Paul Lambert

limpid

The final quarter? Injury to our only reliable goal scorer (who is also one of our most creative players). It's as simple as that.

he was playing for 14 of the 24 games where our results plummeted, so while it is a factor, I dont think it is 'as simple as that'.wish it was !!

Also I wouldn't want to think we could only get results with one particular player in the side.

The last few pages all seem to be arguing about varying degrees of shitness.  I don't really care who's the worst out of McLeish or Lambert, or which season was the most miserable because of points or league position.  Both managers are terrible, all three seasons they presided over were woeful, and neither man is good enough to be Villa boss.

thats what i call " in a nutshell"

Interestingly if you take, near enough, his first quarter and last quarter of games since joining, he got 28 points and a Goal Difference of -43 (!!!!!)...enough to drop like a stone !!

However if you take the middle two quarters he got 48 points and a Goal Diff of -3.....enough for about 10th.

The stats (sorry to bring actual facts into it again !) actually do show we were improving.but we collapsed from December  - not March as someone said earlier - it is this collapse which concerns me.

The 1st Quartr, he had only just took over.

The next 2 quarters , improving all the time, if slowly.

The final quarter ?

Total collapse.

...If you take away the first 28 games and the last 9 we had a great season.lol :D

Interestingly if you take, near enough, his first quarter and last quarter of games since joining, he got 28 points and a Goal Difference of -43 (!!!!!)...enough to drop like a stone !!

However if you take the middle two quarters he got 48 points and a Goal Diff of -3.....enough for about 10th.

The stats (sorry to bring actual facts into it again !) actually do show we were improving.but we collapsed from December  - not March as someone said earlier - it is this collapse which concerns me.

The 1st Quartr, he had only just took over.

The next 2 quarters , improving all the time, if slowly.

The final quarter ?

Total collapse.

Except they don't unless you are just twisting them as many people seem to do.

2012/13: 41 points

2013/14: 38 points

I'm sorry but no objective individual can try and spin any sort of mantra of improvement from that. Dividing them into quaters etc. is completely irrelevant.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear...the stats do show we WERE improving -albeit slightly- into the first half of the se3ason just fineshed.

yes, by the end of the season we had not improved, we went backwards.

Which is why I was saying it is what happened in the final quarter that bothers me.

its what has happened in the 2 years that bothers me....or should i more aptly say 4 years.

Edited by TRO

Well I dont see any point in looking at 4 years as PL wasn't here.

And you obviously missed the point I was making as regards our perfromances, but as I know you are not an unintelligent fellow, I will assume it was deliberate so wont bother to try and put it over again.

• Like 1

Are people still arguing about points per games ratios and all  that?

The reality is the present mindset from the squad is get to 40 points and that's a good season and we've failed to even do that in 2/3 seasons.

To me a good season is getting 50 points or close to that.

Being around 40 points will mean you're on the fringes of a relegation battle each season.

We have been drip, drip fed excuses to the point that high expectation is been pedaled against us at c50 points. 50 points is almost laughed at in some quarters.

The inference from B6 is that our level of expectation is unrealistic, when in reality, all most of us want to see is a bit of progress and development in the players....There are so many examples of players development either standing still or regressing... we have young players who have just not, took up the mantle and progressed. 

• Like 1

Well I dont see any point in looking at 4 years as PL wasn't here.

And you obviously missed the point I was making as regards our perfromances, but as I know you are not an unintelligent fellow, I will assume it was deliberate so wont bother to try and put it over again.

referring to the club as opposed to the manager in question.

So for those who want Lambert out. Any thoughts on who would seriously take the job right now?

Doesnt matter does it cos apparently anyone would do a better job

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck in all probability its a duck.

I'm not sure what results he has to be responsible for before you say " yeah he's a duck" ;)

So for those who want Lambert out. Any thoughts on who would seriously take the job right now?

The thing is a better job might be a few places higher, mid table and no really threat of relegation lets say. A worse job would be relegation.

While Lerner owns the club I couldn't care less who is charge. It's gonna be shit and a struggle regardless. At least I know with the current manager as dire as it is we managed to stay up.

If on the other hand we are taken over I will be amazed if we do not have a new manager.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck in all probability its a duck.

I'm not sure what results he has to be responsible for before you say " yeah he's a duck" ;)

Eider thought going down.

• Like 1

The thing is a better job might be a few places higher, mid table and no really threat of relegation lets say. A worse job would be relegation.

While Lerner owns the club I couldn't care less who is charge. It's gonna be shit and a struggle regardless. At least I know with the current manager as dire as it is we managed to stay up.

If on the other hand we are taken over I will be amazed if we do not have a new manager.

For most of the season we had this, but a large section of people were annoyed that we weren't top 10 and that our style of play wasn't better. I'm not sure it properly reflects the mood in here over the course of the season to say that just mid-table would be considered a better job unless the goal posts have moved since the end of the season.

Something happened prior to or during the stoke game, we played well and like a team in the weeks leading up to that, once stoke scored and took control of the game we gave up on the season pretty much.

I would give him the first 10-15 games of next season irrespective of a takeover to see if getting rid of Culverhouse and karsa plus a summers break freshens things back up

• Like 1

And the fact is, by hook or by crook and although not aware of it at the time obviously, we were actually safe after the Chelsea game.

That was a long time ago so doesnt actually constitute a relegation battle in the truest sense of the phrase

• Like 3

For most of the season we had this, but a large section of people were annoyed that we weren't top 10 and that our style of play wasn't better. I'm not sure it properly reflects the mood in here over the course of the season to say that just mid-table would be considered a better job unless the goal posts have moved since the end of the season.

Well now we know officially that the owner has no interest what's so ever and wants out I would say the goal posts have moved significantly. Under this ownership the reality is staying up next season will be deemed as success. Anything else will be a bonus.

And the fact is, by hook or by crook and although not aware of it at the time obviously, we were actually safe after the Chelsea game.

That was a long time ago so doesnt actually constitute a relegation battle in the truest sense of the phrase

The 3 points from Hull was when we got effectively clear of relegation.
  • Like 1

The 3 points from Hull was when we got effectively clear of relegation.

We reached enough points for survival with the win against Chelsea (at that point we were on course for a comfortable mid table finish as well).

Â