Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

Bq2GepnIMAELY7q.png

World GDP split equally into two portions.

Don't understand that; could you give a link to the source?

Thanks!

The GDP of the countries in blue is equal to the GDP of the countries in red.

Doesn't France have a higher GDP than the UK?

Quite possibly. But that's got nothing to do with the map. 

Slightly misleading though, you have to say. The implication made is that the world is divided into the "haves" (blue) and the relative "have-nots," (red) so one would assume, based on that map, that Britain has a higher GDP than France (especially when you consider that the other countries that are in blue are all among the 5 largest economies in the world).

Slightly misleading though, you have to say. The implication made is that the world is divided into the "haves" (blue) and the relative "have-nots," (red) so one would assume, based on that map, that Britain has a higher GDP than France (especially when you consider that the other countries that are in blue are all among the 5 largest economies in the world).

False inference. The map states that the two colours balance out, equal collective GDPs.

If you swapped France for Britain, its higher GDP would make the blue greater than the red, not equal. 

I expect there are other combinations that would produce a similar result. 

• Like 2

False inference. The map states that the two colours balance out, equal collective GDPs.

If you swapped France for Britain, its higher GDP would make the blue greater than the red, not equal. 

I expect there are other combinations that would produce a similar result. 

Oh, I'm not saying it's an accurate inference, not at all.

But I think most people would construe it that way.

It's not haves and have nots in the way you're reading it... it's showing inequality in distribution of wealth, but in terms of landmass. The total of the blue countries GDP are worth the same as the total of the red countries, despite being maybe only 10% of the land.

• Like 1

Again, I'm not reading it that way, I'm just saying that people might do so.

If your not reading it that way, why do you assume others might do? Judging by the responses id say it's bang on.

edit: That post looks looks a bit arsey, it's not meant to be :)

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 2

Again, I'm not reading it that way, I'm just saying that people might do so.

If your not reading it that way, why do you assume others might do? Judging by the responses id say it's bang on.

edit: That post looks looks a bit arsey, it's not meant to be :)

Because 4 of the other 5 countries that are in blue all happen to be the 4 largest economies in the world. Someone less informed would have extrapolated and come to the conclusion that Britain, not France, is the world's 5th largest economy.

• Like 1

Bq2GepnIMAELY7q.png

Thanks!

I get it, it shows how the top 5 biggest economies are equal to the rest put together.

Like others, I could not understand why the UK was included rather than France, which has a slightly bigger GDP than the UK.

Old British map, maybe?  :)

Bq2GepnIMAELY7q.png

Thanks!

I get it, it shows how the top 5 biggest economies are equal to the rest put together.

Like others, I could not understand why the UK was included rather than France, which has a slightly bigger GDP than the UK.

Old British map, maybe?  :)

See what I mean?

• Like 2

Â