Smoking ban.

fergie69

Smoking ban  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking ban

• Looking forward to a smoke free atmosphere
    • I want to keep smoking stuff the none smokers

I vaguely recall Esther Rantzen having a campaign about something similar many years ago on 'That's Life'. Are they basically little tea bags full of tobacco that you suck?

this product is legal in the EU, even it is virtually the same as the illegal snus

No way. Might be sharing a few chemicals, but they are nothing alike.

In terms of health risks, I would believe they are. Never tried sniffing snuff, but I would think the effect is somewhat similar to snus.

Health risks i wouldnt know. TBH ive never heard of any special health risks with snus except jaw structure collapsing. Sniff does not have the same effect in any way. Atleast not the stuff ive tried.

I vaguely recall Esther Rantzen having a campaign about something similar many years ago on 'That's Life'. Are they basically little tea bags full of tobacco that you suck?

Yep. Though its much better in loose weight. Or without tee bags :P

this product is legal in the EU, even it is virtually the same as the illegal snus

No way. Might be sharing a few chemicals, but they are nothing alike.

In terms of health risks, I would believe they are. Never tried sniffing snuff, but I would think the effect is somewhat similar to snus.

Health risks i wouldnt know. TBH ive never heard of any special health risks with snus except jaw structure collapsing. Sniff does not have the same effect in any way. Atleast not the stuff ive tried.

You may be right about the effects of snuff, Tarj. Never tried it myself, just thought that the idea was to let the nicotine to kick in.

Health risks connected to snus is an interesting discussion with no definitive answers yet. It is widely accepted as far less damaging than cigarettes, though, and no increased risks of cancer have been proven so far. If it were up to me, smokers would be adviced by health authorities to switch to snus.

Yep. Though its much better in loose weight. Or without tee bags :P

I thought tea-bagging was illegal...

TBH ive never heard of any special health risks with snus except jaw structure collapsing

Oh well, if THAT'S all....

:shock:

No real effects on other people, then. Except they might find your speech a little indistinct.

Under the new law landlords could be given incentives to go smoke-free, then make the choice. If what the majority on here are saying is true then most landlords would do that, because the majority of people want smoke-free pubs.

A few pubs inevitably wouldn't go smoke-free, leaving the smokers free to puff away and only poison each other.

Everyone is happy, we still have an adult choice, bob's yer uncle.

If people are going to argue that landlords would not go smoke-free given the choice, then there must be very good reasons for that.

I think in principle the idea of separate smoking premises sounds reasonable. Personally, I'd rather have the smokers shut away in premises of their own, than have them standing in a smoky huddle around the doorway or monopolising the outside seats.

If we were starting from a level playing field, it might work.

But we're not. We're starting from a position where pubs see smoking as the status quo, where they have financial incentives to sell fags, where landlords are fearful that if they introduce a no-smoking rule by choice, they will lose some customers who they know and speak to, with the uncertain prospect of other, as yet unknown people replacing them.

In that situation, I can see why most of them will opt for what they see as the safe option of allowing smoking.

After a couple of years of being smoke-free, I'd be happy to see an option introduced of becoming a smoking premises. That would probably involve having to install effective ventilation, taking steps to protect the staff (yes, even the ones who say they don't mind, same as requiring safety equipment in any other of the settings where we have had to require it), and probably some licensing or planning regulation to preserve some kind of balance. That might involve setting a maximum ratio of smoking to non-smoking premises, and probably also some kind of taxation to remove any financial incentive to become a smoking area.

Something like that might have the effect of creating more choice, without just lapsing into the default position we've had up till now. It might even help reinforce the idea that smoking really is seriously intrusive and unpleasant to a lot of people, and that smokers should be made to practice their habit in a way which recognises this and pays more than lip service to it.

TBH ive never heard of any special health risks with snus except jaw structure collapsing

Oh well, if THAT'S all....

:shock:

It's not quite as dramatic as that, I can assure you. My father, and plenty of other people I know, have been doing snus for donkey's years and have only suffered temporary and very slight irritation to the gums.

Michelsen wrote:- Asthma, allergies etc? If you suffer from asthma, you can not work in a room full of cigarette smoke. Effectively, you are excluded from any room full of smoke.

simple answer, dont get as job in a place where tha asthma/ allergies can become an issue, i'm alergic to getting eaten by crocodiles, therfore i am not a crocodile keeper at the zoo, i have not gone out to get all crocodiles banned though, cos i think that if they stay away from me and i stay away from them then my allergy will not be a problem

simple answer, dont get as job in a place where tha asthma/ allergies can become an issue

Quite a lot of places, then, if smoking in public rooms should still be allowed. It's not the people who are ill who should have to go wait outside or go somewhere else - it's the people who have chosen to slowly kill themselves off.

i'm alergic to getting eaten by crocodiles, therfore i am not a crocodile keeper at the zoo, i have not gone out to get all crocodiles banned though, cos i think that if they stay away from me and i stay away from them then my allergy will not be a problem

No, you are not allergic to getting eaten by crocodiles, and no offense but OH MY GOD that is a poor analogy :roll:

I see this thread is still rumbling on. The smokers really have no defence here, it's a filthy dirty habit which effects other people. The ban on smoking in public places is ok with me, and I'm a smoker. Hell it may even help me and others like me give up, so it's a win win situation AFAIC.

simple answer, dont get as job in a place where tha asthma/ allergies can become an issue

Quite a lot of places, then, if smoking in public rooms should still be allowed. It's not the people who are ill who should have to go wait outside or go somewhere else - it's the people who have chosen to slowly kill themselves off.

i'm alergic to getting eaten by crocodiles, therfore i am not a crocodile keeper at the zoo, i have not gone out to get all crocodiles banned though, cos i think that if they stay away from me and i stay away from them then my allergy will not be a problem

No, you are not allergic to getting eaten by crocodiles, and no offense but OH MY GOD that is a poor analogy :roll:

isnt getting eaten by a crocodile bad for you then?

You haven't really got this analogy thing, have you?

skoal bandits

That's them! Have been trying to remember that all day, cheers Bicks!

You haven't really got this analogy thing, have you?

i have got the analogy thing, but i have resorted to extracting the urine, as any serious comments made for pro smoking are shot down with, " at least my clothes dont smell when i get back from the pub" or "get the cancer addicts away from me ....", and i cant compete with that highbrow level of reply

i have got the analogy thing, but i have resorted to extracting the urine, as any serious comments made for pro smoking are shot down with, " at least my clothes dont smell when i get back from the pub" or "get the cancer addicts away from me ....", and i cant compete with that highbrow level of reply

Nothing wrong with taking the piss.

My point was simply that your comparison was neither a good analogy, nor something which took the piss out of the opposing argument.

I'm sure there's a convincing point struggling to come out there, but I just don't see it yet. Maybe I'm missing something.

It certainly is, but I think you need to look up allergies on wikipedia if you think that analogy of yours is a good comparison to asthma and working in rooms full of cigarette smoke.

Â