2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Seriously if West Brom are sold for 150 mill, we are surely worth 250+.... If I were Lerner I'd be very very tempted to hold tight for now, walk away from any operational duties, let Fox, Sherwood and co do their jobs for a season or 2 and look at selling in a few years time. Right now he is pretty much a distressed seller having made his intention to sell very public, we've just narrowly avoid relegation, have one of worse squads in recent memory etc..

Let's say things go well with Sherwood and we make some more astute signings, fast forward 2 years we could be finishing in the top half of the league with the club in way better health, he might even be able to recoup his entire investment and some from a sale under those conditions.

Or more likely ,the club continues in the same way as the last 4 years and we finally succumb to relegation and his investment takes another massive hit.

I'm worried that we will end up with no new owner and a search for a new chairmen.

Wouldn't be at all surprised.

If that is case, then what on earth is in our books which makes a potential owner not want to bid for us?

maybe Randy secretly owns Birmingham City  :detect:

How on earth are we worth more than 100m more than West Brom.

infrastructure

stadium

Existing sponsorship deals

Estimated value of playing staff which would be deemed as assets

If China's richest man buys baggies for £150m and we end up not being sold or get some shitty end of the stick then something mind boggling has gone on

• Like 1

infrastructure

stadium

Valuing a football club (privately held) would be insanely complex and somewhat subjective, but using a few super crude methods yeah I'd say if West Brom are valued at 150m we should be worth at least 200-250 if not more.

Using the most basic possible valuation of x2 revenue, using last seasons revenue numbers West Brom are worth 173m we are worth 222m, around 50m more.

Factor in current circumstances, we are in a epic slump, just had our worse finish in PL history, whereas West Brom are flying high in their most successful period for many a year, so I'd say we have significant upside to increase revenue quickly if / when performances improve, West Brom on the other hand will have to work a lot harder to grow revenues.

Then try to value tangible assets like stadium, training complex / properties etc, try to value intangibles like respective brands, supporter base, global profile, which are all in our favour.

Of course that's all ultra simplistic and doesn't take into account the cost bases, debt levels, and current financial states, which I'm sure both favour the Baggies.

Ultimately a business is worth what the market will pay, and Peace has done a pretty amazing job with West Brom, seems like he is keen to get out at the top though, whereas we have been run into the ground and Lerner is basically trying to cut his loses.......

infrastructure

stadium

Existing sponsorship deals

Estimated value of playing staff which would be deemed as assets

If China's richest man buys baggies for £150m and we end up not being sold or get some shitty end of the stick then something mind boggling has gone on

Its certainly a big call by Randy if thats the case ...

One think I don't understand is say if we don't get sold and look for a new chairman. What exactly will this new chairman be doing that Fox isn't doing already?

I understood it as Lerner will no longer be involved and will hand over responsibly to Fox. But I think it's irrelevant anyway, Lerner only made that statement because he knew a deal was done.

That guy ain't never giving full power to anyway while still owns the club.

I may be way off the mark but I honestly believe the guy as no idea whatsoever what football is about. At the same time he still wants to micro manage and make a lot of decisions. It's crazy!

I think you're well off the mark. I don't believe for one second that a takeover was in place at the time that Fox was appointed. That's just silly.

I didn't say at the time Fox was appointed. I said at the time Lerner said he would step down as chairman if a takeover wasn't completed this summer.

One think I don't understand is say if we don't get sold and look for a new chairman. What exactly will this new chairman be doing that Fox isn't doing already?

I understood it as Lerner will no longer be involved and will hand over responsibly to Fox. But I think it's irrelevant anyway, Lerner only made that statement because he knew a deal was done.

That guy ain't never giving full power to anyway while still owns the club.

I may be way off the mark but I honestly believe the guy as no idea whatsoever what football is about. At the same time he still wants to micro manage and make a lot of decisions. It's crazy!

I think you're well off the mark. I don't believe for one second that a takeover was in place at the time that Fox was appointed. That's just silly.
It absolutely wasn't you are right.

Where did I say it was in that post?

Seriously if West Brom are sold for 150 mill, we are surely worth 250+.... If I were Lerner I'd be very very tempted to hold tight for now, walk away from any operational duties, let Fox, Sherwood and co do their jobs for a season or 2 and look at selling in a few years time. Right now he is pretty much a distressed seller having made his intention to sell very public, we've just narrowly avoid relegation, have one of worse squads in recent memory etc..

