Paul Lambert

limpid

How does one bad performance show that the two good performances that came before it were a blip?

Because it was the same as the vast majority of games before those two performances.

Don't know about "vast". Fact is we've been on the whole decent in 2014 so far. If we carry on over the next few games with similar performances then fair enough it would be fair to say Liverpool and West Brom were blips but you can't make that judgement after just one game.

The only thing that concerns me about Lambert is that I feel he is still trying to work out his best XI. And seeing as it's coming up to 2 years now this seems a little bizarre. I get the formation changes to deal with different teams away but I think by now we should have a settled formation and team for home matches that should only be tinkered with when players are out injured.

Mind you, I've felt all season, win lose or draw, I wouldn't want anybody else managing the club that's realistic and available right now. I can't see us getting any higher than 10th and I can't see us anywhere near relegation either. This shows progression I wouldn't have believed we were capable of 12 months ago when I was almost certain we were going down.

I think our first team is looking more and more like a decent premier league outfit, I think we just need to plug in a few holes with quality in the summer, and stick to the old Norwich formation of 4-3-1-2

I'd say now players who should be in our team are

guzan

RB - VLAAR - OKORE - BERTRAND

BACUNA - CM - delph

CAM

weimann - agbonlahor

that would be presuming Benteke is sold and Bertrand signs permanently, I have every faith Okore will turn into a class CB. I would also put Lowton at RB if these reported personal issues get sorted.

So for me it's a case of settling the formation, playing more attractive football at home and then getting in 2 quality midfielders in the summer alongside 2-3 decent back-up options, CB back-up is a must. Then we need to start moving on some of the players that haven't quite worked out if they aren't happy with not featuring regularly. KEA, Bennett, Bowery etc. This would mean with 3 additions that are good enough to slot in the team alongside bench players like Clark, Westwood, Sylla, Luna, Baker, Kozak we'll start looking like quite a solid squad rather than an average team with good players

You realise its gonna be very hard to build a team seeing as soon as our players come good they will be sold. You have said Benteke will most likely be sold in the summer. I doubt we will replace him with similar quality so dropping us back to square one every season. Bertrand only needs a offer from a higher placed team and he will be gone too.

With Gabby out, it was obvious we were going to have to go with 2 up top.

This leaves the questions of whether we kept a back 4 or played Weiman off Benteke

For me, it is easy with the benefit of hindsight to criticise team selection. I would have gladly accepted a point beforehand &ultimately, we weren't far off achieving this.

The performance (especially 2nd half) was very disappointing with almost 45 mins being played in our own half. I am happy to criticise the 2nd half performance but not the choice of formation. For me, there is no right or wrong way to play football. I was at the game yesterday & I heard no complaints around me or in the pub beforehand when the team was announced.

I just look at it as part of the development. Hopefully the players will gain experience from this kind of performance & we can add a biy more quality in the summer. Somehow Lerner has either got to back his manager or sell for a realistic price & cut his losses.

I'm expecting Benteke to be gone next season so we will have taken a massive backward step. Kovac will have missed half a season that would have helped gain experience-We need 2 midfielders to play alongside Delph, a central defender & a right back (as well as praying that somehow we can keep Bertram) Without this, we will stand still.

• Like 1

With Gabby out, it was obvious we were going to have to go with 2 up top.

This leaves the questions of whether we kept a back 4 or played Weiman off Benteke

For me, it is easy with the benefit of hindsight to criticise team selection. I would have gladly accepted a point beforehand &ultimately, we weren't far off achieving this.

The performance (especially 2nd half) was very disappointing with almost 45 mins being played in our own half. I am happy to criticise the 2nd half performance but not the choice of formation. For me, there is no right or wrong way to play football. I was at the game yesterday & I heard no complaints around me or in the pub beforehand when the team was announced.

I just look at it as part of the development. Hopefully the players will gain experience from this kind of performance & we can add a biy more quality in the summer. Somehow Lerner has either got to back his manager or sell for a realistic price & cut his losses.

I'm expecting Benteke to be gone next season so we will have taken a massive backward step. Kovac will have missed half a season that would have helped gain experience-We need 2 midfielders to play alongside Delph, a central defender & a right back (as well as praying that somehow we can keep Bertram) Without this, we will stand still.

For a fan who goes to away games and is obviously a big supporter of our club, im hoping this is just a typo.  Kozak!!!!!

• Like 1

Away from home we are reliant on one player in terms of the way we play and that is Gabby. If he was fit yesterday I think we go in to the game with a completely different approach.

As soon as he picked Grant Holt to start up top alongside Benteke then the writing was on the wall. Soak up the pressure then when we do get the ball lump it up front, hope it sticks and we could get Bertrand and Bacuna bursting forward. It didn't work though as aside from the goal as an attacking threat we were non existent.

The bottom line really is that our squad is very weak and when one of our main players is out - Gabby, Benteke, Delph, Vlaar it has a way bigger impact on the team than it should do due to the fact the standard of the replacements are simply not good enough.

The squad lacks strength in depth and had gaping holes before the window opened and those same holes remain now - no creative midfilder, lack of a decent defensive midfielder, quality cover at centre back. I think the reason we didn't bring those players in is simply because we didn't have the financial clout to do so and I find it shocking that as a club we did not have the finances to bring in at the very least a centre back that would be an improvement on Baker.

The club has been doing things on the cheap for way too long and has just about gotten away with it so far. Eventually though we will pay a heavy price if we continue to act like a small club no matter who the manager is.

As usual another cracking post Mark but the financial restrictions won't be lifted until we get a new owner and let's hope that comes in the summer.

Â