closed the shop on owner investment.

But the UEFA ones were relaxed due to the expected success of certain legal challenges and now that has been set, there is no reason why the Premier League FFP rules cannot be challenged on the same basis.

But the UEFA ones were relaxed due to the expected success of certain legal challenges and now that has been set, there is no reason why the Premier League FFP rules cannot be challenged on the same basis.

They haven't been relaxed yet, and similarly I'm not fully sure a legal challenge would necessarily stand up given Germany as a precedent for it being VERY strict for membership in the league regarding finances and no lawsuits arising

Â