Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Aston Villa are keen on Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic but will only be able to land him for a cut-price fee.

The claret and blues have registered an interest in the 6ft 6ins ace as the hunt for a No.1 to replace either Brad Guzan or Shay Given continues.

Boss Tim Sherwood is determined to bring in a new stopper and would love the big Bosnian on board.

Financial restrictions are thwarting his pursuit, though, as Villa are simply not prepared to pay the £10million asking price set by the Potters.

Champions Chelsea are also in for Begovic and will have no issues stumping up the cash, but the 28-year-old is not interested in being an understudy.

At Villa he would be the guaranteed first-choice and a huge coup for Sherwood as he begins his transformation.

Stoke must lower their valuation, though, if Villa are to have any joy in tempting him away.

Wages would not be an issue as the club are willing to spend more in that department this term. If there is a stumbling block it would be the initial outlay.

Begovic would be an ideal signing for Villa and show a real statement of intent.

He is expected to leave the Britannia Stadium this summer after five-and-a-half years at the club.

His family are settled in the area and moving to the West Midlands would not be too much of a change from his north Staffordshire home.

Whether he would see a move to a club, that has struggled against relegation for the past four seasons, as progression, is uncertain.

Sources close to the proven Premier League performer say he is keeping his options open and that a club like Villa would appeal.

Sherwood and director of recruitment Paddy Reilly are not yet ruling out any other options but remain focused on recruiting a new addition before the start of the season.

At present Given is the club’s No.1 and he said recently that he was hoping push on as first-choice next term.

“The FA Cup run gave me a few games if nothing else,” he said.

“I’ve been working hard behind the scenes and a lot of people wouldn’t see that, you know on the training pitch and in the gym and different things.

“I was just hoping for the opportunity really and thankfully in the FA Cup the run has helped me to show some people that I’m still fit, still able to play I think and I’ve done well in some of the games as well so it’s been a boost for me personally.

“I want to keep pushing Brad all the way.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-not-meet-stoke-9529159

That should be that.

Sounds a bit like how Liverpool have played their hand in their plan to sign Benteke for less than his release clause from us. :blush:

I hope this talk of "financial restrictions" is a cunning plan to get clubs to agree a lower figure before we tell everyone about our new mega bucks owner.

If the deal is to be done we will need to do it now before someone else comes in for him and Bournemouth have shown today that £10m is not an unreasonable asking price for a player of this quality. Or are we thinking Stoke might do a buy one get one free deal with Begovic & N'Zonzi? ;)   

I doubt many people would accept stats as proof anyway . . . I linked an article where some guy had measured several different metrics and concluded that Guzan was one of the bottom seven or eight keepers last season on this thread, a couple of days ago, and people just disagreed with it anyway. Which is fair enough. Stats are rarely definitive, you can argue about datasets as much as anything else. But as fans we're not great at accepting that our judgements are coloured by things other than statistical evidence, when they absolutely are. 

• Like 2

I like Guzan. I think he is an ok keeper but I have no confidence in him. So how must his defenders feel?

because of one out and out mistake and some occasionally dodgy distribution

you must have no confidence in 90% of the team then

Edited by VillanousOne

We need a new Keeper. Guzan IMO was one of the bottom 5 of PL keepers last year.

based on what?

comments like that need stats and proof to back them up

It's classic 'out of the team so we must hate them' scenario

Based on his opinion?

As i said absolute statements like that need more justification, and that is MY OPINION.

A lot of anti-Guzan opinion that has only reared up since he was dropped. Before that the only real criticism is that his distribution was crap sometimes. Even the 'poor season' comments don't seem to be based on any stats or facts.

I'm not saying he hasn't had a bad season either, just would like to see the evidence that says that.

Gil was the greatest thing since Mellberg's beard until he was dropped, then suddenly he was 'simply not good enough.'

Sinclair was a bargain buy till he got injured came back and had a crap game vs Swansea, now most mooted attacking option 'is better than Sinclair.'

Again, Gil might turn out to be pants, same with Sinclair but it feels like too many people on here swing wildly in the breeze of whatever seems to be the vogue at the time.

Edited by VillanousOne

I like Guzan. I think he is an ok keeper but I have no confidence in him. So how must his defenders feel?

If you read my other posts you will see that is the case. Apart from 3/4 players I honestly couldn't care if we sold the rest.

As for Guzan I'm not saying I want him sold and that I don't rate him. I would be fine if he was our keeper next season. But I also wouldn't be that fussed if we sold him and it's nothing to do with the Man City game.

I am starting to get properly angry at these types of comments. Guzan had one poor match! ONE! Does anyone remember the season where Guzan and Benteke jointly kept us in the league? He was our player of the season!

A keeper doesn't go from being amazing to awful just like that. Every player hits a rough patch. Guzan didn't hit a rough patch for 2 and half years! That is pretty damn consistent. Guzan is one of the longest serving members of this club. When I think of Villa, Guzan and Gabby spring to mind because they are Villa through and through.

