NBA 2014-15

Folski

The NBA, yes.  But basketball is at least somewhat redeemed by the NCAA tournament.

To elaborate:

Basketball has its problem that, in general, the first half/three-quarters/seven-eighths of a game has a distressing tendency to not really matter, compounded by being, like baseball and gridiron, fundamentally a large number of Bernoulli trials, so the better team generally wins the game.  The NBA makes it worse by having 82 games to eliminate just under half the teams and then playing long playoff series which limit the ability of underdogs to pull upsets.  It's really the only sport that has all three problems.

Baseball is the epitome of a large number of Bernoulli trials, but the combination of pitching rotations, the batting order, and being low-scoring allows for some measure of randomness.  The limited schedule for gridiron (despite being Bernoulli) allows for randomness.  Ice hockey (like football) isn't really Bernoulli.  NCAA basketball at least takes from gridiron the limited number of games and a single-elimination postseason.

Edited by leviramsey

#wethenorth

Was in Toronto during the beginning of the Heat series. Raptors was a much bigger deal there than I thought. It is only because they are winning a cynical Leafs-fan said to me. Guess he is right, if the hockey team were winning Raptors wouldn't get so much coverage. This is the first time I check for the NBA results. 

Seems like the crowd there has gotten pretty loud. It probably is because they're winning, coupled with he whole Drake promotional thing he's got going on with them.

I've actually been hooked on these playoffs, bought league pass and been watching the full games back the next day. Was a great game to watch in OKC the other night. A guy even got kicked in the bollocks for good measure.

Edited by abdomlahor

4 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

#wethenorth

Was in Toronto during the beginning of the Heat series. Raptors was a much bigger deal there than I thought. It is only because they are winning a cynical Leafs-fan said to me. Guess he is right, if the hockey team were winning Raptors wouldn't get so much coverage. This is the first time I check for the NBA results. 

Nah we're pretty passionate about basketball in Toronto especially in the inner city and always have been. I mean it does help that the Raptors are the only winning team in the city (the Blue Jays got a bit of hype last season though), but it's also the fact that we're making history with every game at this point. Most of us have witnessed the entire Raptors history so we know where we came from and it's pretty damn exciting to be mixing it up in the conference finals after 20 years of mostly pain.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Nah we're pretty passionate about basketball in Toronto especially in the inner city and always have been. I mean it does help that the Raptors are the only winning team in the city (the Blue Jays got a bit of hype last season though), but it's also the fact that we're making history with every game at this point. Most of us have witnessed the entire Raptors history so we know where we came from and it's pretty damn exciting to be mixing it up in the conference finals after 20 years of mostly pain.

My mistake to listen to one guy in a bar ;)

Speaking of the Blue Jays; I started the trip out in western Canada and it did feel like they were more Canada's team than was the case with the Raptors. I might be wrong about that one to. Canada is a beautiful country. Im right on that one.

Edited by NoelVilla
  • Like 1

Russell Westbrook will be the finals MVP if he continues his current form. As good a performance as I've seen all season on Tuesday night. If he does it again tonight it could be bye bye Warriors 

Anderson Varejao the first player to play for both finalists in the same season. Is it like baseball where if a team wins the Finals even players who no longer play for the team, so long as they played that season, can get a ring? If so, given his respect in the Cavs organisation, he's going to get a ring either way.

• 3 weeks later...

The block was insane myself and my 16 year old brother stayed up to watch and both of us jumped out of our chair at the block. LBJ just came from nowhere, delighted for them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Kevin Durant signs with the Warriors :o 

Thought he'd stay with OKC for another season at least. Will be interesting to see how the Warriors get it to work, after all there is only one ball.

Â