Paul Lambert

limpid

I am hoping he gets a bit of bunce to spend in the summer.  We need to improve this team.  It is not good enough.  Jury still out on Lambert for me but willing to give him a chance.

With Hoolahan looking likley and a new contract for Albrighton - a big spending spree looks unlikley....(Imo)

No plan B at the moment.

If someone in the starting lineup gets injured we go to pot. As soon as Sylla and Albrighton came on we were doomed. It just didn't work.

Not the fault of Sylla and Albrighton, our system just requires us to play a certain way and if that falls apart we don't seem to have anything to fall back on.

Disappointing.

I've noted Mark making the point that when any of our first teamers become injured our performances take a nose dive because our second string just aren't up to the job of playing in the Premiership and he rarely blames Lambert for that due to the restrictions the manager is working under.

That's where I differ in that the manager has signed the players and should take some of the responsibility for those players just not being good enough.

If Lambert was sacked and that's not going to happen anytime soon then there would have to be another mass clear out not necessarily because the new manager would want his own players but simply that the majority of players signed by Lambert are not up to the required standard and more often than not he seems to have to purchase several players for one position until he hits on the right player. Not good when you are on a limited budget.

The difference for me is that the players that would/do need clearing out are both willing to go because they are young and hungry enough to want to play football and cheap enough that they're not seriously draining our resources.

That's not to defend certain signings who haven't been good enough. Lambert still signed them. But every manager does that.

The point is all the deadwood that we've been shifting have been on astronomical wages and, for the most part, don't seem to have been in any sort of hurry to move on. That isn't the case now.

yes I agree that beyond our first XI we're not blessed with much in the way of competent premier league players. BUT I'd like to think that these will be the players that are gradually moved on whilst being replaced with better players. 

Whereas for the last few years we've had to replace loads of players, all at once, with much much less money to do so.

The difference, I hope, is fairly obvious.

• Like 1

Yes that is fair enough and I've seen that argument banded about quite a lot on here. The difficulty with that opinion is that even if we do target our budget on quality rather than quantity in the summer if those players suffer injuries as they most certainly will do then we will still have to rely on the dross second string which he has purchased to replace those players which evidently aren't good enough.

I also feel that he could have purchased better. You can excuse those purchases by saying that he only had 2m per player but as we've seen you can get decent players for that money if you know where to look.

Before the performance against Chelsea I really was losing faith in the manager and I was buoyed with that performance but when you look at us under Lambert as a whole although there has been a marginal point increase I do not see the improvement in performance that I expected when Lambert first joined the club and for me that boils down to just not enough decent purchases in the transfer market.

Yes that is fair enough and I've seen that argument banded about quite a lot on here. The difficulty with that opinion is that even if we do target our budget on quality rather than quantity in the summer if those players suffer injuries as they most certainly will do then we will still have to rely on the dross second string which he has purchased to replace those players which evidently aren't good enough.

I also feel that he could have purchased better. You can excuse those purchases by saying that he only had 2m per player but as we've seen you can get decent players for that money if you know where to look.

I don't understand your point?

I'd like to think we'd add better players to our first XI. That would push whoever is currently in the first XI to the bench, and whoever was on the bench out of the squad (simplistically speaking)

Of course we're still going to have some of that "dross" (your words) for a while. But every team in our position has to do this. That's football. You try and improve the squad.

Yeah Lambert signed that "dross". But like I said, they're players who are likely to want to move on, aren't costing us the earth, and should be fairly easy to shift if and when we replace them with better players.

Your second paragraph is a totally different point and one I can't really be bothered to get into because the debate has been had a thousand times in a thousand threads and I might end up pulling my eyeballs out.

Edited by Stevo985

34 is our points total after 30 games since O'Neill left

2010/2011 16th 33

2011/2012 15th 33

2012/2013 18th 30

2013/2014 11th 34

There you go then, gradual improvement whilst shifting the wage drainers.  Job going to plan.  I just hope there will be some investment to push on.

If the season finished on 30 games, that would be correct.

Heaviest defeat in the clubs history

Two consecutive relegation haunted struggles

Record home losses

Dirge football

Knocked out of FA cup by league two and league one sides

Knocked out of League Cup by a league two side over two legs

Baffling tactics

ah, the sweet sweet smell of progress under Lambert.

• Like 1

Record home losses

Dirge football

Baffling tactics

That was all prior to yesterday so whats your point? All of those points mentioned were the same after we beat Chelsea, or were you saving all this for after a loss.

Edited by SikhInTrinity
  • Like 3

Record home losses

Dirge football

Baffling tactics

Yes I totally agree and the excuses will keep rolling out about the restricted budget and cost cutting needed but that side yesterday just rolled over without a fight. Many a side has done well with a motivated bunch of players fighting for each other on a weekly basis. This lot get motivated for the big teams and give up easily against everyone else.