Guzan is nothing but class on and off the pitch. He regularly gives back to the community and represents us so positively. We need to show a bit more faith in Guzan. He stuck by the club for nearly a decade, and deserves the number one spot for everything he has done in the past 3 seasons. He is an excellent keeper who we are writing off because of one match.

Wow chill out. I wasn't even thinking of the man city game. I was talking about his all round game in general. He is a great shot stopper and has balls. But as a commanding figure he is not amazing. That my opinion and it has nothing to with City game. I don't base opinions on one game. So don't get angry mate. Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Why are so many people convinced that the reason so many don't rate Guzan particularly highly is because of one match? Seems a bit like because they have the opposite opinion it must be reactionary and poorly informed.

• Like 1

I am starting to get properly angry at these types of comments. Guzan had one poor match! ONE! Does anyone remember the season where Guzan and Benteke jointly kept us in the league? He was our player of the season!

A keeper doesn't go from being amazing to awful just like that. Every player hits a rough patch. Guzan didn't hit a rough patch for 2 and half years! That is pretty damn consistent. Guzan is one of the longest serving members of this club. When I think of Villa, Guzan and Gabby spring to mind because they are Villa through and through.

Guzan is nothing but class on and off the pitch. He regularly gives back to the community and represents us so positively. We need to show a bit more faith in Guzan. He stuck by the club for nearly a decade, and deserves the number one spot for everything he has done in the past 3 seasons. He is an excellent keeper who we are writing off because of one match.

Wow chill out. I wasn't even thinking of the man city game. I was talking about his all round game in general. He is a great shot stopper and has balls. But as a commanding figure he is not amazing. That my opinion and it has nothing to with City game. I don't base opinions on one game. So don't get angry mate.

Well by your logic, he can get angry if he wants to get angry as that's his opinion

• Like 1

Wow chill out. I wasn't even thinking of the man city game. I was talking about his all round game in general. He is a great shot stopper and has balls. But as a commanding figure he is not amazing. That my opinion and it has nothing to with City game. I don't base opinions on one game. So don't get angry mate.

Well by your logic, he can get angry if he wants to get angry as that's his opinion

Ummm ok. I would rather he not get angry based on my comment but if he wishes too then of course he may.

Why are so many people convinced that the reason so many don't rate Guzan particularly highly is because of one match? Seems a bit like because they have the opposite opinion it must be reactionary and poorly informed.

Because he was dropped following one mistake in one match.

No-one was particularly criticising him before that. Maybe people thought he was always not good enough, but that was certainly a trigger to people vocalising it.

No-one was particularly criticising him before that. Maybe people thought he was always not good enough, but that was certainly a trigger to people vocalising it.

Not true I'm afraid. I was involved in plenty of Guzan debates before the City game.

If you read my other posts you will see that is the case. Apart from 3/4 players I honestly couldn't care if we sold the rest.

As for Guzan I'm not saying I want him sold and that I don't rate him. I would be fine if he was our keeper next season. But I also wouldn't be that fussed if we sold him and it's nothing to do with the Man City game.

Ok fair play. I feel much the same, although I do kinda feel Guzan doesn't really deserve the criticism he is getting right now and a keeper is not the priority, well not at 10 mil anyway, whilst we are still spanking wages up the wall on Steer and Given.

Not true I'm afraid. I was involved in plenty of Guzan debates before the City game.

Ok, so fair enough, but what are you saying are his faults? Poor distribution? Shot Stopping, lack of leadership?

the defence in front of him has been a shambles and changes ever 4-5 games.

and if you've always felt he was poor then fair enough, but the majority on here were always very pro-Guzan.

for the record my feeling is he saves the hard shots at distance but is poor at close range shots, he has most of the qualities Given doesn't have and vice versa.

Ok, so fair enough, but what are you saying are his faults? Poor distribution? Shot Stopping, lack of leadership?

the defence in front of him has been a shambles and changes ever 4-5 games.

and if you've always felt he was poor then fair enough, but the majority on here were always very pro-Guzan.

for the record my feeling is he saves the hard shots at distance but is poor at close range shots, he has most of the qualities Given doesn't have and vice versa.

Basically I feel that he has been in continuous decline for the past 18 months, at least. My view is that he is just pretty nondescript in most aspects of his game. What actually does he do well nowadays? Not a strong shot-stopper. Nor an organiser. Even his claiming ability isn't particularly standout anymore. Sure, he isn't a liability but that's about all I can say for him. He was brilliant in 2012/13, no doubt, but it was one season - one which continues to dogmatise perception in my opinion.

There are a few positions of greater priority but as I've said for a while, I believe we can upgrade on Guzan. To reiterate, he isn't terrible but his contribution isn't significant enough. A superior keeper can win the team more points. Attempting to excuse Guzan by placing blame on the defence doesn't cut it either given that his best form came playing behind the worst defensive unit in our history, or worst in the Premier League era certainly.

I would say it pleases me that Sherwood seems to see it as I do but then I'm not sure whether his problem is more with Guzan from a mental POV. As in viewing him as one of the 'losers', which I'm not sure I'd agree with if so. Either way, hopefully he gets it right with his replacement.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2