The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Lib Dem councillor in Teddington defects to the Labour Party in support of Corbyn. Isn't this meant to be the other way around?

don't really know exactly how councils work but if she defects shouldn't she have to be re-elected , presumably she was elected on Lib Dem policies rather than the Labour ones she is likely to now follow ?

No, you elect a person, not a party. Should she resign? yes probably morally but her constituents would be without an elected representative until next May as councils rarely have by elections. She'd hardly make much difference anyway, she will be the only Labour councillor there. At least if she stays the people get their full quota of representation

• Like 1

Lib Dem councillor in Teddington defects to the Labour Party in support of Corbyn. Isn't this meant to be the other way around?

don't really know exactly how councils work but if she defects shouldn't she have to be re-elected , presumably she was elected on Lib Dem policies rather than the Labour ones she is likely to now follow ?

Unfortunately there is no requirement for her to stand down and seek re-election. There could only be a by-election (and they can happen at any time) if she resigned as a councillor

Edited by Richard

Unfortunately there is no requirement for her to stand down and seek re-election. There could only be a by-election (and they can happen at any time) if she resigned as a councillor

Yes, I'll concede that Richards account is more accurate than mine, he's more the expert when it comes to councillors defecting from a party. He knows best

• Like 4

He's clearly not a real presenter but it doesn't stop the point of it being right though does it

But wasn't Nick Clegg's idea a bad policy?

Giving free hot meals to rich and poor alike seemed like a waste of money and many schools are just not equipped to do it.

I am not sure many schools would choose to spend the money that way, given the choice.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

He's clearly not a real presenter but it doesn't stop the point of it being right though does it

Giving free hot meals to rich and poor alike seemed like a waste of money and many schools are just not equipped to do it.

I am not sure many schools would choose to spend the money that way, given the choice.

quite right ,  the rich kids parents  pay far more tax and should thus get better meals than the poor kids  ... or have I confused the policy

So is Britain more politically polarized than, say, three years ago? This is what I seem to reading a lot with the demise of Milliband. Are third way politics totally not fash, and it's one extreme or the other?

I wouldn't let VillaTalk's disproportionate amount of lefties , Welsh  and lazy students cloud your judgement  ..Britain is as Tory as it's always been

• Like 1

So is Britain more politically polarized than, say, three years ago? This is what I seem to reading a lot with the demise of Milliband. Are third way politics totally not fash, and it's one extreme or the other?

I wouldn't let VillaTalk's disproportionate amount of lefties , Welsh  and lazy students cloud your judgement  ..Britain is as Tory as it's always been

Indeed - just about a quarter Tory at most as at May 2015. :)

But are the policies farther apart than usual? Is there a more divisive mood, or is it just you? Or is it plus ça change, etc etc.?

Edited by Plastic Man

Having money does not guarantee that the more well off parents actually feed their children correctly. The policy was meant to give every child a healthy meal not just the one's who parents care enough 

• Like 2

Having money does not guarantee that the more well off parents actually feed their children correctly. The policy was meant to give every child a healthy meal not just the one's who parents care enough 

Hey, that's weird. I'm being misquoted. I didn't say that!

Indeed - just about a quarter Tory at most as at May 2015. :)

meh ... plus all those that voted Labour .. it's only the SNP that aren't Tory ..and lets be honest we don't care about what them foreigners say

Â