Let's say things go well with Sherwood and we make some more astute signings, fast forward 2 years we could be finishing in the top half of the league with the club in way better health, he might even be able to recoup his entire investment and some from a sale under those conditions.

Or more likely ,the club continues in the same way as the last 4 years and we finally succumb to relegation and his investment takes another massive hit.

Exactly. He needs to sell now damn it!

The article posted a few pages back partly about Dalian Wanda buying Albion has changed. It still mentions Dalian Wanda but it no longer says that they've been in talk with Peace for the last four months. I guess that could be because they've realised it's not true or they've been told off for the leaking the name.

infrastructure

stadium

Valuing a football club (privately held) would be insanely complex and somewhat subjective, but using a few super crude methods yeah I'd say if West Brom are valued at 150m we should be worth at least 200-250 if not more.

Using the most basic possible valuation of x2 revenue, using last seasons revenue numbers West Brom are worth 173m we are worth 222m, around 50m more.

Factor in current circumstances, we are in a epic slump, just had our worse finish in PL history, whereas West Brom are flying high in their most successful period for many a year, so I'd say we have significant upside to increase revenue quickly if / when performances improve, West Brom on the other hand will have to work a lot harder to grow revenues.

Then try to value tangible assets like stadium, training complex / properties etc, try to value intangibles like respective brands, supporter base, global profile, which are all in our favour.

Of course that's all ultra simplistic and doesn't take into account the cost bases, debt levels, and current financial states, which I'm sure both favour the Baggies.

Ultimately a business is worth what the market will pay, and Peace has done a pretty amazing job with West Brom, seems like he is keen to get out at the top though, whereas we have been run into the ground and Lerner is basically trying to cut his loses.......

Sorry but you can't just go whacking millions onto value because we're in a slump or they are on a bit of wave.

You've rightly highlighted that we are more valuable with sensible figures. There is no point in getting ahead of ourselves.

The way things have gone over the last few years, our fortunes are currently more likely to go the wrong way than the right way atm. A couple of links to supposedly decent players doesn't turn this mess around, just yet.

I'd say it's more just for those fans that moan Lerner doesn't attend games. They'd have someone to moan at if things don't go well. May aswell give it Doug!!

Imagine if lerner, having decided to sell, has just passed up on one of the richest people in the world and sent him straight to our now hated neighbours. Would you put it past him when he hired our last arch rivals manager after he had just managed to get them relegated? I'm sure some at the time thought he knew what he was doing, turns out he didn't though did he. Imagine if by September we have no new owner, no benteke,delph or vlaar and the bsggies are owned by a world power! Surely Lerner isn't going to do that.is he? And before anyone cites the money we are spending Alan Nixon has already said he believed it's coming from the same of some of the current squad!

Imagine if lerner, having decided to sell, has just passed up on one of the richest people in the world and sent him straight to our now hated neighbours. Would you put it past him when he hired our last arch rivals manager after he had just managed to get them relegated? I'm sure some at the time thought he knew what he was doing, turns out he didn't though did he. Imagine if by September we have no new owner, no benteke,delph or vlaar and the bsggies are owned by a world power! Surely Lerner isn't going to do that.is he? And before anyone cites the money we are spending Alan Nixon has already said he believed it's coming from the same of some of the current squad!

some imagination you have

Spurs are looking for a billion. How are they 7x more than us? The new TV deal makes Randys valuation very low. A new owner could keep operating costs the same for the next 3/4 years and have all t heir money back in profit. Compared to Albion fan base wise we are more than twice as big according to Fox we are the 9th most watched team in the world or something like that. We are easily worth double Albions price.

Maybe he's passed on them because they don't have the best intentions for villa? Don't they also own other teams? Do we really want to be part of a cluster of clubs withour 100% care from the owner. Also, how many far east owners have actually worked?

Guys at Leicester have done ok, but blues, qpr, Cardiff - all clubs who perhaps thought they were going to be made yet a total and utter arse was made of it without exception.

Edited by Woodytom

Spurs are looking for a billion. How are they 7x more than us? The new TV deal makes Randys valuation very low. A new owner could keep operating costs the same for the next 3/4 years and have all t heir money back in profit. Compared to Albion fan base wise we are more than twice as big according to Fox we are the 9th most watched team in the world or something like that. We are easily worth double Albions price.

As for spurs - they're not.

As for fox - I find that claim very very hard to believe.

Â