Lambert needs to sort this lack of motivation out.

Plus at half time what did Lambert actually say 'carry on how your playing now we're doing OK'?

He also needs to learn how to react in games to injuries and conceded goals. We have one style of play and everyone has to shoe horn into it. Pathetic management.

Record home losses

Dirge football

Baffling tactics

hmmm haven't been below 13th all season and whilst yes mathmatically like 10 other teams you can say we are in it, but we've been knowhere near the thick of it.

Record home losses

Dirge football

Baffling tactics

Yes I totally agree and the excuses will keep rolling out about the restricted budget and cost cutting needed but that side yesterday just rolled over without a fight. Many a side has done well with a motivated bunch of players fighting for each other on a weekly basis. This lot get motivated for the big teams and give up easily against everyone else.

Lambert needs to sort this lack of motivation out.

Plus at half time what did Lambert actually say 'carry on how your playing now we're doing OK'?

He also needs to learn how to react in games to injuries and conceded goals. We have one style of play and everyone has to shoe horn into it. Pathetic management.

We have the best record in the league for coming from behind.

I'm all for criticism where it's due but the lambert out brigade continually come up with guffy rubbish.

Also it was crap before he came, we hadn't won back to back games since MON left!

As for the person who said Lambert probably just sent them back out saying were doing ok..... That plainly wasn't the case as they started chasing and were fired up started making rash challenges, and getting carded.

In my opinion they were SO fired up for the second half they tried too much and couldn't get any sort of fluid play going.

They'd obviously had a talking to but rightly so.

Problem was there was no experiecned head in there calling the shots and talking to people.

Gabby might as well have sat down at the corner flag for the second half such was his contribution (in fact he may well have done for all i know). Where was our longest serving player! I'd like to see Vlaar bieng more vociferous too. Someone should have got hold of these kids and told them it's not about 10 outfiedl players running round like crazy. It's about pressing as a team and forcing the mistakes. When you have the ball its about movement, patience and guile. We have none of these.

There's no point in one player sprinting his backside off to close a player down when no one else thinks they have to do it too. Easy ball out and one player knackered for no reason. Everyone has to close down the space across the whole pitch otherwise you may as well just let the opposition pass it round you.

Credit to Stoke for playing well but we really made them look much much better than they actually are. I've seen Sunday League teams that could have played against us yesterday and got a result.

That was all prior to yesterday so whats your point? All of those points mentioned were the same after we beat Chelsea, or were you saving all this for after a loss.

Let me just reply to that ...

All those points were the same after Chelsea, and yesterday, CORRECT

And that's why for the last YEAR at least i've been 100% convinced he's a truly desperate manager and one that wont just wont do,

And you're correct when you say that didn't change after beating Chelsea last week either, because i knew full well he couldn't follow it up.

He's shit. His staff are shit and I don't need to prove it. The facts do that on my behalf far better than I could.

• Like 1

Let me just reply to that ...

All those points were the same after Chelsea, and yesterday, CORRECT

And that's why for the last YEAR at least i've been 100% convinced he's a truly desperate manager and one that wont just wont do,

And you're correct when you say that didn't change after beating Chelsea last week either, because i knew full well he couldn't follow it up.

He's shit. His staff are shit and I don't need to prove it. The facts do that on my behalf far better than I could.

Like he couldn't follow it up against chelsea after beating Norwich?

The facts also state we have improved from last yr. The difference is they are facts you ignore.

I'd wager they got a bollocking, and some hand clapping but absolutely zero tactical ideas. Unless they were told 'i have a great idea,i'll bring our only winger on and play him in the middle of the pitch' which led to them all falling about in hysterics putting their minds off the game

Lol, how could they NOT improve on last year ?, is that supposed to be taken as an achievement ?

That's like claiming a kick in the head is better than a kick in the balls!

Calling anything this season progression is truly the sound of desperate people who wont let the facts speak for themselves.

Edited by Ulver

I'd wager they got a bollocking, and some hand clapping but absolutely zero tactical ideas. Unless they were told 'i have a great idea,i'll bring our only winger on and play him in the middle of the pitch' which led to them all falling about in hysterics putting their minds off the game

Why would that have been said at half time? Albrighton came on after 30 minutes (to play behind the strikers, not CM). You did watch the game, right?

Why would that have been said at half time? Albrighton came on after 30 minutes (to play behind the strikers, not CM). You did watch the game, right?

i can only wish i hadn't watched it ...

pretty much the same as everyone else over the last 2 seasons

Lol, how could they NOT improve on last year ?, is that supposed to be taken as an achievement ?

That's like claiming a kick in the head is better than a kick in the balls!

Calling anything this season progression is truly the sound of desperate people who wont let the facts speak for themselves.

How could they not improve on last year? Well, they could have mirrored the year before last, for a start.

And if you claim we couldn't fail to improve this season then how can you regard anything as not being progress?

Â