Paul Lambert

limpid

No way has Lambert spent £22m net, it's way more. Can't think of any significant sales in the past two seasons. Off the top of my head he's signed Benteke (£7m) Okore (£5m) Kozak (£7m) Bennett (£3m) Vlaar (£4m) Luna (£1.5m) Lowton (£3m) Tonev (£2m)

Prove me wrong by all means, but in my opinion he's had enough money to produce better. The home form on its own is reason to sack him

I agree the home form on its own is a reason to sack him. But we should be able to not look at it on its own.

If you go along with the idea that Lambert's spend has been 40 million (I think it's been less), and he has signed 18 players, that's only just over 2 million per player. What can you expect for that kind of money? (And I'm going to assume you agree that the squad needed a major overhaul).

Here's my summary of Lambert's signings from the Match thread. It's absolutely definitive, of course :) :

Guzan: A brilliant, vital signing

Bowery: A shockingly bad player who cost nothing.

Sylla: A defensive midfielder when we needed one. Speculative purchase, hasn't worked out, didn't cost much.

Westwood: A semi-speculative purchase, has worked out very well, didn't cost much.

Bacuna: Another speculative purchase, has been excellent at times, poor at other times, didn't cost much.

Luna: A speculative purchase when we needed a LB to cover for the developing Bennett, didn't cost much.

Bennett: A speculative purchase, young and promising LB, hasn't worked out so far, but didn't cost much.

Lowton: A RB when we needed one, can't defend too well, but otherwise excellent, didn't cost much.

Steer: A backup goalie when we needed one, cost nothing.

Benteke: Hang on, what's this??? More than 5 million to spend??? Okay, we'll get this guy. A reasonable success?

Vlaar: Wait! a bit more money to spend? Not a fortune. Yes let's get this one too. Success!

Okore: Four million for a defender who was very highly rated and performed brilliantly in pre-season and before his injury. A proper signing coup by Lambert.

El alhmadi: A successful signing for the money we paid, I don't think anyone can really argue with that.

Kozak: Backup striker, 1 in 3 record for us so far: Cost either 7 million (in which case it's a qualified success) or 4 million, (in which case it's a brilliant signing)

Holt: Loan: Success.

Tonev: A speculative purchase, young and promising winger, hasn't worked out so far, but didn't cost much.

Bertrand: Loan: Success

Helenius: A speculative purchase, young and promising striker, injured recently, hasn't worked out so far, but he's young and didn't cost much.

I make that 8 million wasted and 32 million reasonably well spent. That is a very good record.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 2

If he gets a 3 year contract I won't be renewing my seat, and that'll be the first time in decades.

Can't take any more of his **** shit players, tactics and subs. He's a clueless clown.

• Like 1

This season has been incredibly disappointing. But we're showing all the signs of a mid-table team. Incredibly inconsistent. When you have a squad like that and throw in all the injuries we've had then it's going to make for a pretty shit season, which is exactly what it's been. Is it all Lambert's fault? Well no, i don't believe it is. But he's done himself no favours either.

What's dissapointing is the lack of any improvement. We've followed up a shocking season with another shocking season. And 2 years on from McLeish are we really much better?

Going by what we've seen on this pitch this season i'd have to say no, 2 years on from McLeish we're not much better, but our wage bill is, which seems to be definition of success for the club.

Woohoo, we comply with FFP, we win! 

This season has been incredibly disappointing. But we're showing all the signs of a mid-table team. Incredibly inconsistent. When you have a squad like that and throw in all the injuries we've had then it's going to make for a pretty shit season, which is exactly what it's been. Is it all Lambert's fault? Well no, i don't believe it is. But he's done himself no favours either.

What's dissapointing is the lack of any improvement. We've followed up a shocking season with another shocking season. And 2 years on from McLeish are we really much better?

Going by what we've seen on this pitch this season i'd have to say no, 2 years on from McLeish we're not much better, but our wage bill is, which seems to be definition of success for the club.

Woohoo, we comply with FFP, we win!

And surely we will win the league soon as we're the only club that seem to care about it. We just need to wait for the other 19 to be punished.

No better than McLeish

If he had managed the blues he wouldn't get half the excuses he gets week in week out

By all means keep blaming the lack of funding

With the squad he assembled we couldn't even beat league one opposition

Tactically limited and in general just a shit manager

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

These "records" are getting a bit boring now - most of them are utterly pointless.

Unless spending policy changes changing the manager won't really do much.

Ridiculous statement he's had over £40m and largely wasted it

You've had to take into account that he's had to completely rebuild the squad and can't offer much in wages.

Nope. As has already been shown, he hasn't "largely" wasted it.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 4

These "records" are getting a bit boring now - most of them are utterly pointless.

Most home losses in a single season? Pointless for sit at home fans maybe.

That's a bit out of line don't you think? I get to as many home games as I can. Accept that people are going to have opinions that differ from your own.

Once again you completely missed the point but clearly you wanted to get that pathetic dig in.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

I make that 8 million wasted and 32 million reasonably well spent. That is a very good record.

And another shit, record breaking season to show for it.

It's had it's moments, you have to admit. (And yes, quite a few shockers)

I put the blame on the following, in decreasing order:

Injuries to vital players; Young players being inconsistent; Small budget leading to purchase of second or third choice players; Lambert not being superhuman.

• Like 1

And how much did the managers in lower divisions have to spend when they consistently knock us out of cups?

Please don't go on about them being one off, because every game is one off. He can't raise the players he has purchased to put in  a performance.  The players are constantly flat with one or two exceptions. When was the last time the whole team played at a level we could be proud on? I'm not talking about wins.

The only positive out of today is that the vast majority of fans attending today want him out. Today was the final straw for many, that's the vibe I got inside the ground and walking back to the car.

We will lose at palace and then Southampton will crucify us at Easter at home and lambert will get both barrels from the fans

And how much did the managers in lower divisions have to spend when they consistently knock us out of cups?

Please don't go on about them being one off, because every game is one off. He can't raise the players he has purchased to put in  a performance.  The players are constantly flat with one or two exceptions. When was the last time the whole team played at a level we could be proud on? I'm not talking about wins.

They are one offs though. Do you honestly think the clubs that knocked us out of the cups could hold their own in the Premier League?

The only positive out of today is that the vast majority of fans attending today want him out. Today was the final straw for many, that's the vibe I got inside the ground and walking back to the car.

We will lose at palace and then Southampton will crucify us at Easter at home and lambert will get both barrels from the fans

Yes because even more negativity and moaning is exactly what VP needs right now.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

If he gets a 3 year contract I won't be renewing my seat, and that'll be the first time in decades.

Can't take any more of his **** shit players, tactics and subs. He's a clueless clown.

It should be cheaper in the championship though.

I don't blame you.

Â